“Sensational Spa Resort”

Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Edmonton, Canada
“Sensational Spa Resort”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This property will take your breath away! The grounds are magnificent with six pools including one for children and an "adults only" as well as a splash park. There is a golf course and several tennis courts. The oleanders were in bloom which enhanced the overall appearance of the place.
Our room, a one bedroom suite was truly amazing. It was huge with a bedroom, kitchenette, dining room, living room and two complete baths.
The service was outstanding. The staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was a wonderful experience.
The food was very good in the restaurant we frequented; there is a choice of several different eating places.
All in all, a wonderful experience - including my massage at the spa!

Green Features: This resort is very environmentally friendly. They do a great recycle job and the linen changing choices are left up to the clients as in many hotels
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for the great review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many of the resort’s signature features during your stay – including the restaurants, AAA Five Diamond accommodations, and personalized service. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely resort. The pools are beautiful, as are the grounds. Camelback in the background makes a perfect setting. Rooms could use a little updating and service by the pool could be more prompt. Location was great and overall I would recommend.

Room Tip: The location of my room was across from the lobby. View was not great and I felt the rooms could us...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Phoenician! Whether for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This resort is top notch all around. Excellent for golf or tennis enthusiasts, couples, families, or babymooners. My wife and I stayed at The Phoenician for 5 nights for a final warm weather getaway before our baby arrives. It exceeded our expectations. The hotel right is next to beautiful Camelback Mountain. There are plenty of activities (golf, tennis, several pools, several wonderful restaurants, hiking trails, bike rentals, etc) available, but if you're looking to simply relax, you can catch some sun near the pool and enjoy a cocktail or 2. In my wife's case, the staff toyed around with several non-alcoholic "mocktails" which was really appreciated.

While there is plenty to do on The Phoenician grounds, if you're looking to get away, Old Town Scottsdale is just about a mile or 2 away. There are several bars, restaurants, and an upscale mall as well. When we ventured offsite for dinner, we tried Chelsea's Kitchen (southwestern), The Henry (a little of everything), and The Mission (mod Mex). All three were wonderful, as were all three of the restaurants on The Phoenician property. I highly suggest a burger from Relish and/or a steak from J&G.

Now onto the staff/service... One day we rented bikes, and on the way back, my wife got a flat when we were still about 5 miles away. The hotel had a driver pick us up and return us. Belinda at the tennis shop/bike rental office was so kind to send Phoenician hats to our room later that evening as an unnecessary apology. Just one example of the staff going above and beyond. Every night, there were chocolates by our bedside and turndown service several times a day as well. Last but not least, a special shout out to Sam at the pool bar. She was very accommodating, making different "mocktails" for my wife, engaging us in friendly conversation, and providing candid feedback on things to do/places to see around the area.

While we came to the resort primarily to relax, I used the gym several times, and the facilities are well above average from what you'd see at other resorts. My wife had a tennis lesson and was thoroughly impressed as well.

Not a negative, but one note for potential visitors: There is a daily "resort fee" which covers in-room wifi, tennis, bike rentals, etc.

Overall, a truly relaxing getaway with top notch service, plenty to do, and large, above average rooms most of which have beautiful views and balconies. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to travel to the PHX/Scottsdale area. We plan to return at some point in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnyobof
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. We are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your babymoon at The Phoenician! We strive to deliver personalized, memorable experiences for our guests, and we are happy to hear that our Ambassadors were able to go “above and beyond” to make your stay an exceptional one. Your recommendation is most appreciated – we hope to have the wonderful opportunity to host you again in the near future.
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Director of Golf, Ryan, is the man! He treated us very well and the playing conditions were great! Every time I visit the Phoenician, I am treated as if I am a member. Even the outside service guys are courteous, which is hard to find at many courses. I will keep coming back as long as the service continues.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for the great review! We know Ryan will be happy to hear that you are a big fan of the course. Please come back and see us again soon!
Denver, CO
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Just a one night stay here, so not enough time to really try everything. The room was large with a fantastic bed, but I felt like I was staying at my grandparents place - the rich ones with the fancy house on the golf course that they built in the 90s when they retired. I generally avoid these uber-planned resort/spa like resort hotels, so overall I must say it is very nice. Except for a few cases of charming idiocy the staff is great - which says a lot because there are hundreds of staff at this place. Play along and carry tip money everywhere you go. Terrazzo breakfast was really good - but the birds of prey the hotel seems to keep on staff to keep the pesky scavenger birds away was impressive. Every kid I saw was having a great time - I was jealous of them - the pool areas are pretty cool. Fitness center was fine, spa seems great although a few spots seem ready for a facelift --- not unlike the entire place I suspect. One final comment: I like to try to use the stairs in hotels - especially if I use the gyms (seems strange to run 5miles on the treadmill and then ride elevators). But the maze-y layout was baffling and I swear my floor was only accessible by elevator. Everybody I asked was stumped. If you're not good with directions just ask the valet guys for a ride in the golf cart to the gym (seriously). In fact have them drive you around everywhere in a golf cart, it's summer in Arizona, it's 110 degrees outside, who really wants to walk anywhere?

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pennden
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed many elements of our AAA Five Diamond resort, especially breakfast at Il Terrazzo, the fitness center, and the Birds of Prey show. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the moment we arrived to the last day of our stay this hotel was amazing! GREAT resort we will 100% be back over and over again, my only regret was not staying there longer! Loved J&G steakhouse, probably the best experience I have ever had with a resort! Thank you to all the attentive staff and friendly service, big thank you to the manager of J&G (Ryan) truly a great experience for my first time in Arizona.

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe Room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dana A
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Wow, thank you for the wonderful review! We are thrilled that we could make your first trip to Arizona a memorable one! Please come back and see us again soon.
el paso, texas
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend. We do not get to see each other that often and this was supposed to be a perfect mother daughter getaway. When we opened the door to our room in one of the Casitas it became obvious that this was not going to be perfect. First, it was not the view that my daughter had requested months previously and when she called the front desk she was just told that we had been upgraded......seriously?? We were told someone would call back but that never happened, Most 3 star hotels that I have stayed in were in better condition. The carpet should have been replaced years ago. We went out to the patio only to find bird droppings everywhere. When we went to the pools I also noticed bird droppings on most of the lounge chairs. And this is in a 5 star resort! We spent more time than we had planned off property but decided to try Il Terrazzo on our last night. What a pleasant surprise - the food and the service were excellent. My daughter has many food allergies and the waiter (Alan?) and chef were very accommodating. It was a nice way to end an otherwise disappointing stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DisneyMom4590
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We regret to hear that your special weekend at The Phoenician did not meet your expectations; furthermore, we are disappointed to learn of your concerns regarding the condition of your guestroom, as that is certainly not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards. Please know that for any reason appointed accommodations do not meet our guests’ needs, we are more than happy to relocate them, based on availability. Your review has been shared with top management to ensure that we are delivering beyond expectation. We do hope you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with the luxury resort experience for which we are known.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!