“No complaints”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Fifth time back to the Phoenician. Clean and luxurious. Had our teenage children with us and they loved the pool and the overall serenity of the hotel. Travel nearby to hike and take advantage of Scottsdale's restaurants. Great vacation and high recommended.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Nandy5
Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed 13 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in January at the end of a conference he attended at the resort. We booked massages at the spa, dined at Windows on the Green, sat by the pool. Our favorite activity was sitting outdoors with drinks by the fire pit at the Thirsty Camel Lounge. Very special accommodations in the one bedroom (King) casita that we stayed in. This is a fantastic getaway spot and you can't beat the sunshine.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mlizBoston
Reviewed 7 March 2009

This hotel was extremely nice and real luxurious right from the time you drive through the entrance. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are very nice. We had a room with a waterfall in our backyard that was super relaxing at night. The rooms itself are top notch. Very comfortable bed, big flat screen tv, great shower and really nice bathroom. They have about 8 pools and they are all nice and a bit different. The service is good but the staff is very unsociable. They almost act like robots and just do their jobs but have very little interaction with the guests. The food was great and the drinks were real expensive. Overall very nice stay and would definitely like to go back again.

Me and my fiancee actually liked going in the summer when it was super hot because you can sit in the pools all day long and drink and never have to get out. They also have plenty of areas to sit in the shade all throughout the resort.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nyflanctraveler
Reviewed 29 January 2009

A top notch experience at this wonderful resort. Staff could not be more helpful. As Innkeepers ourselves, we notice the little things, well done Phoenician!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank innkeepa
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We stayed at The Phoenician in Scottsdale, Az. from 1/15/09 thru 1/18/09. The hotel and grounds were beautiful, but we encountered a number of problems with the service and staff. The big problem was, I had a diabetic medical emergency and went to the mini bar to quickly grab some juice only to find I either a) didn't have a key or b) couldn't find one after searching for it. I dialed "0" and was put on hold for a while and then was connected to the front desk. I clearly stated "I am having a diabetic medical emergency and don't have a key to the mini bar. I need sugar." The reply was: "We'll send somebody right away". I waited for about 10 minutes, the need growing more urgent and finally I called our friend who was staying a floor below us and told her that I needed help. She came right up with juice and M & M's. (My blood sugar reading was 61 when this all started). My friend called the desk and got the same person I had called to ask why nobody had responded to my urgent medical call. He said he had "called the bell captain and informed him" because he himself could not leave the desk or he would have been fired. She demanded to speak to the manager and was told that he was not there but would be told to call her. Instead, he called our line while we were out and apologized that we "had not received a key to the mini bar and it would not happen again". No mention of the fact that they had ignored a medical emergency call. In addition, we found the service on the outdoor dining to be terrible - it took almost 3 hours to get a dinner completely served and the staff to be dismissive in most venues.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
9  Thank travelsalot_7
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Lovely hotel with very courteous and helpful staff. I stayed at a spacious casita and although I had to walk to the main hotel, it was a lovely walk though the grounds. At departure I called for a staff member to pick me up for check-out and he was there immediately with the golf cart.

We also rented a car which was promptly delivered to us. When the young man inspected it and noticed the trunk was full of dry grass he took it away immediately and cleaned it up for us.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank SeychellesDream
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We booked a package deal through Liberty Travel for a Christmas stay.
I arrived a few hours before my parents and was greeted by Aaron at the front desk and by Robert, who helped me with my bags. Robert was wonderful, it was obvious Aaron wanted to be elsewhere.
My mother purchased a package deal and requested mountain views. Aaron confirmed that we faced the mountain. Our rooms faced the parking lot. Since they were at 17% capacity I asked to change rooms. Robert was gracious and immediately went to the hotel manager to see what he could do. Aaron, need i say it? not friendly.
I changed rooms to a garden level, no real view, but better than a parking lot.
In general, the rooms were nice, a bit dated, but nice. the grounds were beautiful and the pools (although under repair) were lovely. too cold to swin anyway I suppose. The waitstaff were wonderful, the food delicious.
Our only problems were centered around Aaron, who was asked to make dinner reservations at the Windows on the Green, he never did since when we arrived, the placed was closed.
He was also very rude to my parents at check out when they were working out the bill. Again, it was a package deal. Breakfast was included. Aaron was infomred at check in and he confirmed that it would be taken care of.
He must have forgotten, because at check out all breakfasts were charged and Aaron stated that they do not honeor third party coupons. are you kidding? My mother called Liberty Travel, who immediately recified the situation, love them.
Rather than admitting his mistake, Aaron told my mother that she should have brought this to his attendtion at check in. She reminded him that she had.
All in all, the place was nice, but the front desk was terrible and caused all sorts of problems, plus they nickel and dime you for everything. For their room rates, it's insulting. Gym access $25/pp, internet $12/day
Go to the Ritz, or the Four Seasons, there is a reason they are well known and established.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family