“Beautiful Resort but watch for hidden fees.”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband I attended a wedding at this beautiful resort. We enjoyed our stay and all was as you would expect in a resort of this caliber.----until checkout. We had chose not to do the resort fee as we didnot need any ofthe things included. The negotiated price of the room for the wedding guests was quoted and very clear. However there was no mention in the quote for a PORTAGE fee and a housekeeping fee. We carried our luggage to our room ourselves and we left our maid a tip. It was 3:45 in the morning when we checked out and I did not have the inclination or time to argue and was told it was part of the negotiated price. No where in my confirmation could I find this portage and housekeeping fee. Unless you want to be in the position the airlines are in you need to be up front about hidden fees. Congress will go after the hotel industry next. No complaints about anything else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay; however, we are disappointed to learn of your billing issue at checkout. All rates and fees are listed on the contract, so we regret that this information was not communicated to you appropriately. Please know that your situation is being reviewed by management to determine the source of the error, and to ensure that this does not happen again. Should you have any additional questions, please contact our guest billing department at 480-423-2593. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again so that we may provide you with a seamless guest experience.

There are newer reviews for The Phoenician, Scottsdale

995 - 1,001 of 2,166 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Took my daughter there for a spa weekend. The spa services were wonderful, but the layout was confusing, and you had to share the pools with the hotel guests. Chairs were extremely difficult to find, and the pool drinks were outrageous! $47 for two Margaritas! Went to dinner on the property, and again very slow service for the price you're paying
It's a beautiful property that needs some TLC. No bathrobes in our room, when I told the front desk, they weren't surprised. Was there on business and had a totally different experience. Maybe they just want the corporate business.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your spa experience; however, we are disappointed that your overall stay fell short of your expectations. Please know that the service you received is certainly not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards, nor does it reflect our commitment to providing each and every guest with an exceptional experience.The Phoenician’s service culture is designed so that every guest feels welcomed and appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate this to you in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Nice luxury resort if you are visiting Phoenix. It is a number of years old so its not sterling, but its contemporary enough, rooms are very spacious, and staff was exceptional. The grounds are well kept, and all the facilities are nice. The pools are a bit confusing, there are so many pools I'm just not clear what is the kids pool vs the adult pool, vs the quiet pool. Outside of that fitness room is nice.. But be ready to WALK if you are in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing the pool or get in a suite. There is a flank of bank rooms where you are out of the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I really had much higher expectations going with my family to this resort. This resort has been on a lot of top hotel lists over the years. I used my starpoints to stay here and the check in receptionist treated us like vagabonds staying here for free.They were very stressed though at the check in desk. Hey, I earned my starpoints and they should be valued like I was a cash pay customer. Both my wife and I have SPG Gold Status. Ok, we're not platinum but still we've had gold status every year for a decade. Not only did we not get an upgrade, we we placed in one of the worst rooms possible right by the loading dock where we were waken up by 6am every morning. The hotel was crowded during spring break. Pools were crowded. Receptionist very busy. If you anticipate large crowds, please staff accordingly. Rooms were ok. Beautiful grounds though, but we won't be going back. Management was lousy when we stayed here over a year ago.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 625RL

We are very disappointed to learn of your displeasure with your stay. Despite spring break being our busiest time, we strive to create the most exceptional, personalized experience for each and every guest – just as we do every other day of the year. Unfortunately, due to the busy nature of the season, an upgrade was not available during your visit. Our SPG members, at every level, are truly valued for their loyalty and patronage. Associates are trained to acknowledge guests such as yourselves at every opportunity. Your comments have been shared with management and will be reviewed with staff so that they are refreshed on the protocol regarding our SPG guests. We do hope you will provide us with the opportunity to demonstrate how much we value our loyal customers by visiting The Phoenician again in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My company sent me here for a week for a leaders convention to acknowledge my accomplishment. The resort is beautiful! The staff is wonderful. The bell boys and cleaning staff were extremely friendly and courteous. My first night there the cleaning person (a lady) didn't clean my room. I found out after I was locked out due to my keys being deactivated. Security assisted and had a cleaning person to my room to clean immediately. She came and apologized and asked when she can come back. I said after 6pm since I have an event to attend. The following day I met Mahar Esho. He was very helpful after I explained what happened. He offered to clean my room right there. He was a gentleman. He made sure I was content. He greeted me every time he saw me in the hallway. He had a friendly smile. Thanks for going out of your way to make sure I felt accommodated. I will definitely be returning to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are incredibly pleased to hear that your stay was a wonderful one, and that our Ambassadors were able to quickly resolve your room issue. We will be sure to share your kind words with Mahar and our housekeeping team. Whether for business or leisure, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I would just like to start by saying that the grounds at the Phoenician are simply amazing. Beautiful landscaping, pools, lobby, restaurants, etc. However, the service is what made my experience at the resort unforgettable and the reason I will be back. From the nice young lady at the front entrance, to the nice lady at the front desk, to the nice waiter at Il Terrazzo I felt like they were all waiting for me and my family to arrive. In particular I would like to praise a young man at the belldesk named Jose. He single-handedly set up our whole Sunday afternoon. He made reservations for us at a wonderful restaurant in old town Scottsdale. He set up our transportation (For 8 people) from the resort to church, back to the resort, out for dinner, and back to the resort. I was telling him the times we needed and he did not write them down, but remembered them all! The driver waited for us outside the lobby with a tablet which read our last name. It was great. What I appreciated the most was his follow up the next day. He left a message in our room noting that he was off the Sunday afternoon after he set it all up, but wanted to ensure that everything went flawless. Unfortunately, I was not able to see him the rest of our trip, but wanted to make sure he received his due praise. Overall, the resort was nice, but the service was perfect!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank JaneD88655

Thank your for sharing your kind praise of our resort. We are delighted to hear that our Ambassadors were able to make your experience an unforgettable one – as that truly is the best compliment we can get! We also appreciate the time you took to highlight the service you received from Jose, and we can assure you that he will be acknowledged for his efforts. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband stayed here for four nights on a business related couples vacation. When we arrived at 5pm we were told there were only rooms with double beds available but that we would be in one of the casitas and we could move to a king bed room the next day.
The casita was on the 2nd floor of building F and had a great view of the pool, main building, and mountains. No complaints about the room at all and the bathroom was HUGE. The issue was that we were on a romantic vacation and slept in seperate beds due to the small size of the double.
As promised, we were moved to a room in the main building the next day with a king bed. However, this overlooked the loading dock. The lack of a view (terrible view really) we could live with but there was noise coming from the loading dock all night long and my husband could not sleep.
Finally, we were moved to another room in the main building far from the loading dock. This time it was clearly a room that was used as a smoking room. I'm not sure if smoking is allowed in the hotel but there was no doubt this was a very smokey room with many cleaning agents used to mask the smell. At this point we were in the 3rd room in 3 days so we just stayed put.
I know all hotels have their "bad" rooms but it just stinks (literally) to have to stay in one of them.

On the flip side, every employee we encountered was extremely helpful and friendly. Drinks at the pool were good and not watered down at all. This is a place I would return to but would insist on a specific type of room.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank desnudouno

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. While we are happy to hear that you enjoyed some elements of your stay, we are deeply disappointed to learn of you room experience. It appears as though the previous guest chose to ignore the fact that we are non-smoking hotel – and we sincerely regret any and all inconvenience this may have caused. Our commitment to providing each guest with a AAA Five Diamond resort experience is embraced by all Phoenician staff. We hope you will visit us again so that we may demonstrate this dedication to you appropriately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!