“Great Hotel close to many amenities”

Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
“Great Hotel close to many amenities”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel is a great value for your money. It has a beautiful setting next to TPC Scottsdale. The rooms and lobby are all updated and it is very clean. The only downside is the slowness of service in the restaurant. We went at several different times and they were severely understaffed.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bricktamland7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Nickerson, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Great stay. Clean room, as promised. Even sofa bed was comfy. The in oh low point was z visit to the bar--terrible service. Waited forever and even after we went and found a manager, it took another 20-30 minutes to get just drinks and an appetizer. Without so much as a "sorry of took so long"

Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Well located hotel- close to shopping, restaurants, freeway access. Excellent workout room with dumbbells, machines, treadmills bikes. Great guest room services, nice hotel lobby bar with tap beers and great television.
I don't understand why we are charged $13 / day for wi if when it's free at nearly every budget hotel in the country

Stayed October 2013
Pepper Pike, Ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I had to stay in this hotel for 3 day business meeting. We had a group discounted rate , so it was OK. But I had checked regular pricing before booking and they were double of my price ( which was not cheap to begin with). Hotel was nice and clean, pool is not big.
I would not choose this hotel because of the financial reason if I will need to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Natalie44124
Southern California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This hotel is a jem that is hidden off the main road, and is inside of a country club/office building area of Scottdale. Upon check in you know that you are the most important reason they are in business. When I checked in there were 3 people in front of me and within seconds other employees came out to ease the line and get people checked in. I was upgraded to a great first floor room that felt like a true luxury suite, it had a small refrigerator which was a nice touch. The only thing that I would have liked if I was staying longer would have been a microwave. The bed was comfortable and dispite being in the main courtyard area of the hotel it was very quite. The parking was free too, which was nice as most hotels like this charge. I would and will stay here again when I am in Scottdale.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Goodland, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Only complaint is that I read lots of reviews about comfortable beds and our bed was far from that. We kept pulling out feathers that were poking us and the mattress was even too firm for my husband who usually prefers a firm bed.

Food was great in the restaurant, great patio, nice pool and hot tub...overall amazing experience.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Andrea B
Bailey, Colorado
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I am a Rewards Member so always like to book Marriott, and typically find things to be very good to excellent. I booked this hotel for convenience due to it being the location of my seminar.

I could very easily see that it was not originally built by Marriott--or if so it was a LONG time ago. I did hear however that it used to be something else and was bought by Marriott. (This comment is a compliment to the fact that their hotels are usually very appealing to the eye--this one only average).

Let me say here that there is no bellman for helping with bags and escorting to your room. That's fine, but for some reason I expected it (other Marriotts perhaps?) Yet I got my room at a very reasonable rate, so I had to figure that perhaps it would require a different price range to have that service. :-)

Marriott likes to use a typically contemporary decor in most of their hotels, and this one was no exception. Someone smart on the decorating team was trying to go with a Retro vibe--not my fav, but smart because there were architectural elements of the building/structure that looked very 60's.70's. The retro decor made it all look intentional. All that being said, it was very clean. Room service folks were excellent, but again, I must mention some experiences that weren't the usual stellar Marriott service I am accustomed to. First off, I never got another breakfast menu to hang outside my door for room service after using the first one. Also, I was told when making the reservation I would have a balcony but did not get one. When I called immediately upon entering and exploring my room, the front desk woman said they had none available. Then she checked further and said if I did change rooms for a balcony my choices were traffic noise or first level. As I was traveling alone I opted to stay put on the third floor with no balcony. (If I had been informed of this when I made the reservation in the first place it would have been easier to accept.).

The young manager was ever-present around the lobby, front desk, and restaurant. He was very attentive and even went into the kitchen to help cook at one point.

There is only one restaurant--basically in the middle of the lobby--which creates an odd ambiance. The food ranged from very good (scallops entree and hamburgers especially) to mediocre (fish tacos a little bland). Two of the 4 days I was there our wait for lunch was bordering on unreasonable for a seminar lunch break! Many of my cohorts raved about the steak salad. Bar staff VERY friendly, and wait staff rather bland. Did not get to enjoy the pool due to business, but it looked appealing.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable--one of the big reasons I love Marriott!

I will be staying here again for another work-related venture, and am not at all put off by that. I would go for those burgers again in a heartbeat, and maybe I will get to try the pool. The small size of the hotel is convenient too when it comes to going to and from meeting rooms and up to your room after a bar/restaurant visit. I could see this place as appealing to those visiting the plethora of office complexes in the area. PS there is an airport nearby but it wasn't too much of an issue.

Also, the valet attendant deserves mention--I guess there was two of them but the one was ever-present. His name was Charles. At first I thought he hovered a bit much but after a couple of days I got used to him. :) He was very polite and even offered to get my car that was parked in the non-valet lot to help me get out quickly. Very kind.

There really is no store in the hotel for supplies you might need/run out of--they have a few things, but not even hairspray, which I ran out of. There is a Walgreens about 10 minutes away, maybe more.

Paying for in room WiFi is silly,even with it free in lobby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business