“Outstanding!”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York City, New York
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

They keep doing this right here and I'll keep on returning. Elegant, but not stuffy, prisitne property, and customer focused staff. Special kudos to Jarred at the Oasis and Austin? at front desk, both are great ambassadors for the Phoenician brand.

Room Tip: Third floor and above in main building some nice views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bobk1717
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback – we will be sure to share your kind words with the ambassadors mentioned in your review. We are delighted to hear that you had another outstanding stay at The Phoenician! We hope to welcome you back for many years to come.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I enjoyed three days at the Phoenician, and I stayed another couple of days for a conference.

It's a beautiful, sprawling property -- we were in the North Wing which is a bit of a hike from the lobby, but offers quieter and larger rooms, which is probably worth it. Ask to face the mountain, it's a gorgeous view and especially quiet. Our room and its bath was spacious and well appointed, with fast WiFi. Service was consistently good at check in, valet, what have you.

We played two of the the Phoenician's three 9-hole golf courses. Beautiful courses, great for middling golfers (generous fairways, forgiving greens, and only a couple of very serious challenges). Staff was fabulous.

We played tennis at the tennis center twice, nice staff and good facilities, but a definite hike to get there. A bit expensive to be honest, and the grass court (always fun) was closed for overseeding.

The pool complex is beautiful and is broken up into loads of smaller areas which creates a lot more quiet and more personalized service that you'd get in comparable pool complexes. The adults-only area is a nice touch. We had no trouble getting chaises without having to come down at an early hour or needing to rent a cabana.

Over the trip, we ate at pretty much every restaurant in the place as well as room service and poolside service, and every food service point was competent with friendly, professional service. Nothing to blow you away, cooking wise, but nothing to complain about, either.

Did not use in-room television or fitness center. Business center was fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed your time at The Phoenician and we hope to welcome you back sometime soon – whether for business or pleasure!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Don't let the common areas fool you. This hotel is badly in need of an update. Service, food quality and cleanliness is not the greatest. We stay here repeatedly with conferences...our firm must get a good deal because in the past we have stayed at two other much better hotels in the Phoenix area yet for some reason we keep coming back:(

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Foxjax
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to learn of your displeasure with our resort. Embracing a service culture that features ongoing training and attention to detail, complemented by a diverse, award-winning culinary program, The Phoenician is committed to reaching beyond expectation to deliver the exceptional. From our second meeting facility, the Camelback Ballroom, to three new restaurants, the AAA Five Diamond property has invested more than $100 million in construction and enhancements during the last five years. We hope you will visit us again so that we may demonstrate what makes us one of the most preferred conference destinations in the nation.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

If you like big, sprawling resort properties ( 9 swimming pools, 3 -9 hole golf courses ), this is for you. The property, while it shows some signs of age and need for refurbishment, is flawlessly maintained. The staff have obviously been well-trained, as the standard of service is not only high, it is very consistent.

Reflecting its size, there is a wide range of accommodation types available, from conventional hotel rooms with no view, to golf course villas to casitas.
Food is pricy ( fish sandwich, salad and a beer poolside $ 48.00 ). Although there are 9 pools, one of which is described as " the relaxation " pool, with children banned, you cannot get away from the piped-in music. if you want a quiet time by the pool, you can't do it here.

The onsite J&G Steakhouse ( which turns out to be a Jean Georges restaurant ) is excellent.

Be advised that there is presently construction underway at the both the extreme east and west ends of the property, so that if you are located at either end, on weekdays you will hear heavy equipment, jackhammers, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We truly appreciate your comments regarding our ambassadors and the exceptional service you received during your stay. However, we do regret any inconvenience experienced as a result of the ongoing construction. We are happy to report that our pool renovation is scheduled for completion in February. Thanks again for sharing your observations with us – we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Let me start by saying that I've stayed in a lot of expensive hotels touted as luxury 4 or 5-star resorts and I would almost never agree. I really enjoyed my stay here for a conference and would absolutely recommend it.

Staff: Professional at every turn. No messing around on the job, which I have come to appreciate. Everyone called me Mrs. but it wasn't overly formal. Everyone smiled and said good morning - housekeeping, random employees walking by. They left me a plate of cookies for my birthday - I assume they noticed my birthday from my brunch reservation.

Rooms: I was disappointed in my room at first because of the carpet. They really should change stained or bunched up carpet. But that was the only issue. I could throw a stone to Camelback mountain from my balcony so the view was lovely. The bed provided an excellent night's sleep. The bathroom was very spacious with the nice big standalone shower and the counter space was fantastic. Hair dryer not great.

Property: Gorgeous. The conference held an outdoor Moroccan themed party at the Jokake Inn. Wow. Maybe it was the lighting on all of the vegetation but it was almost magical. The permanent bar was huge so we could grab and drink and stand around it to chat. I would definitely hold a party at this location. I went for a short run around the property before heading to a nearby neighborhood for a longer course. If you want to walk, you can stay on the property and enjoy the views of Camelback mountain. The walk to Camelback Mountain trailhead is short from the hotel. In the winter you will appreciate this - I once had to park 1.5 miles from the trailhead so the location is rock star.

Conference Space: I could go on and on. Best I've ever seen. Decor is lovely. Meetings spaces cool, but not freezing. We got to eat outside at every meal and there were umbrellas to help with the sun.

Conference Food: Outstanding except for breakfast. Breakfast pancakes pretty tough but when we had eggs I liked them. Lunch was delicious - lots of fresh vegetables to choose from in salad form, grilled form, and steamed form but all were flavorful. Meat was well-prepared - not overcooked. Desserts were small so I could indulge without eating a ton or have a selection of a few if I was ready to chow-down.

Il Terrazzo: My parents took me to brunch. I thought I wouldn't be full with the 3-course brunch but I was full in the first two and my food was delicious. I had Juevos Rancheros and loved it. The pork was tender so I could cut it with a fork, the egg yolk was perfectly runny, and I liked the texture of the crunch tortilla at the bottom. Enjoyed the seared Ahi as my first course - very well prepared and the portion was much larger than expected. Bottomless mimosas too! We took the last seating and the coffee was pretty burned by then but that was fine.

One issue with the outdoor seating - they HAVE to do something about the birds. It almost ruined brunch for us. Birds are all over any food that gets left out (after diners leave). Bus the tables faster or find a bird mitigation technique (no need to poison them, there's plenty of ways to do this).

Location: Easy to drive to Scottsdale for shopping and excellent dining.

Room Tip: Grab a mountain view if you can. It's quiet, private, and beautiful for sunrise/sunset.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kab77
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank for taking the time to share your many helpful and insightful thoughts and observations. We are very proud of our resort and are happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay! We are committed to providing a seamless experience for guests, and we regret that your brunch was anything less than exceptional. We appreciate the focused comments regarding areas in which we can improve. Please know that your concerns have been shared with our management team so that we can make the necessary improvements. Thank you again – we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the first time in almost 20 years and while the resort is starting to show some age it was still truly wonderful.

It all starts at the front door with the valets and bell men taking your bags and car swiftly, whisking you in and the warm faces of the front desk staff. Not quite St. Regis warm, but close.

We stayed in a casita (building B - try to get a Casita on the inner circle) instead of the hotel proper, and with all of the pool construction taking place it was a bit of a circuitous walk to get to the hotel proper, but the staff graciously picked us up in golf carts as we needed. It was an easy walk to the gym and golf club though and to the pools, had they not been under construction.

The restaurants were very good, we ate a lot of catered meals in the convention but ate in the steak house for dinner one night - steak was fabulous, only gripe was the wine list, a little limited and overpriced.

If you are a golfer, as I am, you will be a little disappointed in the courses. They were very nice and well maintained (Canyons is the best of the 3) but they are short and designed to be resort courses - they are just not Estancia or Troon North. But, as a family resort they are perfect.

The gym was excellent, great selection of machines, free weights and plenty of cardio machines - never had a problem getting what I wanted. Large studio for classes/stretching that I did not use but others did.

Overall, the service was top notch and the facilities were excellent. Luxurious towels, quality items and service make this a perfect place for a romantic retreat, conference center and when the pools are done (they have like 5 of them so it's not like there wasn't plenty of pool available) frankly, I can't think of a better family spot in AZ.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful review – we are flattered! We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent experience at The Phoenician, and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights following a trip to the Grand Canyon. I am Gold, and they upgraded me (I had booked a standard casita) at checkin to a 'lagoon view.' However, this casita seemed like a stepcousin to the casitas facing the pool - it was remote, dark, and also overlooked construction. I went back to the front desk, and the check-in agent was great in finding me a similar room in a better location. I was very satisfied with the service in general, from the bartender (Sean) at the Camel Lounge to the servers at Relish Bistro. I thought the room furnishings were a bit dated, and couldn't believe they still had the old-fashioned thermometers (round, with a dial) in the rooms.

One disappointment (first world problems, but hey I'm paying an astronomical resort fee) is that I didn't get any turn-down service the first night, and the second night, someone came by at 10:00 p.m., which in my opinion is way too late. Perhaps it was because I was in a casita and not in the main hotel, but they need to step that up.

One great thing, if you are a fitness buff, you can walk to Camelback and hike there and back while everyone else needs to find street parking. Very convenient.

Was it the best hotel experience I've ever had? no. It was perfectly servicable, which isn't the best for a Luxury Collection. If I had gone in peak season, and paid a lot more, I would have been much more disappointed. But, the weather was good, I slept well, I ate and drank well, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy the front desk could find a room to your liking so you could enjoy the views and relax. We pride ourselves on delivering AAA Five Diamond service, and we are disappointed that we missed the mark during turndown. We can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of our standards, and we will review your comments with our housekeeping managers. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,596 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!