“Casitas need help!”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The resort is beautiful, staff very friendly, but the casitas are in desperate need of updating. I booked a surprise 25th anniversary trip for my husband and I thinking the casitas were going to be lovely and romantic. I have stayed in other resorts in Arizona that were perfect but this one fell short of my expectation. From the pictures the rooms look huge, advertised at 530 sq. ft. but I highly doubt that is true. We constantly were running into each other. The hall way barely fit one person through it to get to the bathroom. The carpeting is worn down to the backing and had stains in several places. I did request a different room on three different occasions but they could not accommodate us. Also the decorative pillows had stains as well as the shears to the patio and the drapes were falling off in the corner. For a five star resort these things should not be overlooked. I really think they spend so much time and money on the grounds they are overlooking the rooms.
This room was nothing more then an average room at a Holiday Inn at 7 times the cost. Save your money. Also, they say a short walk to the main building, no way, up stairs down stairs, and if there is a corporate party you have to detour around up elevators walk across to other elevators etc. because you can't get through to get to your restaurant. You can have a cart pick you up or drive there but that isn't what I planned on. Also they say you can park outside of your casita but the spot that says "Casita Parking" is always full with cars from people visiting the restaurant or golfing so you had to go to the parking garage which is a bit of a distance. We're in our 70's so it was not convenient. They should have the parking marked and have a sticker for your car and tow the cars that don't belong there.
There were four issues with the restaurants in eight days but they were addressed, a five star resort shouldn't be serving cold food so when they were correcting it one of us was eating alone. It should never happen in the first place.
Save your money and don't get the buffet, it's not worth the price. They do not have a big selection.
They also need someone who knows how to make omelets properly.
The other restaurants in there are just average, nothing to brag about.
All in all, just glad to get away from cold Chicago but never would choose Phoenician again.
There are other beautiful resorts out there. Choose wisely, I thought I was but got fooled.

Room Tip: Forget casitas!!!! Don't know about the main building rooms,I was in 7153 nice view of mountain...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are deeply disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your Phoenician stay, especially as you were celebrating your 25th anniversary. We work diligently to ensure that our AAA Five Diamond standards are not only met, but exceeded. From service levels and signature amenities, to accommodations and cuisine, we are continually innovating and enhancing our resort offerings. This includes regular renovations and upgrades throughout. Since 2008, more than $100 million in capital projects have been completed. Please know that your review has been shared with the appropriate department managers to make certain we are exceeding our guests’ expectations. Your comments serve as a valuable measurement tool toward that end. We do hope you will visit us again, so that we may demonstrate the overall beauty of The Phoenician experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,230)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stupendous architecture and access to nature. Guests were obnoxious and snobbish but the staff handled them expertly. Loved our room and room service on a "Mister" basis. Beautiful art objects on display and a pool to for die for. Duck pond was comfortable, especially for the ducks. Popular for conferences although many of the conferees I observed were off the wagon. I have never seen so many examples of desperate plastic surgery among the guests. There must be a big class difference among guests and I felt out of place as lower on the food chain. I saw My first Bentley parked at the front. Our cab driver was from Ghana and the front guard gave him a hard time. I would say that security was on its toes displaying many hard looks. It was like being at a museum.

Room Tip: West side second floor. View of the front of camel backmountain and cactus garden.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lordegbert

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your kind remarks regarding your guestroom, the resort grounds, and our in-room dining service. We are, however, saddened to hear you felt out of place. From family-friendly activities, to romantic dining options, to girls’ and guys’ getaway offerings, The Phoenician truly has something for everyone. Our service culture is one where each and every guest is treated with the utmost respect, as we strive to provide both a memorable and personalized experience for all. From the resort’s multi-million dollar art collection to its nine pools; from the house-made breads featured at our Il Terrazzo restaurant to the gourmet burgers of Relish Burger Bistro, The Phoenician experience is one of discovery, relaxation and fun. Please do visit us again, so we can demonstrate what our resort is really all about.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

It's been awhile since I stayed at this hotel, but I recently attended a business conference here, and had a terrific experience, starting with the complimentary water bottles as we were checking in, a very nice touch.

The conference rooms (large and small) were very good, and the business center was efficient. All the hotel staff (bartenders, waitresses, pool, front desk, bellmen, greeters, cleaners, etc.) were unfailingly courteous and helpful.

I am not a "pool" person, but the variety of pools, and the facilities for sunbathing, seemed ideal to my untrained eye.

I enjoyed sitting on the patio in front of my room, listening to the water fountain and relaxing. Seems to me that this hotel has a lot to offer both the business and leisure traveler.

Recommended.

I managed to demagnetize my room "key" on consecutive days which required a long walk to and from the front desk, apparently a not uncommon problem. I think the hotel could institute a system that avoids this problem.

We walked through the Cactus Garden, definitely not for everyone but worthwhile for those of us with an interest in this sort of thing.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the two story small buildings ranged around the park like area beyond the swimmin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We are so glad that we were able to welcome you back for another terrific experience! Whether for business of pleasure, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The town is full of high class hotels and this is one of the best. Everything is good including service, food and facilities such as golf swimming tennis etc.
The rooms are beyond reproach and the location is great

David T

Room Tip: overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed The Phoenician’s Five-Star service, restaurants and signature amenities! We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Scottsdale.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I love this hotel! They go out of their way to insure you are enjoying your luxury hotel experience (including with my 8 year old son). Concierge: I cannot say enough good things about the concierge. She was helpful with many things including, finding dinner reservations on a busy a Valentine’s Day and finding adventures for my son (and making him feel special the whole time). Funicians (kid’s club): We had no plans use the kids club services but stopped by to check it out. My son had such a great discussion with her that he decided to stay and begged to go back the next day. Dining: I have a number of allergies -several are severe. The whole resort was great with accommodating these allergies but I wanted to call out the Chef at Relish. Not only was the food fantastic at Relish (yummy), but the Chef's care with talking into account food allergies was remarkable. Spa: Great experience. Pool: A big hit with my son.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We sincerely appreciate your glowing commendation of our resort and are delighted that you and your son had such a wonderful time! We know that traveling with allergies can often be stressful, which is why we are absolutely thrilled to hear that our culinary team was able to accommodate all of your dietary needs. We will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the Ambassadors highlighted in your review. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, especially once our new splash pad is complete – we know your son is going to love it! Thanks again for choosing The Phoenician.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Given that I posted a lukewarm review of The Phoenician a couple of years ago, I feel compelled to post on our thoroughly enjoyable recent experience there. It was a business/pleasure trip for me, and a 100% pleasure trip for my wife. Every service encounter we had was top notch. From Violeta in the coffee/ice cream shop (good to see her there every year!) to Samuel around the pool to Lidia at Il Terrazzo to the front desk help to the guys/gals in the golf and tennis shops, everything was “my pleasure”, “no problem”, “yes, sir”, etc. They couldn’t have been any nicer or more interested in pleasing the customer.

The food at Il Terrazzo (several breakfasts, one lunch and one group business dinner) was superb. The mahi-mahi sandwich from the pool menu was one of the single best lunch choices that I’ve had in quite some time.

The room was more than adequate, with the bedding being so good that I’ve already been on a website this morning trying to find the equivalent for our own home.

The only hiccups of the entire trip actually represented opportunities to shine. Lunch at Il Terrazzo on our day of arrival took forever to arrive and the server seemed kind of oblivious about how long it was taking. They ended up knocking 50% off the bill for the long wait (which benefitted my company, not me!). I had a light bulb out in the light above the bathroom vanity (one of four bulbs), and for three days running I had the bulb laying in the sink, thinking that would prompt the maid to call someone to have it replaced. Three days running, the burnt out bulb was laying nicely next to my toothpaste, etc. Finally one day I caught a housekeeper doing turn down service and asked about getting a new bulb. She called maintenance who sent someone to replace it. The supervisor called back 10 minutes later and asked if everything was now fine, and I said “uhhh, no, the bulb still hasn’t been replaced…” Apparently there was a mix up and the technician thought it was the shower light that was out. He popped in, saw that it was working and didn’t even notice the light above the sink out. In any event, they came back, got it working and I received yet another follow up call. Despite the three day wait for the light to be fully functional, it was a quasi-humorous, but ultimately good, service encounter.

The Phoenician may not be the newest resort property in the area, but it rocks.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Director of Rooms at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review. I am so pleased that you gave us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to Five-Diamond service. Thank you for taking the time to highlight specific ambassadors – I will be sure to share your kind remarks with them. While you encountered hiccups during your stay, I am happy to hear that they were solved to your satisfaction. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

In the last 3 months I have stayed at the The Canyon Suites and at the Casitas and the experiences were OK. To pay the premium for the Canyon Suites simply didn't make any sense at all -- the service seemed fine in both places. The room at the Casita had a much nicer view, but needs a serious update - bad lighting, ceiling tiles worthy of a Motor Inn etc.
Two of my adult kids came here for a couple of nights in September without us and reported that they remembered the place from childhood as being the most luxurious hotel imaginable and were surprised at how unimpressive the rooms in the main building were. (which is why I booked the Canyon Suites for my subsequent visit).
The Phoenician is a charming old friend resting on its laurels. That said, the staff are friendly and the service is remarkably good considering I am writing this about President's Day Weekend. I also can see and appreciate the pleasure young children have simply being in the grounds.

Room Tip: As I said in the review I thought the Canyon Suites were a complete waste of time and money. I pre...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments on both The Phoenician and The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician. We are pleased that you enjoyed each property’s quality service, but disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with The Phoenician rooms. Resort accommodations, which start at a spacious 600 square feet, are designed to provide a warm and welcoming residential environment, bringing the rich, golden tones of the surrounding Sonoran Desert indoors. Enhancements and renovations are scheduled on a regular basis to ensure our luxury standards are met. The Canyon Suites, Arizona’s only Forbes Five Star, AAA Five Diamond hotel, provides a more intimate setting with exclusive amenities. We hope you were able to enjoy the complimentary daily wine tastings and the private pool, along with the convenient in-room check-in. Please do come visit us again so that we may showcase all of our latest contemporary offerings.