“BEAUTIFUL OASIS”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We ended a two week vacation at The Phoenician.

The Hotel- WOW - gorgous! From the moment you enter you are greeted by luxury. We had booked a grand deluxe room. We were offered an upgrade to the casita (but we loved the feel of the Hotel). We did look at the Casita but it seemed older and not as bright and pretty. We had an amazing view (4th floor facing the pool) outstanding view of the pools!! Very spacious room. Very clean. Large bathroom. We had a king bed and our younger children shared the pull out bed. The ladies at the front desk were super sweet.

The Pools- We had a wonderful time at the pools which were not crowded. And being from NJ- we did not find it too hot. We had plenty of shade under the umbrellas and stayed cool in the pools. I Highly suggest - buy the $11 Surge cup and use it all week to refill your drink (ice tea or soda). Well worth the price as one ice tea would be $4. Loved the poolside service- especially on the kids menu the grilled chicken tacos...grilled chicken, lettuce on a soft tortilla, with a side of salsa and guacomole and tortilla chips. Everyone in our family loved these.

The Mother of Pearl pool was gorgous!! We were disappointed that the "surge" splash area was closed...but the manager was so kind- she sent us up some snacks and a voucher for a free in room movie. The kids LOVED this!!! Thanks Jen!!!!

The only downside to the hotel were the bee's. There was a lot of bees around the pool area. We stayed in the pool most of the day - only out to go to the bathroom and eat. I told everyone to watch where they walked so they didn't step on any. The birds could be annoying too but I was more worried about someone getting stung.

My kids loved the pool side Chocolate and Vanilla Smoothies!

DINING: We enjoyed all of the restaurants. El Torazo- breakfast Buffet --- omlets/eggs, delicious muffins (blueberry were the best we have ever had).... Terrific service. Dinners at Relish (Casual- amazing Chicken Sandwich)....we wish they had a side traditional salad as an option to the tater tots.....we would have gone back if they had. J&G Steakhouse- dined there twice. OMG the shrimp cocktail were some of the best we ever had. The Lobster cocktail was fair- we expected it to be different that what it was.... The Filet Mignon was the BEST... we also had Ribeye (we all enjoyed that but the Filet Mignon was the best). The asparagus was delicious. Everyone was very kind...Even thought J&G is very upscale, they could not have been more friendly and accommodating, they allowed our kids to walk in from the ice cream shop with their ice cream in hand (we allowed them ice cream before dinner!)- it is vacation.

Cactus Walk - Highly recommend this tour- the hotel had it- it was on property and the kids enjoyed the walk as did we. No charge, but we did tip the man as it was a fun experience.

Oldtown Scottsdale- For $30 roundtrip the hotel will take you about 2 miles away. The kids enjoyed purchasing trinkets for soulveneers. I had wished they were open later so we could go at night but most of the stores are open from 10am-5pm. So we went early 10am so that we could spend the rest of the day at the pool. Highly Recommend Olive and Ivy Restaurant-Fantastic!!! WE had flatbread pizza, bruschetta, Caesar Salad...EXCELLENT food and service.... The stores were just ok. The kids were happy with their little gifts.

The Spa at Phoencian- We had visited a few other spa's in Arizona and we felt the spa needed updating. There should be a much better area for men/women to relax together. For Example in Sedona Mi Amo Spa has a co-ed indoor/outdoor pool area for guests... would have been great to have an hot tub (co-ed) and a much nicer relaxation room. The lazy boy leather chairs were kind of cheesy-- we did like the running water feature. Everyone at the spa was super nice. Jean gave an AMAZING massage. Highly recommend him. We got vouchers from TravelZoo- pre-paid discounted massage. The spa charged $28 for gratuity which was more than fair!

Concierge- was super friendly and helpful. Thank you Michelle!!!

Overall- My husband said this was his favorite hotel of the three we had stayed in. He enjoyed the live music in the lobby at night (piano). He enjoyed the luxury feel. Everyone was very nice. Very clean and pretty property. We would recommend this to our friends. If you go during busy season rent a cabana at the Mother Of Pearl Pool- well worth it - you get reserved seats in the cabana as well as outside of the cabana in the sun.

Last thought- they said they are trying to make it more of a family place... would suggest more activities at the pool for the kids (games every few hours run by the kids club).... and maybe an covered outdoor play area like at the Westin Keirland - Outdoor Huge Chess set, fooseball, ping pong etc)....

Thank you for a wonderful end to our vacation!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SuzanneNJTwinsMom
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Wow, thank you very much for the generous review. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation at The Phoenician! Our Ambassadors take great pride in creating memorable occasions for our guests, so we will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. We appreciate the ideas and suggestions and will definitely look into each so that we may continue to enhance the guest experience. Hopefully you can visit us again soon and try the Activities Center at The Park, which features a variety of fun options for youngsters including Nintendo Wi, Ping-Pong, foosball and a movie theater. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,219)

997 - 1,003 of 2,219 reviews

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We quickly changed our destination from Naples Fla (Impending Tropical storm / hurricane) to Scottsdale to ensure great weather (sun & Heat). With less than 1 week to plan we found the Phoenician and surprisingly they had availability for the busy 4th of July weekend and following days. We were offered a " summer Special" which gave us spectacular savings incentive so we booked. As part of the special the $29 daily room fee ( internet) was waived and wifi was free to use while we stayed. When we checked in we had to call the desk to get the free wifi use we were promised when booking as part of the summer deal.

Every single person at the resort that we encountered was friendly, professional and most of all the were beyond accommodating. The entire staff smiles at you and greets you as you enter / exit / walk thru . We noticed genuine hospitality and definite desire to ensure that you as the guest are satisfied. The customer service was excellent, and nothing like I had ever experienced in the U.S. ever before. I had asked the front desk the morning of our second day If it were possible to have some " Firm" pillows brought up to our suite. The receptionist said " absolutely, and I am so sorry if you didn't get your routine sleep requirements. I will have them brought up. What is your room number and your last name?" I told her and she then smiled and said, " Mrs. Burger I will have those pillows up to your room. I hope that tonight you will be as comfortable as you are at home." Again Sincere and a can do professionalism, and that is just the initial request. My husband I made our way to the bakery in the lobby and by the time we finished our breakfast, and returned to our room, the pillows had arrived. We headed out for the day and when we returned, we noticed that the receptionist had left a message on the phone " wanting to make sure that the requested firm pillows arrived and were to our satisfaction". Amazing follow up and polite ?? Not so common but Awesome !
The rooms are very spacious. We stayed in a Mountain view King. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The décor is up to date and the beds are comfortable. The bathroom is spacious as well. The rooms and the resort are very clean and well maintained. Our room had a great balcony with some furniture and a fantastic view of the " camelback" mountain.
My husband raved about the Golf course. He rented clubs at the course and said they were so great he may buy new clubs to match the set he rented. The pools (9) are very nice a bit too much chlorine I think, but there are many children and wildlife around that appearently also like the pool. There were plenty of chairs during the week, but the weekends can be more challenging to find chairs. There is an adult only pool which we truly appreciated. The hotel has many activities for kids and is very kid friendly, however we are not. There are Water yoga and water aerobic classes offered as well. There is a poolside menu of food and drinks which we did have one day, but it is a bit pricey for what you are actually getting. The Iced tea and soda's are $3.50 and they do not offer free refills. We spent $50 for lunch ( no alcoholic beverages) The wait staff are very friendly and they do bring free ice water and cups to everyone quite frequently. There are a lot of Bees around the pool area, be careful.
The hotel also has a very nice Fitness room that was very busy but too busy that you had to wait for a machine. They have ellipiticals, treadmills, free weights and machines Cycling machines. There are towels and water available as well. They even offer daily fitness classes.
My only reasons for not giving this hotel the best rating of " Excellent" are described below. These reasons are minimal in the entire scheme of things. But I do think they could be easily improved upon and should be. The rooms' privacy or " do not disturb" sign is a black leather door hanger. The word " Privacy" is etched into the hanger and is not obvious at all. In fact I didn't know the room had a privacy sign and as I was in the shower, the mini bar agent had come in after knocking (loudly). I asked if someone was there and he quickly replied : Just checking the mini bar, " he exited quickly and I was never exposed as bathroom doors were closed. Very awkward for Me and for him but He was totally professional and I was not informed of / did not notice the door hanger until well into our 3rd day there, shortly after this incident. I would suggest that the " Privacy" hanger stand out . Additionally, the room lights are mostly lamps, the lights are controlled by switches on the lamps not the walls. Different but not terrible.
We checked out and my husband noticed that our bill had the $29 daily fee for all days we were there on the charges, however as part of the " summer Special" this daily fee did not apply.So he again had to call to get these removed as promised when we booked. Also we Had incurred some various mini bar charges, but we did not have anything from mini bar, we just used the refrigerator for our own water bottles and iced tea. We are still working on getting to the bottom of these charges, as we are not certain what they are. There is a nightly turn down service and they bring chocolates and water to the bedside, we thought this was free but as it turns out it may have been part of those mini bar charges, although we are not sure and still are trying to figure it out.

Room Tip: Mountain view very nice especially higher up ( 6th floor)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mush73
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review. Although we’re sorry to hear that you had to cancel your original travel plans, we are happy that you decided to stay with us instead! We truly appreciate your detailed review – as guest feedback is essential to improving The Phoenician experience. We are disappointed, however, to learn of your billing issue. I assure you this is not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards. Your situation is being reviewed to determine the source of the error, and to ensure that this does not happen again. Again, we regret any and all inconvenience this may have caused. We look forward to having you with us again soon, and providing a seamless, luxury guest experience for you – from the time you make your reservation through your return home.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Phoenician in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is a beautiful hotel and the staff were very helpful. The food was excellent and they catered to my grandchildren. It is located near everywhere we wanted to go. I walk with a cane and they have golf carts to take you where you have to go. The whole family loved it.

Room Tip: The rooms are all gorgeous.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear that you and your grandchildren enjoyed your experience at The Phoenician! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were visiting relatives in Phoenix and they suggested driving over to The Phoenician on July 5 to see the fireworks. What a beautiful hotel! We were greeted warmly at the gate and told where to park. A short walk through the well-manicured grounds and we found a wonderful old-fashioned Independence Day party in the works. There was a live band, children happily running around; lemon water if we were thirsty. The staff offered a mat if we wanted to sit on the ground (which we were given to take home!) or a chair. Later they brought everyone glow-sticks for more fun. The fireworks show was fantastic; early because of a threatening storm - but no one seemed to mind. Kudos to the hard-working staff - everything was so well planned and executed. If this is any indication of the hotel's overall service, we'll be back as guests!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Director of Activities at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a generous review. We are thrilled that we were able to make your 4th of July vacation a memorable one and we would love to have you back with us as a guest. You can find a full listing of all of our upcoming events and activities on our signature events page on our website. Our next holiday event is our Labor Day Boardwalk on August 30th, which will feature food trucks, carnival rides, live music, magicians, tarot card readers and more!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved staying at this resort! We had a large family vacation and the resort went out of their way to accommodate our needs. Whether it was golfing tee times, restaurant reservations, hot balloon air rides, the hotel went above and beyond to make sure our arrangements went without a hitch! Really enjoyed our visit to Scottsdale. The service at this hotel is exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted to hear that your family vacation was such as success! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family enjoyed our stay at the Phoenician for the 4th of July weekend. First of all, I must state how surprised I was that this resort was very family friendly. For the holiday weekend, they had many activities for the kids ranging from t-shirt painting to their own indoor carnival. I was truly impressed!
The resort grounds are kept in good shape. Our room was very spacious and clean. We had turndown service every night. The restaurants on site were good but if you are staying a few nights you may get tired of the same food fairly quickly. Don't worry, they are quite a few restaurants from the resort within 5 miles if you need variety.
This resort had alot to offer...numerous swimming pools, splash pad for kids, activity center(includes a small movie room,xbox games, board games, etc.), golf course, hiking trail, tennis courts,etc.
I was going to give this resort 4 stars. But I am going to give them 5 stars instead due to the excellent service I experienced from the time I pulled up to the door to the day we checked out.
I can't wait to see what festivities they have planned for next year!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ReeceReese

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family had a great 4th of July weekend at The Phoenician! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the restaurants, accommodations, pools, and wide variety of family-friendly activities. We hope you can join us again next year!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here because my job was holding a training here. The staffs service made my stay as the most unforgettable expirence. Michelle from the concierge planed a free day that I had in the area so I was able to see everything that Phoenix had to offer. Also my first night there I ordered room service and the attendant was so friendly and personable. The bellman also went above and beyond and always offered me a bottle of water. If you need a place to stay in the area this is your best option!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Ustrotter89

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at The Phoenician! Whether for business or leisure, we hope to see you again soon!