“Luxurious - Excellent Experience”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband was on a business trip and conference held at the resort. The weather was very nice the first two days then we got rain and a bit cooler but the pool was still incredible. They were doing some construction work in the upper levels which affected the experience at the pool and we couldn't really use our patio due to the noise, but evenings were fine and I do understand the work has to be done some time; you just always wish it was at a different time than when you'll be staying there. Anyway, the room was plush, luxurious, very spacious with staff attending to small details. I thoroughly enjoyed my short walks through the cactus garden and if you are a photographer, you can get some great macro work done there. Several eating options and all can cater to my unusual food allergies with the Relish Burger Bistro going above and beyond with a menu that not only lists gluten but 7 other allergens under each menu item. That was a rare treat for me. I loved this resort and hope to stay again some day with more time (and less construction).

Room Tip: I'm not sure of the exact room names or groupings but we were a stone's throw from the lower...
1  Thank Lori H
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay – including the accommodations, dining selections, cactus garden and Oasis Pool Complex. We hope to welcome you back in the near future so that we may provide you with another excellent experience!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at the Phoenician in Nov 2013 for a 5-day conference and was most pleased with the service, accommodations, location and food. All of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful...valet, bellmen, desk clerks, restaurant, and conference/catering staff. My room was very spacious and nice, and I LOVED that my room had a coffee machine (not common in luxury hotels these days).

Room Tip: Get a room close to the elevators
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s wonderful to hear that your 5 day visit was an enjoyable one! We hope to welcome you back again soon – whether for business or pleasure!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have traveled to the Phoenician 4-5 times over the last 5 years, and my recent trip was my best. The resort is really stepping up its game in terms of service and care of the property. Really executing very well on all of the small things, which collectively made for a true luxury experience. Wonderful stay all around, and hope to come back soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. To hear that we are getting better with age is truly an outstanding compliment – and one that we are quite proud of! Our ambassadors are dedicated to providing exceptional service to our guests, and it’s always wonderful to have the small personalized touches acknowledged. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Second visit and it still wows my wife. A classic style of luxury. Outstanding restaurants and amenities. Service is exceptional as are the spa and entertainment. The Phoenician is one heck of a place to relax as well as for business meetings.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are absolutely thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed our signature amenities, Five-Diamond service, Centre for Well-Being and “outstanding” restaurants. We hope to welcome you back soon for your third visit. Happy holidays!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We spent our anniversary here over the weekend. Had never been to this resort. It is so well maintained. The grounds are beautiful. Pools are beautiful. The interior was decorated for the Holidays and beautiful. The staff was very attentive and welcoming. Just the experience we were looking for and hoping to get. No disappointments.

Room Tip: We stayed in their basic room that overlooked the pools. I think every room has the same view if yo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay – and for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion at The Phoenician. We are delighted to hear that your first trip to our resort was a memorable one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future! Happy holidays!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed for 5 days in a Guestroom Casita at the Phoenician, using our Starwood points, what a wonderful experience! Large, super comfy beds, extra large bathroom with separate sink areas, nice tub, big shower and even a walk-in closet! Nice, big flat screen TV (happy hubby!), sitting area outside facing Camelback Mtn and the pools.Even with extensive pool work being done at the time of our stay, that didn't take anything away from the atmosphere.
A bit on the cold side, but nice and sunny to enjoy the grounds and the beautiful gardens, including the Cactus Garden with pretty Christmas lights in the evening.
Staff and service were great!
Great experience at the "Relish" restaurant at the Golf Club, we went there twice, great Happy Hour from 3:30 pm...
A wonderful way to feel very special in a classy resort!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us. It’s wonderful to hear that your recent five day stay at The Phoenician was an enjoyable one! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Happy holidays!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

For me back for the first time in over ten years, the Phoenician Resort has been a recurring meeting place for my wife's business. But for this weekend, it a fun getaway weekend for the both of us. My wife loves the health spa, I love the Scottsdale golf scene and we both were looking forward to hiking the desert trails.

Overall, things turned out great, but we were initially very disappointed with the loud jack-hammering going on with the pool rehab project. What I thought would be a show stopper is now a faded distant memory; so many other good things figuratively muffled-out the noise. By the time we were leaving, we were already making plans to come back.

The Phoenician is located at the foothills of the Camelback Mountains in Scottsdale. The resort is a very luxurious hotel, a main building with normal hotel rooms, conference meeting areas, luxury shopping, multiple tiers of swimming pools, and a perimeter of smaller 2 story cottage like building with semi-private rooms, called Casida Guestrooms -- we stayed at one right next to the golf course and Centre for Well-Being spa -- which my wife loved!!

Room. Our Casida Guestroom had a beautiful view of Camelback mountain and the swimming pool complex. The room had a nice king sized bed, huge master bathroom with big shower, jacuzzi-style bathtub, two sinks, and walk-in closet. The room had a normal flatscreen TV, Internet (included with the room) with both wired and wireless connections, and for a nice touch the turn-down service set the clock radio to some really nice mood music. We didn't use the room mini-bar.

Golf. Our room was across the access lane from the Phoenician golf course. I played a couple of rounds there first day on the Desert, the second day on the Canyon course. The courses were in excellent condition, even though the morning tee times were delayed by frost. The course runs along the foothills of the mountain, making for some really nice low-to-high and high-to-low golf shots; overall, I consider the courses mid-difficulty, not that hard. The course edges up to the desert and we saw beautiful desert plants, roadrunners, and quail. The pro-shop and starter staff did a great job. I was thrilled when they recognized my 10 year old bag tag from my prior Phoenician visit.

Poolside. While the weather was cool (low 50s) and we weren't planning on much swimming, we were disappointed that half of the pools were being rehabbed. Loud jackhammers spoiled the poolside atmosphere. But on Saturday, the workers took a break and we spent the late afternoon by the mother of pearl pool. My wife even swam in it; (yes, it was a heated pool); I covered myself in beach towels. A separate time, we sat by the fire on the outdoor patio. While cool, the sky was clear with very little wind. Very refreshing -- and much better conditions that the snow and ice falling over the rest of the country. Both times, the Phoenician staff did a great job taking care of us.

Food and Drink. The lobby level has a piano bar -- a very nice place to relax and have drinks; we heard 3 different live performances. On Saturday night we had dinner at the J&G Steakhouse; there, we had a really fine dinner, a great view of the Phoenix sunset, and yet another excellent live band. The J&G was packed; it was a lively hopping place!!

While we saw a couple of families, the resort seemed to cater more to business functions and conferences. We were thrilled when the golf starter called out for the St Louis Rams group to tee off.

If you are still reading this far down, you need to understand that this is a really nice luxury resort -- these are code words for: It's expensive! We knew this coming here, and overall, it is competitive with other luxury places we've stayed over the last couple of years.

Hiking. New for me, we went hiking. My wife's business meetings usually included some kind of activity in the desert. She took us to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Here, the desert trails run along the foothills of the McDowell Mountain Range about 30 minutes North East from our hotel. We hiked the Lost Dog Wash Trail, the Bajada Nature Trail, and the Gateway Loop Trail. This was beautiful. We saw big beautiful Saguaro cactus as well as barrel and cholla cactus. Much more lush than I ever thought a desert would be.

Basketball Game. We went to the Phoenix Suns vs Toronto Raptors basketball game at the US Airways Center in downtown Phoenix. We went straight from the hiking trails to the game. The game was fun, very good play from both teams; we sat near some visitors from Canada. The courtside announcer was full of energy; the dance crew, the gorilla, and the contests between the basketball timeouts were fun. The stadium was new and the facilities were really nice. We were able to park close and cheap.

Room Tip: Make reservations. We did so at the restaurant, spa and golf course. It is ok to stay at the Casida...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your detailed review and insightful comments. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy many of our signature amenities during your stay! Maintaining a 250-acre luxury resort does require periodic updates, and we do apologize for any inconvenience experienced as a result of the noise. With that being said, we are extremely excited about our pool renovation, which is scheduled for completion in February. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to have you as our guest in 2014!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!