“Best Hotel Experience EVER!”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Hotel Experience EVER!”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

This has to be one of the best hotel stays that I've EVER had - from check in to check out, these people are flawless. Even when the toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom, the staff responded immediately and had it fixed and cleaned up in no time.

We were assigned a Casita in a building next to the pool slide - this made my 6 year old VERY happy. And even though we had self parking outside our door, the bell staff drove us and our luggage to our room in a cart and the valet drove and parked our car outside our room and delivered our keys to us.

George, the pool attendent, was the best - he remembered our names and greeted us name each day. He took care of making sure we had everything we desired - water, food, etc. When a waiter couldn't be found, he'd go get one. His performance couldn't of been better! And the slide area was the best I've come across - NICE shaded area around the bottom of the pool slide for parents to relax so no sunscreen even needed.

When I wanted a fish sandwich in my room, which I had tried earlier at the poolside restaurant, room service figured out what I wanted and went and got it for me even though it was not on their menu or served by their restaurant. Now that's SERVICE!

At the spa, the massage was decent and my six year old was welcomed in the massage room with me since the club for the kids was closed.

Overall, this was the best hotel experience I've ever had! This is what staying in a 5 star hotel SHOULD be.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 8 June 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Phoenician experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Five Star/Five Diamond stay. Our associates are committed to making that personal connection with each and every guest to create a visit beyond expectation. We hope to welcome you back again soon, so you can savor that fish sandwich once more, and your 6 year-old can spend another full day at the waterslide!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I just returned from my stay in Scottsdale at The Phoenician. I have to say, my travel agent couldn't have made a better recommendation. My friends and I took a much needed girls getaway to relax, and relax we did! The weather was beautiful and the pool area was awesome. My favorite part was the fact that the staff brought us pitchers of ice water and it was never empty. Drinks and food were very good... a little pricey, but that's what you'd expect at a AAA-Diamond resort, so we knew what we were in for. I thought our deluxe room would have been a bit bigger, but all in all it was very nice and we had a great view. One thing most would like, but being an independent person I really didn't was the fact that we had to call for ice whenever we needed it (yes I know... the torture :). I recommend the Mac and Cheese at the Terrazo restaurant. Very yummy. I'd also recommend taking the opportunity to climb Camelback Mountain. It's right behind the resort, and about a 20 minute walk to get to the trail. I'd at least climb halfway up to see the great views of the city and a view of The Phoenician from above. We had an amazing trip and we'd book this resort with our friend (and travel agent) at Fox World Travel again and again for a nice little vaca.

Illinois
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Spent four nights at the hotel recently. The first two nights were for business and the second two for fun. As far as providing an excellent place for a business conference the Phoenician did a perfect job. Not to far from the airport, easy check in check out. Lunch out under a tent, meetings in a room that was large but not so large as to loose any sense of intimacy, dinner back out under the stars, a great venue. I have included pictures of the grounds and my really spacious suite and from them you will see its a very pretty setting, lots to do or not to do. A great setting.
But that is not why I titled this review "excellent".
It is the people that make this resort great.
During the second day of our stay we got word that our daughter had been in a car accident. Nothing horrible but she was shaken up. As were we being so far from home. The next day the General Manger went out of his way to find us and ask how she was doing. When we asked how he knew, his response was perfect, and I believe is the mantra for all the staff...it was 'his job to know'. For the next 72 hours many staff greeted us by name and asked of our daughter's well being.
In a short review I can say that staff can make a nice facility pretty crummy or staff can make an 'ok' facility seem great. In this case the Phoenician offers both great facilities and a really great staff. They have earned our respect and we will return.

Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My husband and I were at the Phoenician for a business meeting. We loved the grounds, the rooms and the service. The planned dinner was wonderful. I had a great massage by Stacy at the spa. The resort was all we expected.

We found some time to hike the Camalback Mountain which is walking distance from the hotel. It's a straight up hike with great views.

We ordered room service the morning we were leaving. We had 2 bagels and lox, a pot of coffee and 1 orange juice. The server brought a toaster and toasted the bagels in our room! He set a nice table with cloth on our patio, which was lovely. We were pretty shocked when it was time to pay the bill.... $70! Luckily it was a business expense.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It's the little touches, like the toaster being brought to your room for your bagels, that define AAA Five Diamond service, as well as The Phoenician. We hope to welcome you back for a vacation in the near future!
San Ramon, CA
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I booked a long weekend Sat- Mon, at the Phoenician using 12,000 Starwood points per night in April when the weather is absolutely perfect! It was just after the Spring Break crowds had left and it was pure heaven. You can valet park or self park for free.

Check-In
The check-in was speedy and I love Daniela Ilieva at the Front Desk. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to a very large Grand Deluxe room (4196) with a huge balcony. The Main Building has 6 floors and the rooms at the far end are bigger have the large balconies.

The Platinum Thank You amenity (chips, salsa and bottle water) was quickly brought to my room, as was the luggage. The mini refrigerator was already in the room, as I had requested it ahead of time. The service at this resort is excellent. Complimentary shoe shine, if you want.

Note: bottle water is not provided free in the room, but you can get it, no charge, from the concierge or down in the Fitness Center ( they have fruit there too). I love, James, the resort ambassador who greets you at the door. There is also free coffee in the morning until 9 am at Il Terrazzo Di Luce. I was surprised and disappointed that the water and coffee was not in the room as it is in most domestic Starwood hotels (one reason it did not get Excellent rating from me).

Room
The room was huge with king bed, gigantic flat panel TV, sofa + 2 chairs, desk and balcony with lounge and table + 2 chairs. I was told the bed was a Westin Heavenly bed ( very comfy) and the bath towels were so plush! Two closets, mini bar and large bathroom with Remede toiletries...really in heaven now ( valued at $40.)! I love that the room had a bathroom scale, but unfortunately, this one wasn't working. Magazines in the room to read or take to the pool. Turn down service between 6-9 pm with chocolates.

I asked for a DVD player and at first they said it was for a fee, then the next thing I know, they brought one up and installed for free! Also, since there was no coffee maker, I asked for some hot water to make tea and they delivered with a nice cup/saucer, cloth napkin and spoon at no charge. Everyone is so friendly and wanting to help make your stay enjoyable.

Amenities
There is a Business Center/Cyber Cafe with one free computer near the lobby and fax/copier. There are other shops here, (florist, women's fashion, general store, wine/beer, souvenir) but were all closed when I walked by.

Disappointing was the Centre for Well Being spa...it looked dated and in need of remodel (also why it didn't get Excellent rating). The free Fitness Center appeared to be well equipped (has a scale) and there was a room for classes.

Two acre Cactus Garden is along the north edge of resort grounds and is very interesting to stroll through.

Restaurants
I did not eat at any of the restaurants, but the Il Terrazzo patio is beautiful this time of year and they have a Sunday Brunch from 10 - 2:30 pm at three courses for $35. and $10 more for traditional American breakfast buffet. Afternoon tea in the lobby appears to be very popular, open daily at 2 pm. The highlight of the resort is world renown Jean-George Vongerichten's J & G Steakhouse.

Pool
The Oasis pool is the main pool with a children's pool and whirlpool. There is a 165 foot water slide for kids and young at heart. Mother of Peal pool for adults overlook the Necklace Lake filled with beautiful koi, ducks and one turtle. Cabanas are available for rent. The one turnoff was there was alot of bird dropping on the lounge chairs and weren't cleaned off daily. I got home and bird dropping on my clothes, etc...gross. Needs to be some improvement in this area (definitely not getting an Excellent rating for this)!

Activities
Funician Kids Club is supervised program for ages 5-12. Family Activity Center with movie theater, video game room, air hockey, foosball and board games. 27 hole golf course and 11 court tennis complex.

Nearby is the Fashion Square mall with many of my favorite stores, such as Antropologie, Macy's and upscale designer store, such as, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Barneys New York. There are many restaurants and my favorite Paradise Bakery, love the spicy Southwest Chicken Caesar salad! Also a movie complex.

Overall, this resort is very nice with excellent service and good location ( love Fashion Square). It is very relaxing and I would return again, but there are alot of other great places in Scottsdale, like the Westin Kierland (I like the Kierland Commons next door) and Fairmont Scottsdale Princess (best spa experience yet).

Check out the photos from my stay:

Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank SusieJue
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. Your Facebook photos are beautiful! We have noted your concerns and will be discussing with the appropriate departments. We are happy to share with you the news that we have recently purchased new cushions for the lounge chairs at the pool. Our goal is to make each guest feel special, welcome, and that they belong. We're glad to hear that this was your experience.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I'll say up front that it is not my usual style to stay in 5 star resorts when I vacation. For business trips, I like 4star, and abroad I'm a fan of bed and breakfasts or even hip hostels.

However, there's a very good reason to stay at a resort in a desert climate: you want a fun pool environment. The Phoenician was absolutely excellent in this aspect, as well as pretty much everything else. The staff was very friendly and professional, willing to go that extra mile.

We got a double upgrade to a casita. These are the units to stay in....not only did we have a pool view, but rising just above it was Camelback mountain. I chose to get the ground floor so we could just walk right out onto the grounds for an easy stroll to the pool complex.

Food:
Poolside service is great during the week, as there are much less patrons. You'll wait longer on the weekends, but nothing to complain about. The kobe burger was EXCELLENT. The ice cream parlor was perfect for a low-key breakfast and other snacks. I didn't eat dinner at the restaurants, as I wanted to check out the Scottsdale scene.

Pool:
Multi-level pool complex. The upper decks are active, and even have a basketball hoop. Mid-level has a beautiful Mediterranean tiled spa with pools and waterfalls. Lower level is the mother of pearl star pool, meant for serenity and quietness. I really loved this setup.

Grounds:
The grounds are immaculate. Since this is the desert and there are numerous water features here, naturally you will hear a lot of animals. Countless birds sing at the pools, and there are many bunnies hopping around.

Room:
Spacious and beautiful. Had a large bathroom with a vanity and separate closet with a walk-in shower. The soaking tub was a bit shallow for my taste. The linens are top quality and the room is decorated in very neutral tones. As this is a top resort, of course everything is an add-on: no coffee maker, no mini-frig (well there is, but it's full and sensored). You even are supposed to call room service for ice! This isn't necessary though, because a portion of the service closets aren't locked where you can get your ice.

Spa:
This will be a separate Yelp review. But I was very happy.

Value:
Our special rate for the room definitly makes me feel the value was very high for what we paid. The casitas I say again are the place to stay in this resort. You are steps away from your car (private parking), have a view of the mountain and pools, and you don't have to walk through lots of hallways to reach other parts of the resort. This was a fantastic experience, much better than my stay at JW Marriott at Desert Ridge. Phoenician is still a large property, but the service sets it apart....and the casita...oh the casita...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becca_C
USA
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Our stay at the Phoenician was nothng but average. The hotel was nice enough and the grounds were beautiful. However, I felt for a luxury hotel it was a little off. While the room we stayed in was spacious and very comfortable, the rug was a little worn and there was garbage left on our balcony. We also sat outside for drinks and appetizers at night. Unfortunately, we weren't able to sit by one of the fire pits as the cushions on the chairs left alot to be desired. Definitely not something I would expect for the money you are paying. We were unable to take advantage of the pools but they looked amazing and their cactus garden in the back was beautiful. All in all, in was just average, definitely not the worst but not the best either.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lovecapecod2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!