“Favorite Starwood Resort in Phoenix/Scottsdale Area”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Despite the busy Memorial Day holiday weekend, this resort is so spread out, we didn't even notice it. I'm a Platinum SPG member and was greatfully upgraded to two rooms in the Casitas (nearby kid's pool) by Aaron at the front desk. Don't need to valet, just park next to room. This resort is great for every leisure experience. I have five young children and they all love this resort. The Canyon rooms and pool are also nice (also don't need valet w/basement parking).
They have four or more pools here, kid's water slide, golf, tennis, etc. On Camelback Rd so great location. Great indoor and outdoor malls in either direction on Camelback.
Favorite Restaurant is Mastros in North Scottsdale on Pima Rd (take the 101 Loop from McDonald Rd). Mastros has many other nearby locations. Best bone-in ribeye steak, sea bass, mac & cheese, chocolate pudding cake, etc.
My children loved the nighttime watersliding and movie (at pool). We have a vacation home on the Indian Wells Golf Coarse (3.5hrs away in CA) and still come here once a year. The Phoenician is always a fun experience (as long as you get the right room).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Familyof07

Reviewed 27 May 2009

Be careful of the Reservation system at the Phoenician which is part of the The Luxury Collection.

If you stay at this resort or make a reservation with the luxury collection, be aware that the rooms are paid for in advance and are Non Changeable And Non Refundable.

After making the reservation, we found the rates had been discounted by 1/3. We contacted the hotel and this is there response.

“Hotels calculate how busy they will be and offer the rates that are available for each day of the year. Because new reservations are made every day, this situation changes frequently. Though rates usually increase, the opposite can happen; if there are cancellations of large conferences or groups for example, the hotel will have more rooms available and may be able to offer a lower rate to attract more bookings.
Your reservation at The Phoenician, was made on one of our Starwood branded websites under the 'Internet Only' rate plan as a fully prepaid, non refundable, non changeable reservation.
The Internet Only rate plan was created to allow guests to book on our Starwood branded websites while still enjoying the benefits of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. As this rate tends to be much lower than any other rate plan, it has very strong restrictions associated with it. For this reason, the cancellation policy clearly appears throughout the reservation process to allow the guest to change to a different rate before confirming their reservation and their acceptance of these restrictions.
We do offer other rate plans which have more flexibility for guests who require more flexibility in their travel plans. We must uphold the cancellation policies for each of our different rate plans.
We appreciate your patronage of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide and I do apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused you but hope that you will understand the need for these policies. We are unable to modify this reservation or rate.”

We also stayed in the rear of the hotel with a "Mountain view". The only problem is the Mountain is only 50’ away.

Stay somewhere else

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GoneAgainNashua_NH
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Fantastic stay! Rooms were awesome, clean and staff bent over backwards for our every need. SPA was AMAZING!! I highly recommend this resort for groups, couples and outings!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We were going to Scottsdate for a wedding. We decided on the Phoenician for 3 nights even after reading some poor reviews on tripadvisor. I was there for 2 weeks! I have stayed at some of the top resorts in the US and this was right up there with all of them. This includes 4-season (Maui) and Ritz Carlton (Lake Las Vegas). I do not understand some the past poor reviews. Everything at the resort was near perfect.

I am a SPG Platinum member and did get an upgraded room to a much larger room. I noticed they were doing construction right outside my room and requested a room change. They said they were out of the larger rooms and could only put me in the mountian view basic room. Room was very nice (bit small) but very impressive.

Food was amazing here. We loved breakfast and the italian restaurant at night. I will upload a pic of the meal but both were 5 star meals.

Pool was amazing. Waiters were everywhere looking to charge $20 for a cheeseburger. I accidently paid $18 for sun tan loation. O-well. Not too worried since I was on vacation.

Tennis courts were amazing with a small play area with the Wii setup. Enjoyed that. I have an 18 month old daughter and we cannot wait to take her here next Spring.

Self park was SOOO easy and FREE! Did I mention it was free? I was amazed how close it was and that it was free! You basically park underground right under the lobby for free.

Overall, if you can take the $200-$400 per night in Scottsdale then there is nowhere else to stay. Lots to do with incredible grounds and service. A must stay if you are in Scottsdale.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank PSPman222
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I am a very discriminating traveler and it takes a lot to impress me. I've visited this resort twice and it is probably the best place I've ever stayed. The service is absolutely, positively exceptional - you cannot beat it. The grounds are beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of Scottsdale, as there aren't a whole lot of things do "see" in the area, but you can spend several days at this resort and not miss the outside world.

I wholeheartedly recommend this resort to anyone visiting the Phoenix area. It is a great place to stay. If possible, and if you can afford it, I recommend staying in the Canyon Suites (a resort inside a resort), but all of their rooms are great.

Awesome service. Awesome food. Really cool afternoon tea. You really need to stay here!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Luxury Link
2  Thank andy4pr
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I was at The Phoenician for a business meeting for several days. It is a very nice resort that is conveniently located. I opted to extend my stay by one night which set me back $199 (1/2 of the regular price). The restaurants and bars are EXTREMELY expensive as were the Spa services. They also charge $12.95 a day for internet access, which, for such an expensive resort, should be included in the cost of the room. I did enjoy the Cactus Garden, which features over 300 types of cactus and desert plants. The pools were very nice as well. I probably would not seek this out as a place to stay if I were traveling at my own expense, but it was a nice experience on the company's dollar.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank chicagonurse
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We are SPG members and my 4 girlfriends and I go away every year on mostly points. We like to stay in a suite so we can all be together. We were upgraded to a Casita suite from two rooms-which was really nice of the manager. We also like to have a kitchenette for wine/cheese and some breakfast foods. We arrived to find the kitchen like the "grinch who stole Christmas." There wasn't even a knife in the drawer, no dishes, no papertowels, no coffee maker-zero. Why have a fridge and dishwasher if it's not a real kitchen. We did love the pool, we hiked Camelback (amazing), the yoga teacher was awesome, the food at La Terrazza was great although waitress in the bar was terrible, she tried to sell us on the 50% off any wine at least 5 times and was constantly interrupting us for no real reason, and when it was time to pay she stranded us) Rooms were tired and furniture dated, however bed was super comfortable, bathrooms gorgeous/all marble, flat screen TV's. The grounds were amazing, but overall they just don't have their act together enough to be 5 star.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank bostonskigal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!