“Scum , Grime and Hair”

Ranked #71 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Surprise, Arizona
“Scum , Grime and Hair”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I spent several hours online trying to decide on a Fathers Day weekend getaway.
We are approx 1 hr. away from Scottsdale as I thought I would treat my Husband to the Breakfast place Butterfield's the next morning, for dinner I brought 2 thick Rib Eye Steaks and sides with us. And then Fathers Day would treat him to a tour on the Desert Belle Boat at Saguaro Lake.
I purchased rooms for $35 per night ,being new to the state of Arizona I thought scottsdale was an upscale area.
So when I found out we were staying at Extended stay of America, I told my husband how great these hotels are.
When we opened the door to our room what a disappointment,first of all the size sq ft.
Size of the bed seemed to be a full size, we have 2 queen beds in our home so we know the size.
Next kitchen was dirty,counters, cabinets were contact paper pealing ,large pieces missing,also in bathroom sink. Toilets sit very low to the floor,and water level comes up to your back side,slow to flush,you have to stand there to make sure it flushes,if you don't it will still be there when you return how nasty is that.
When showering water doesn't drain at all ,when you awake it will be waiting for you, full to the top of the tub w/ scum,grime,hair.
We thought we were being punished for something,or what do you expect for $35 per night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vikki55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Imagine a $38 Hotwire deal on a hotel room in upscale Scottsdale and you've probably pictured Extended Stay America on 69th Street. I had business in the area, so I decided to save a hundred bucks and go for it.

I can't imagine this property was ever flagged "Extended Stay Deluxe," but it used to be. An already small room becomes "extended stay" by cramming the bed into a tiny alcove and installing a kitchenette. This is a fine setup if you're a fresh young grad living in New York or San Francisco, on a tight-budget holiday or if you've been displaced by a disaster. It is woefully inadequate if you expect comfort, a sink that drains, a tub that doesn't drip incessantly or furniture that isn't worn and stained.

Grab and go breakfast was coffee, apples and pre-packaged muffins and fruit.

That said, the service was great. Check in was friendly and efficient, as was housekeeping. Wifi was reasonably speedy. At $38 I'd use this property again, but just to crash alone for a night or two. I'd never bring my spouse here or consider it for a getaway.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Richard M
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Being in the hospitality business, I critique my hotels like I critique my restaurants. It's more than just the amenities. A good place to stay, has good people. And this place has real good people. Heather, Borka and my go-to guy Vince are always polite, positive and help-full. They do even the little things like saying hi and bye every time with a smile. If you need suggestions for dinner or the local dry cleaner, these guys will lead you the right way. My man Nawaz, the maintenance man, is always there to help you with anything. Even if you just need help carrying your groceries upstairs. Thank you Extended stay, from a great "Stay"..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that our staff was able to take care of all your needs. We strive to provide excellent customer service and to ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I got a room at this hotel cheap through Hotwire paying $38. For that price, it was worth it, it is not worth the full night price. Bed was comfortable and shower had good pressure, but the bathroom was not very clean and the linens had stains on them, ones that don't come out. Location was good for us as well as the price, probably would not go back. Breakfast is awful, don't expect to eat there. Staff was not particularly friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kcirtapp
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your room and the service our staff provided did not meet your expectations. I will be speaking with the entire staff about the importance of cleanliness and the best ways to acheive our company's standards for this. As well, I will be coaching them on how to provide great customer service.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at psc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The bed was excellent. And for what u pay is a great place to stay. It is what it is. More then ok. And I would stay again. It was very central to all. We just found it hard to find.the kitchen was nice in our room. Oh but don't sleep on the pull out bed, they are all the same. Awful.

Room Tip: Any room is fine
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Selena - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The staff and I strive to provide all of our guests with clean rooms at great rates; I am so glad we were able to do this for you! Still, I am sorry that your sofa sleeper was unclean. Our housekeeping staff is looking into this issue and working to correct it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Our experience was NOT the best, average, since the air conditioner did not work properly, improper wake up call and cleaniness was not very good.( pool was dirty in the morning).I would not stay at this hotel again and not recommned it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gregg w
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to complet our survey. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. Here at ExtendedStay America Scottsdale, believe in trying to make every guest feel as though this the their home away from home. I am sorry we failed in that mission. We take all of your comments very seriously in hopes to better ourselves as a staff. Again, thank you for taking the time to complete our survey, and I hope you will give us another chance.
Upland, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this for a place to stay business. I walked into a bad movie. I felt like the traveler in Oceans 13. Except, I didn't get sick. Walls are paper thin. Carpet has stains throughout the room. Cabinets couldn't be accessed (broken). Sleeping was almost impossible. I should've slept on a bus stop. It probably more quiet than the machine you would call a air conditioner. I wasn't even going to see the offering for breakfast. Thank God, Starbucks was around the corner.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank richnanners
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to complete our survey. We at Extended Stay America Scottsdale appreciate your feedback. We strive to make every guest experience and we failed in that mission with you. Your comments will be relayed to our staff to ensure that we are providing great service to each and every guest.Again, thank you for completing our survey and truly hope that you will give us another chance.