“Fantastic Hotel and Amazing Staff”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic Hotel and Amazing Staff”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I loved this resort:I travelled alone on business. I checked in at 3pm but my room was only ready around 4:30pm after a 11 hours of travelling. While I waited for my room I went to Thirsty Camel Lounge and had a pizza and beer. Well, the pizza took over 45 minutes to come, I didnt say anything as I was waiting for my room. Well a big surprise was waiting for me!! Alex Verkruijsse Director of Thirsty Camel Complex came over to me and said that the pizza was on the house because he found that the service was not acceptable!!! Wow! I was so impressed that my stay would start on such a fantastic positive note. Congrats to you because I was totally impressed and it made my day since my travelling day was long with adventure. I stayed in a ground-floor Casita with parking right in front so it was easy to come and go and didnt have to pay 29.00$ for overnight parking. My view was the Camel Back Mountain with the gardens and the lagoon. It was lovely. The pool was very busy on Memorial Day weekend visitors and lots of families. I was very impressed with the staff who filled my ice water regularly throughout the day in the heat. The pool and the activities for kids looked fantastic and I could see all kids all ages were having fun with kids pool and the pool with water activies/water slides too. There are 6 pools at this resort and 1 pool is adults only. You have the choice to choose a quiet space next to little lagoon or the more busy area. The rooms need a little updating but they are clean and confortable. The pool restaurant Oasis Pool Bar & Grill is really nice, I tried a few plates and they were all very delicious but a bit pricey. You need to try the fish sandwich OMG was so delicious and the Salad with Shrimp and Feta it was also very good. The premises of this hotel are so pretty. I walked the sidewalks near the golf course and it was amazing views with Camel Back Mountain in the background. Don't forgot to go up to the 5th floor to J & G Steakhouse for dinner or a drink they have fantastic view of premises and a beautiful sunset. The gym is very nice and the spa too. There is a trainer from the gym named Wade who takes guests for a small fee to hike Camel Back Mountain, it felt safe and it made it easier since I was alone. Everybody at this resort is polite, helpful and professional. I travel a lot and I notice service and I like to point it out when it's there. Congratulations to all the staff. It's so appreciated to feel that staff sincerely cares about the guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nancy L
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy many of the resort’s signature amenities during your stay – including the pools, accommodations and restaurants. While we regret to hear that the service you received at The Thirsty Camel was not indicative of our standards, we are pleased that Alex was able to provide you with a memorable service encounter. Whether for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Scottsdale.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This resort was a last minute choice after a planned trip to Cabo was scuttled on the day we left due to a passport problem. Everything about the resort shows attention to detail and the service was impeccable. While the food was expensive it was very good and coupled with excellent service made the few times we ate there worth the price. Make sure to check out the Cactus Garden carved into the mountain at the back of the resort. Pool attendants were accommodating and checked back often bringing fresh water. Renting a cabana was a highlight. We chose one in an area that had only two others close by and it made for more room to spread out. Underground parking was a breeze and a close walk in to the hotel. Could hardly have asked for more, we would certainly go back for another stay.

Room Tip: Front of hotel faces the pools and the back is against Camelback Mtn. We enjoyed the front as the p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It’s wonderful to hear that we were able to turn an unfortunate situation into a great experience! We truly appreciate your kind words and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friend's husband used points to book us this hotel for a girls getaway. We essentially relaxed in our room, the balcony, and the pool. We were upgraded upon arrival and the room was spacious. The view of the pool area and also a garden type area where conferences had their breakfasts and lunches. So while sitting on the balcony there were 50 or so people eating prior to the meetings, not a great view! The pool areas were on the small side and much of it was reserved for specific groups…..I was not impressed. Not that the pool area has to be huge, but it just wasn't set up in a way that made it appealing. We ate onsite one night and the meal was so unmemorable I can't even remember what I had.

All in all, I believe the hotel has seen its day. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about?!?! But if you can get a free room, it was certainly a pleasant stay with pleasant staff but no where near what I expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WheretonextBOS
Thank you for taking the time to share your review online. We are disappointed to hear that we fell short of meeting your expectations during your recent visit. With seven pools at our Oasis Complex, we do try to provide our guests with a variety of options to choose from; however, we regret any inconvenience experienced as a result of the private functions taking place during your stay. We do hope you decide to return in the future so that we may provide you with the exceptional, Five Diamond experience for which we are known.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We loved the resort - we stayed in a ground-floor Casita with parking right in front so it was easy to come and go. The pool was crazy busy with Memorial Day weekend visitors, so the wait staff was a bit slow. We were super impressed with the staff who replenished our ice water regularly though in the heat. We had a bit of an issue with the front desk staff mixing up credit card info, but nothing too serious. Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Stay in a casita! Then you don't need to worry about Valet parking or self-park and walking a w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank your for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your holiday weekend The Phoenician! We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I go to this hotel every year And
I have to say this was one of my best stays at this hotel.
The service was amazing the staff were polite and very helpful from the pool guys to management .
I called for an early extra check in since I decided to drive from Los Angeles to Scottsdale because I would be easier fort kids to sleep through the night .The hotel manager called me after I made the request and made sure we get the early check in at 3:00 am.
I have to say we had 3 rooms and they had the 3 rooms ready to go. That's service!!!
The pool and the activities for the kids very great. We stayed there over memorial weekend and there was a lot to do .
The pool guts check on our water and towel every half hour to make sure we have ice water and enough towels.
The rooms need a little updating but over all nice rooms.
I also noticed new updates to the hotel .
Over all great place to stay at .
I feel this is the best place to stay at Scottsdale and again I am very happy with the staff and
The service to make sure me and my family have a good stay!!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for the sharing your wonderful review! From our recently expanded activities program to the addition of our new splash pad, we strive to provide guests of all ages with a memorable experience, and we are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your holiday weekend at The Phoenician! We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.
Milford, MI
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It had been a while since I stayed at the Phoenician and I was wondering if it would live up to my memories. It did, in spades.

First, the grounds are lovely and driving in you seem to leave the arid world of Arizona and find yourself in a lusher, more temperate climate.

You stay at the Phoenician for the experience and the service and I have to tip my hat to the staff, uniformly they are excellent and very attentive to your needs. This was a business trip for me and I was fortunate to be able to have my wife accompany me so it was fun for both of us.

The only downside is the Phoenician is getting a bit long in tooth and some areas could use a refresh. The rooms, service, grounds and staff are top notch, if you have a chance give it a try a very nice place to stay for a few days.

Room Tip: If you are focusing on golf try a casita to be close to the courses
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear that your recent stay at The Phoenician was an exceptional one! We pride ourselves on delivering personalized, AAA Five Diamond service to our guests, so thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our attentive Ambassadors. Whether for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Though this is a large property, the customer service feels like a B&B. They are attentive and accommodating. Our favorite thing is a cabana at the Mother of Pearl Pool (must reserve ahead of time). Rich, who has been the server there our last two visits, is wonderful. The property is beautiful, the accommodations lavish. You feel like a star there!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!