“great rooms beautiful area”

Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are huge with a sitting and office area where you can relax and get some work done outside the bedroom. The area around the hotel mainly a golf coure) is beautiful. Out the front door on the horizon is a beautiful mountain range. Theres also plenty of restaurants and activitites near by. I actually ordered roomservice both nights and it was very good. I was here for a work conference and the facilities were very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mjlynch
There are newer reviews for Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains

Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was the first time I have ever stayed at a full Marriott. I was given the corner room with a usable balcony that overlooked a courtyard. I found the room to be nice, and the bathroom was extra large with separate tub and shower. The shower was very nice, extra large with an excellent shower head. The bathroom floor was a little dirty when I arrived, some lint and a couple hair/dust balls, which I found surprising. I wish I had taken a picture of the shower, since there are none, but the posted photos are pretty representative of the hotel.

A lot of people have raved about the bed, and I would agree with that assessment. The bed was very nice, and I really liked the suite layout.

The morning breakfast was competitively the best part of the experience. It was a full fruit bar (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, oranges, banana, etc), a full continental setup, and to-order egg and waffle stations. However, the price was normally $20 per person and I would have gone somewhere else if it was not complimentary.

I used the exercise room nearly every day I was there and found it to have a good mix of free weight dumbbells and pulley machines. The treadmills were relatively new with built in flat screen TVs, but they did shake a lot when you got to the 7 minute mile range. There are trails and streets for running in the area, but during my stay it averaged 98 degrees during my running time.

Sadly the hotel was still under construction when I arrived. That was not a big deal to me because I was not planning on hanging out in the lobby. The biggest let down by far was the wifi signal. I routinely could not get a signal in my room, and when I did have one it was weak and sporadic. I believe I was on the edge of the routers range, and found it to be significantly stronger when I stepped into the hallway. The wifi was also ran by the "ibahn" system common to Marriott properties. I had to double approve the wifi at least once each day which was a little annoying.

I would probably stay here again if I was in the Phoenix area, but I would hope in a room with a better wifi signal. I really liked the property at night and found myself sitting on the balcony late into the evening, or walking around under the palm trees in the perfectly lit courtyards.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nickleec
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I go to Phoenix for business occasionally and I always stay here if possible. I am a "Marriott Guy" and there are a ton of Marriotts closer to my destination. But, to me, this place is so worth an extra 10-15 minute drive. Service is great. Gym is fantastic. I will run outside usually when here because there is a GREAT park right up the road. The restaurant is very nice with healthy choices and a great outdoor seating are with an exceptional view. The rooms are huge and have a fridge. I love the separate sleeping area - feels like an apartment rather than a "room". Definitely a place I want to take my family sometime. The pool is great too!

Only con for me is the walk to the elevators/rooms can be quite long... Nothing they can do about that, but might be an issue for some. Pay attention when they tell you how to get to your room! :)

Room Tip: The view of the pool/golf course is incredible. The view over the courtyard is pretty good. The view...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LKYI3
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was looking forward to trying this hotel, however, the construction put a damper on things. Rooms nice, but lobby and restaurant down. Had the feel of a Super 8. Restaurant and lobby was cramed into what looked like a modified room. I would wait until construction is over before staying.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank travguru12
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel. The lobby/restuarant/bar were under renovation. I'm sure once that is complete it will be a much nicer experience. The rooms were fine and the staff was great but the "bar" located in a conference wasn't the best. once it is complete I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank OnTheRoad4040
Reviewed 20 July 2012

When we were at Phoenix we stayed at the Scottsdale Marriott. I was advised to stay in Scottsdale rather than in Phoenix itself, I therefore chose this hotel. The Room we had was nice and had a balcony with view of the pool an Golf course. The breakfast was rally nice with lots of fresh tasty fruit and very nice staff to make you feel welcome. If I am ever in this area again, I will definitely choose this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank_Frambach
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The first look at the property gives you the impression this will be a very nice location. And the property IS very nice - large pool, plenty of courtyards (some in shade, some in sun), great views of the golf course. And one would expect that the rooms would be above average. Sadly - they aren't. The hotel is all suites but they are appointed like every other Mrriott Inn & Suites. They are nice just not what you expect after you see the property. Special call out for the bed, the pillows and the comforter - outstanding! Another plus is that there is PLENTY of parking and there is no charge. Bottom line is that this is a property that meets your expectations of a Marriott property but does not exceed them.

Note - remodeling happening through the summer. Doesn't seem to impact much and the staff is very willing to help.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business