“Great hotel and great location!”

Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was at the Hyatt Place last week for 3 days and absolutely loved it! For starters, it's in a great location, between Old Town Scottsdale, the great restaurants/bars on/around Stetson Drive and the Fashion Square Mall. You can easily walk to any of these locations or take the free trolley which passes right outside of the hotel. The hotel was extremely clean, offered a great continental breakfast and a helpful staff. I highly recommend the Hyatt Place!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
HPGeneralManager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for the great review of the Hyatt Place Scottsdale. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience.

They always say location is key and we are located in the heart of it all! We hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have stayed at the Hyatt Place for business three times in the last 2 months. I had never stayed at a Hyatt property before and I am impressed. The decor of the lobby and hotel is modern and sleek. The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. I asked for a late check-out on 2 occasions and the staff was able to accomodate. Internet is free; breakfast is free and there are some nice choices beyond the normal continental breakfast fare; these were waffles and 2 breakfast sandwiches (the sandwiches are good). There is also a small market case at the front desk where you can buy snacks, drinks etc; and there is also a bar - all part of front desk / lobby area. The rooms are nice; sitting area, flat screen TV, desk/work area; microwave/frig/coffee maker. The hotel is in walking distance of Old Town which is convenient. I am looking forward to staying here again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
HPGeneralManager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Gal that travels -
We are so glad to be your "home away from home". We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and we are happy that you find it comfortable and enjoyable.

Hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to Scottsdale.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2013

This is the second time we've stayed here, and both times we have enjoyed the location, the room and the lobby services. The location is ideal for the Old Town and Art District area. The rooms are spacious and have a pleasant sitting area. The lobby has a snack/wine/espresso bar available at all hours. The breakfast is very good, the lobby pleasant, and computer/printer availability good. The staff are all very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann H

We are so glad that you were able to return to Hyatt Place Scottsdale and that you enjoyed your visit. We know that you have many choices in the area and we are glad that you selected us.

Thank you again for being our guest!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We have stayed here twice, but both times were generally impressed. We stayed for several days this time, and it was a very convenient base for getting around the Phoenix area in general. A short walk to the 'heart' of Old Town and many great restaurants.

We loved the morning breakfast- a huge savings and convenience. There were quite a few offerings-- the standard toast/pastries/etc but also eggs, french toast, oatmeal, and all kinds of fruit. A great selection of coffee/tea too.

Rooms are spacious and nice for a longer stay, and beds are comfortable. The only downside to our stay was that the staff wasn't quite as friendly/polite as they were on our first trip. Also, air conditioners were SO loud- it was hard to sleep (and we're heavy sleepers anyway!). We mentioned this to front desk staff and they unfortunately didn't seem all too concerned.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
HPGeneralManager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for selecting the Hyatt Place Scottsdale again for your visit. I am so glad that you enjoyed the location, breakfast and room. I appreciate the note about the noise from the AC unit. We will have that checked immediately. The hotel is planning on replacing many of the units this summer so we will be sure to include this unit if it continues to be troublesome.

We know you have many choices in the area to stay and we appreciate you staying with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I wish I could have rated this hotel higher because the staff is delightful, but there were too many annoying things during our stay that I can't honestly recommend this place. Let me start by saying again how great the staff is. The women at the front desk during the day and in the evening when we arrived are fantastic. If it weren't for them I would have a much poorer image of this hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and attractive in a typical dark brown/beige way that so many new hotels are. It is modern without be too trendy. Personally, I hate the trend of hotels trying to reinvent the wheel just to be different and that is the case with Hyatt Place. The front desk doubles as a food counter and bar, which is ridiculous. I sat one morning and watched three guests arrive to check in who had to ask, "Is this the front desk?" Something is wrong when you can't figure that out right away. However, as I said, the women at the desk are wonderful.

I don't think this concept was originally intended to serve a complimentary breakfast, so the seating is quite limited. The breakfast is good though, so no complaints about that at all. The same front desk agent has to clean up after the guests, so they end up doing pretty much everything in the lobby at some point. I guess the whole point is to reduce labor costs, but it looked chaotic to me.

The rooms here are all suites. I think this is a conversion from a less upscale brand, but for the most part, what they have done is very nice. The living room has a huge sectional corner sofa that makes into a bed, a desk, and a bar with refrigerator (no microwave, but you can use the one in the breakfast area.) We had a two-queen room, so this room is supposed to sleep at least four people. There is plenty of space...the living room part is huge. My issue is with the configuration of the bathroom which I imagine is a remnant of the original brand. The toilet and shower are in a small separate room but the vanity/sink is out in the room totally on display to the entire suite, not just the bedroom. If you aren't intimately familiar with the other couple you are sharing with, or your kids, you will be by the time you leave here.

Other have mentioned the noise problem from the nightclubs around the hotel and they weren't exaggerating. It is EXTREMELY noisy until very late at night and we were on the back side of the hotel away from the closest clubs. They are trying to keep the riff-raff out of the hotel parking, but there is only so much they can do. I didn't really find what went on outside the hotel to be all that disturbing, but keep in mind that those same drunks are probably staying across the hall from you, which they were in our case...for two nights. The doors might as well be paper for all the noise they block, which is none at all. My advice, do not stay here over a weekend unless you are here to party, too.

Now for the deal breaker for me. The hotel's internet (which is free) blocks access to file transfers. That means that it is nearly impossible to connect to your work computer or to upload files using ftp. I know that most people could care less about this, but for those of you who need to actually do some work from this hotel, forget it. I had to move to a nearby hotel to finally get my files uploaded in time. How does a hotel that is trying to attract business people not allow full access to the internet? And yes, they were already aware that this is an issue before I brought it up. I moved to the Doubletree down the street and had no problem at all and I had never had it at any other chain hotel before.

Like I said the hotel itself is fine except for the no privacy bathroom. The staff is very good and they really did seem to sincerely care that I had to switch hotels. The location is perfect for exploring Old Town and there are hundreds of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Just be aware of what you are getting into before you book here. I'm sorry to say that I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here over a weekend unless you are here to party.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave,
Thank you for the detailed information from your visit. You and I have been chatting via email so I appreciate the time to help us investigate the Internet glitch that you encountered during your stay.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

This is a nice hotel in a kind of weird location, but handy to a lot of the old town restaurants and shops. The rooms are nice, spacious, clean and comfortable. The real joy here is the staff. They were all helpful, attentive, and extremely pleasant. They made very good restaurant recommendations and truly made our stay enjoyable. In this day and age when staff can be nonchalant and not too helpful, these men and women were all terrific.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
HPGeneralManager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for the compliments about our staff and the hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us.

We know that you have many options in the area to choose from - and we appreciate you being our guest.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt in Old Town Scottsdale on Saturday April 6th 2013. This was our first time at this location. The hotel itself and the employees were very nice. Great location, within walking distance to Scottsdale Road. After we checked in and settled our selves at about 5 p.m. we heard alot of noise coming from outside our door. After investigating we realized we were right across from the hotel ice machine. Everytime the machine filled with water it made quite a bit of noise but worse was when the ice dumped from the trays. Also everytime a hotel guest came to get ice it made even more noise. We went down stairs and reported our unhappiness with the checkin staff and were guaranteed that it would not do that during the evening. Fortunately that seemed to be the case.

At 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning we were awaken by a very large group of party goers (100 +) from the local bars who apparently all park in the parking lot surrounding the hotel. There was loud talking, laughing, and screaming, which went on for at least 30 minutes. At some point during that time of laying awake we heard what sounded to be gun shots and about that time the group thinned out and we were able to some get some sleep. That next morning after going outside the hotel we saw a group of police cars investigating something. They were taping off an area which had bullet casings.

I know that this kind of situation is out Hyatts control but we would not stay there again nor would we recommend it to anyone.....at least on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BrandiD489
HPGeneralManager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you so much for your review of the property. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel, staff and location.

I do apologize for the inconveniences with noise from the ice machine and the nearby clubs and lounges. Being located in the heart of Old Town has so many positive attributes; however, occassionally the entertainment district can be prove to be noisy. Hyatt is always concerned with the safety and welfare of our customers and appreciate the feedback.

I would appreciate hearing from you personally so that I may offer my apologies in person. My contact information is 480-423-9944. Please ask for me.