“Upscale and fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Waco, Texas
“Upscale and fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were in the Phoenix area in December 2013 for a football bowl game. We had made reservations at another hotel but decided to change to the Phoenician at the last minute. I was glad we did. The grounds are gorgeous, the staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. They drove us in a golf cart to our room. Our stay was short, but my sons were able to get a round of golf in and couldn't say enough fabulous things about the course. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet the last day we were there and it was worth every penny. This will definitely be on our "return to" list.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CLF49
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with others online. We are happy you decided to make a last minute switch to The Phoenician, and that you enjoyed your overall experience! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Absolutely amazing in all ways, including all of the staff. It exceeded my expectations and I will definitely return on the future. If you are looking for a beautiful and clean place with lots of amenities I would recommend staying here. From the cactus garden & Camelback Mountain to the beauty of the fountains and pools - it is breathtaking!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathy K
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind recommendation of our resort. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent visit! We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another fantastic experience!
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This property will take your breath away! The grounds are magnificent with six pools including one for children and an "adults only" as well as a splash park. There is a golf course and several tennis courts. The oleanders were in bloom which enhanced the overall appearance of the place.
Our room, a one bedroom suite was truly amazing. It was huge with a bedroom, kitchenette, dining room, living room and two complete baths.
The service was outstanding. The staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was a wonderful experience.
The food was very good in the restaurant we frequented; there is a choice of several different eating places.
All in all, a wonderful experience - including my massage at the spa!

Green Features: This resort is very environmentally friendly. They do a great recycle job and the linen changing choices are left up to the clients as in many hotels
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many of the resort’s signature features during your stay – including the restaurants, AAA Five Diamond accommodations, and personalized service. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely resort. The pools are beautiful, as are the grounds. Camelback in the background makes a perfect setting. Rooms could use a little updating and service by the pool could be more prompt. Location was great and overall I would recommend.

Room Tip: The location of my room was across from the lobby. View was not great and I felt the rooms could us...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Phoenician! Whether for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This resort is top notch all around. Excellent for golf or tennis enthusiasts, couples, families, or babymooners. My wife and I stayed at The Phoenician for 5 nights for a final warm weather getaway before our baby arrives. It exceeded our expectations. The hotel right is next to beautiful Camelback Mountain. There are plenty of activities (golf, tennis, several pools, several wonderful restaurants, hiking trails, bike rentals, etc) available, but if you're looking to simply relax, you can catch some sun near the pool and enjoy a cocktail or 2. In my wife's case, the staff toyed around with several non-alcoholic "mocktails" which was really appreciated.

While there is plenty to do on The Phoenician grounds, if you're looking to get away, Old Town Scottsdale is just about a mile or 2 away. There are several bars, restaurants, and an upscale mall as well. When we ventured offsite for dinner, we tried Chelsea's Kitchen (southwestern), The Henry (a little of everything), and The Mission (mod Mex). All three were wonderful, as were all three of the restaurants on The Phoenician property. I highly suggest a burger from Relish and/or a steak from J&G.

Now onto the staff/service... One day we rented bikes, and on the way back, my wife got a flat when we were still about 5 miles away. The hotel had a driver pick us up and return us. Belinda at the tennis shop/bike rental office was so kind to send Phoenician hats to our room later that evening as an unnecessary apology. Just one example of the staff going above and beyond. Every night, there were chocolates by our bedside and turndown service several times a day as well. Last but not least, a special shout out to Sam at the pool bar. She was very accommodating, making different "mocktails" for my wife, engaging us in friendly conversation, and providing candid feedback on things to do/places to see around the area.

While we came to the resort primarily to relax, I used the gym several times, and the facilities are well above average from what you'd see at other resorts. My wife had a tennis lesson and was thoroughly impressed as well.

Not a negative, but one note for potential visitors: There is a daily "resort fee" which covers in-room wifi, tennis, bike rentals, etc.

Overall, a truly relaxing getaway with top notch service, plenty to do, and large, above average rooms most of which have beautiful views and balconies. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to travel to the PHX/Scottsdale area. We plan to return at some point in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnyobof
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. We are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your babymoon at The Phoenician! We strive to deliver personalized, memorable experiences for our guests, and we are happy to hear that our Ambassadors were able to go “above and beyond” to make your stay an exceptional one. Your recommendation is most appreciated – we hope to have the wonderful opportunity to host you again in the near future.
San Tan Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Director of Golf, Ryan, is the man! He treated us very well and the playing conditions were great! Every time I visit the Phoenician, I am treated as if I am a member. Even the outside service guys are courteous, which is hard to find at many courses. I will keep coming back as long as the service continues.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review! We know Ryan will be happy to hear that you are a big fan of the course. Please come back and see us again soon!
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Just a one night stay here, so not enough time to really try everything. The room was large with a fantastic bed, but I felt like I was staying at my grandparents place - the rich ones with the fancy house on the golf course that they built in the 90s when they retired. I generally avoid these uber-planned resort/spa like resort hotels, so overall I must say it is very nice. Except for a few cases of charming idiocy the staff is great - which says a lot because there are hundreds of staff at this place. Play along and carry tip money everywhere you go. Terrazzo breakfast was really good - but the birds of prey the hotel seems to keep on staff to keep the pesky scavenger birds away was impressive. Every kid I saw was having a great time - I was jealous of them - the pool areas are pretty cool. Fitness center was fine, spa seems great although a few spots seem ready for a facelift --- not unlike the entire place I suspect. One final comment: I like to try to use the stairs in hotels - especially if I use the gyms (seems strange to run 5miles on the treadmill and then ride elevators). But the maze-y layout was baffling and I swear my floor was only accessible by elevator. Everybody I asked was stumped. If you're not good with directions just ask the valet guys for a ride in the golf cart to the gym (seriously). In fact have them drive you around everywhere in a golf cart, it's summer in Arizona, it's 110 degrees outside, who really wants to walk anywhere?

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pennden
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed many elements of our AAA Five Diamond resort, especially breakfast at Il Terrazzo, the fitness center, and the Birds of Prey show. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Gainey Suites Hotel
#5 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!