“Average and dated”

Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed 5 nights for business during a conference in the area.
All in all, it was suitible for my needs (only slept in...). I wouldn't recommend it for a vacation stay.

The good:
Staff - extremely nice and helpfull;
Location - convinient for my needs. The area includes several restaurants whithin walking distance and a Nordstrom shoping mall. All the other things are only accessible with a car;
Breakfast - free and nice. Simple continental breakfast, but provides the basic start for the day.
Not so good:
Dated rooms and accesories (although I should mention that the room, toilets and shower was spotlessly clean);
Noisy airconditioning when it's on. Bothered my sleep even though I'm not a light sleeper. Had to turn it off;
Sink in the room (outside the bathroom). No bathtub (though it didn't bother me);
Renovations are taking place in parts of the motel (didn't bother me as I left early and came back late, but you should be aware of that;

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm glad you were happy with the service and amenities we offer here. The good news is that we are undergoing a COMPLETE remodeling project, which will be complete just before Christmas, and I'm hoping you will be happy with the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We spent 24 nights in hotels this last (October) month.
We tried to stay with Choice Motels as we love the points towards free nights.
All of the motels were very comfortable, and we thought this had been a great trip.
THEN we spent our last night at the Sleep Inn in Scottsdale, AZ. Now Scottsdale is an upscale community, and we figured we would have a great motel. WRONG!!
When I walked in the door, I was greeted by a sign saying "Steve Ziltner - Guest of the Day." Wow, I was impressed, and between that and all the Platinum Awards on the wall, I figured our last night on the road was going to be the best one. WRONG!
The gal at the front desk was very personable and did tell us that the 2nd & 3rd floor rooms were being renovated. Usually we try to stay on the top floor to eliminate any noise from above. She said we would be OK on the first floor beings no one would be above us.
We walked into the room and I couldn't believe what I saw when I checked out the bathroom. Clearly the sink from hell! I have included pictures. I understand they are messed up with the renovation, but with sinks like this, maybe they should have started on the first floor.
Would we go back??? Probably not as nothing was very PLATINUM about this place. It will take one heck of a renovation to make this place Platinum in my mind.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveZ234
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

I'm terribly sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay. Our renovations are nearly complete, and I have posted some new photos of our new look. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your loyalty the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

This hotel is being renovated. They have very limited room selection, limited ability to switch rooms when problems arise, and no incentive to repair damage in the unrenovated rooms. I imagine this hotel will deserve another look after the work is completed next year.

Under the circumstances it is difficult to comment on the room and the amenities because they will be changing. However here is the current state of affairs:
The rooms are large and spacious, but the bathroom is only large enough to hold a toilet and a standing shower, there is no tub. The bathroom door does not lock (its a pocket door) so be forewarned if there is a need for privacy.

The bedding and furnishings were worn but in usable condition. Due to the large old-fashioned tube TV there was very minimal desk space on which to work.

There is no closet, just an open area in one corner of the room to hang clothing.

There were various water leaks from the second floor that left portions of the carpeting wet. This was blamed by management on the construction work taking place on the upper floors.

The air conditioner made noise like a jackhammer until it was replaced during the second day of my stay. Since they have limited inventory, they are unable to move guests who experience problems to a different room so I had to suffer through one uncomfortable night with the AC off.

Also, on a side note regarding staff professionalism: While I was in the lobby area working, I clearly heard the front desk staff complaining about their overbooking problem. They were making fun of certain guests and even suggested messing with the AC and or setting off the fire alarms in the hope that guests would check out early in disgust. Is this really the way to run a hospitality operation?

Room Tip: If and when they start renting renovated rooms, ask for those. Avoid the non-renovated rooms and roo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank RedBaron62
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. I am sorry your experience here was not a good one, and hope that you will accept my sincere apologies. The complete renovation of our hotel will be complete in the week before Christmas, and I do hope you will like the improvements we are making. There is no excuse for unprofessional behavior by a staff member here, and I will use your review to train and emphasize the need to stay positive and focused on the guest at all times. Please introduce yourself the next time you are here so I can make sure your stay is problem free.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed 4 nights on business at the Sleep Inn in Scottsdale - convenient to area companies and several restaurants and shopping plaza within walking distance from hotel (if you can survive a walk in 114 degree heat).

Very friendly front desk staff with great check-in, check-out. Adequate complimentary breakfast. Free wireless internet.

Lobby and rooms, while clean and reasonably comfortable, were dated - tired comforters, carpet and furniture abound. 90's wall paper, colors etc. kept the property from looking clean and crisp - needs to be updated or refreshed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Scottsdale. Yes, it was hot, and yes, we are in need of a new look. The good news is that temps are now in the reasonable 90 degree range, and our COMPLETE remodeling project begins in a couple of weeks, and is scheduled to be finished by December 2011. We hope you will be back and be pleased with our improvements.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is not a fancy hotel, but it is clean, the staff is exceptionally friendly and it's a great value. I've stayed here several times in the last four months and will do so again. I also brought my large dog with me on one occassion, and the "pet room" was just as clean as the others and didn't smell at all.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a fridge and microwave - some rooms don't have them.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Thanks so much for staying with us several times and posting your review. I'm glad you and your four legged family member are happy here and we look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again the next time you are in town. We aren't fancy and we try not to be but we are getting a new look and will have a "fancier feel" by the end of the year. Come take a look!

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We were welcomed warmly and given a room upgrade at no extra cost. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The continental breakfast had both hot and cold dishes, and was kept very clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Thank you for staying with us and posting your wonderful review. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself while you were here, and I will share your comments with the team, as they really appreciate kind words such as yours. I hope we can be of service to you again sometime.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

we stayed here for one night and we had a good stay. On our arrival there was a sing with our name that informed us we were the "guest of the day"; for this reason we found free drinks and snacks in our room. Room and bathroom were quite large and clean. Breakfast tasty and lavish, with waffle maker. The only flaw was the poor choice of restaurants near the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn at North Scottsdale Road, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for writing & submitting your comments, and congratulations on being Guest of the Day! I wish you had asked for restaurant recommendations at our front desk – there are many in our area and I’m sure we could have found something that you would have enjoyed. If your travels bring you back to our area, please let us know, so we can make sure you find everything you need here.