“Heaven in Scottsdale”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 4 August 2014

What an amazing stay, from start to finish!

It was a three night stay for my wife's birthday, and we were greeted by the parking attendant with "I understand that someone is celebrating a birthday!" What a way to feel special.

The rooms are large, and we are glad we chose a casita. It is nice to have more of a garden feel rather than being in the main hotel, and it is great to park right in front. The grounds are beautiful and well manicured. You would never know you are three minutes from Nordstrom.

Great extras for the kids, like Surge, a splash pad that is so well maintained. S'mores night, which was yummy. Half priced meals for the kids at all restaurants, encouraged us to eat on property. Duck and koi feeding daily, the kids loved the interaction.

The activity center was a great place for the kids to escape the heat with a parent. Movies to be projected, pool, ping pong, and board games. The only bummer is both the wiki and Xbox weren't working. Three different employees tried to figure it out, but really needed someone that knew what they were doing. A for attitude, they just weren't trained in the equipment, and neither are we.

The pools were amazing. Clean, quiet, great service, and amazing quality food. What a great touch to have a pitcher of ice water brought over to us without asking. They even refreshed the ice as it melted.

Whenever we walked throughout the resort, employees from maintenance to bellmen always engaged in conversation and asked about our stay. You do not feel like a number at this resort.

The breakfast buffet was great. Hot omelet bar cooking eggs made to order, fresh fruit and pastries, and just request waffles or pancakes and they will bring them out fresh.

It may be hot as blazes in Scottsdale during the summer, but so were the hotel rates. A great deal that will get us back again.

Room Tip: The cabanas are great. Cabana H is next to the spa and fitness center.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank likey2travel
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We are delighted to hear that you had an amazing stay at The Phoenician! Furthermore, we are thrilled that our Ambassadors were able to make your wife’s birthday trip so special. From the s’mores and children’s activities to our selection of restaurants, it’s great to hear that you and your family enjoyed everything that our resort has to offer. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I used to live in Phoenix for many years and this resort was always the top notch in service and decor. My family and I came back here to visit friends and decided that we would stay here. To be fair,the service is top notch and all the employees were attentive to our needs. However, the rooms are tired and in need of a complete makeover. There was even some gross red stain on the walls and the carpet appeared to being in a need of a deep cleaning. I hope eventually they redo the rooms as this really used to be a beautiful property.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael M

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. Although it’s wonderful to hear that our Ambassadors were able to provide you with top notch service, we are incredibly disappointed to learn of guestroom experience during your recent stay. We can assure that the issues you experienced are certainly not indicative of our AAA Five-Diamond standards. While a re-design of all guestrooms is being planned, soft updates are completed on a regular basis, adding to the more than $100 million in renovations and enhancements completed in the last 5 years. We hope you will visit us again so that we may provide you with the luxurious, memorable guest experience for which we are known.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Been here a couple of times in the last 4 years. Some rooms (casitas) are nice, the rest are tired.

The pools are a joke at the weekends or public holidays. The hotel continues to allow local residents access to the facilities. This made it impossible to enjoy the pool area, gym, bars etc.

We understand from some of the team there that a large investment was put on hold but may come back soon. Will wait to visit once this happens.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tiwifins
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

We appreciate your feedback, which has been shared with our management team, and regret that your stay was not to your liking. Please note that with April being peak season, the pools tend to be more crowded. However, The Phoenician pools are available only to in-house guests. We remain diligent in ensuring this policy is adhered to, as we are committed to providing our guests with a relaxing and exclusive experience. The Fitness Center is also open to in-house guests – and spa guests – only. Dining venues and bars are open to the public. As mentioned, we do expect a major guestroom renovation to take place in the near future, adding to the more than $100 million in renovations and enhancements completed in the last 5 years. We hope you will visit us again so that we can showcase what does make The Phoenician so special.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were travelling in a family of 10 :6 adults & 4 kids ages ranging between 2-7yrs. The whole hotel & the rooms was very luxurious; the rooms were huge with luxurious bathrooms. The restaurant where we had breakfast was very well based, roomy & extended outdoors. Food fare was regular breakfast type & well presented with good variety. The waiter who attended to us was helpful, delightful & made us feel very welcome; I wish I can recall his name to commend him - this may help : my family had breakfast on 26 July 2014.

Room Tip: Room 1120. We occupied 4 consecutive rooms as a big family & every one was excellent!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed at the Phoenician at least a dozen times over the past 2 years. The JW Marriott used to be my go to spot in the Phoenix area. I have not been back there in over 2 years now! The location of the resort just far enough away to be peaceful, but still only about 3-4 minutes from the heart of Scottsdale (Mall, offsite shopping, other restaurants (although the resort restaurants are awesome)).

As a SPG Platinum I feel service is good. I am regularly upgraded to a better room, but only once a suite in as many nights. Since I am almost always there on a weekend I think this may play into that. I actually really enjoy the casita rooms! If you plan to be at the pool, or dine at Relish (the excellent on site burger restaurant) these are ideal!

Rooms are always clean!
I think I Valet parked once... It's so unneeded. Self parking is free, and directly underneath the resort, so you can just park and take the elevator up to the lobby.

And a review wouldn't be complete without a suggestion... I like that they have a K Cup coffee maker in the room. It is a nice touch. The one thing is I like my coffee sugary and creamy:). They have 4 K cups in the rooms, but only 2 creams and 4 sugars. It's just not enough for more than 1 serving, so me and my wife split a cup when there. I always meant to ask the front desk for more, but it's never a big enough deal to bother with.

I will return here over and over again knowing I always know what I am getting, and that my expectations will be consistently exceeded!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed another great stay at our resort! We know you have many luxury resort choices in the area, so thank you for your continued loyalty to SPG and The Phoenician. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just stayed here for 4 nights. If you are at all able to handle 105 degree summer heat, then there is a tremendous value to be had staying here. I prefer a pool with curves and with shade. There are quite a few pools at this property. There seems to be one for everybody. The movie night at the pool on Saturday nights is for kids. There is a water slide, kind of slow, again for kids.

The rooms in the main building are very convenient vs staying in the Casitas.

The beds are awesome.

The breakfast buffet on weekends is expensive but full of fresh fruit, croissants, omelets, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are most convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a wonderful four days staying at the Phoenician Hotel in Scottsdale, Az. The hotel was very accommodating regarding our requests for easy access to pool and restaurants. The entire staff was most professional and friendly. Food was excellent and service in general impeccable. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to restaurants and pool, stay I. The main building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mexico1605

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again soon.