“EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED. Really got the weekend off on the wrong foot. Would NEVER go back.”

Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The hotel was under construction when we arrived. I do not mind a business renovating, but this should have been mentioned on their website. The floors were tore up, the air smelt of tile saw-dust, and there was only one, very slow working elevator. Most of the lobby was shut off and guests had to be re-routed to access the front desk and elevator. Had I known this prior I would not have stayed here. At check in, my credit card was charged and additional $25 above the price I had reserved the room for. Tax had already been included in the cost and the hotel staff could not determine what the extra charge was for. It was later credited back to my account, but I was never told an explanation as to why they would charge ANYTHING extra without my authorization and I hadn't even see the room yet. When we got to our room, it wreaked of sewage. I'm not normaly one to complain, I thought opening the windows for a bit would help. It did not. That, combined with the fact that the elevator was right next to our bed on the other side of the wall, I knew this was not going to be the romantic getaway I had planned. It is now nearly 10:30 at night and we are tired from traveling all day. We went to the lobby and requested another room, thankfully the lady was able to find one, which turned out to be much better. Still found hair in the bathtub, but at this point I wasn't surprised. The rest of the night went well thankfully. Although I will say there is a bit of false advertisement on their part- the 1 bedroom King Suite with whirlpool tub looks nothing like the pictures on their website.
We had been told that a free continental breakfast would be served in the morning. So after looking out our window and seeing the rather pleasant patio setting they had set up, we went down to partake. There were two sections laid out, a gentleman preparing custom omelets, and a buffet style row of tables with rolls, fruits, eggs, hash-browns, sausage, bagels and the likes. Everybody was helping themselves and seating themselves on the patio. We did the same. Everything was pretty good, except the eggs, they must've been made with water it seemed like. At the end of our meal a hotel staff member asked if we would like the bill now, or to be tacked onto the room charge. I was shocked as we were told it was free and we did not partake in the custom omlet booth as you very obviously were supposed to pay for that. When I questioned him as to why we were being charged, he simply said, the "hot" food was not included in the free continental breakfast. So the disgusting eggs that neither of us finished and two pieces of sausage cost us $17. What a SCAM! They were intentionally laid out in trays right along side the bounty of other items that were "free" with no separation or even staff member to tell you the difference! We paid the bill and immediately checked out, I had had enough of this hotel and it's gimmicks to waste one more minute there. It's such a shame that what could be a good thing is ruined by lack of quality and care. I have stayed with Hilton hotels before, and this is a first, but I will seriously question ever using the brand again if this is allowed to persist unchecked.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Random37

Reviewed 24 April 2013

When we arrived late Friday night, we found out that the hotel lobby was being renovated. We were directed to go through a bar up to the temporary front desk. A lot of the hallways were blocked off and only 1 elevator worked. ***see pics I uploaded*** There was no tile throughout the entire area. Not disappointed about the remodeling, just wish that they would have announced this online or told us before we showed up and found out the night of. We reserved the 1-bedroom suite w/ jacuzzi spa. The first room we received (514) was absolutely horrible. The room smelled of sewer, it's right against the elevator shaft so you can hear people, and the room was not up to our likings. We went downstairs and the front desk gave us another room on the 7th floor instead (which ended up being very nice and we were satisfied).

The breakfast in the morning was good, however, we were kind of upset about how it's ran. We did not know that only the cold items were free, which we found out at the end of our meal when the employee brought us a $25 check. The hot items (eggs, sausage, etc) placed right next to the cold items on the same table will cost you $7 a person. They did not explain that to us at check in, nor is is posted anywhere at breakfast. Make sure if you want to eat free, only get cold items!!!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but with that we were more informed. If we knew what we know now, we probably would have stayed somewhere else in Old Town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank trship3634
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Very friendly staff. Lots of free parking. Clean, quiet rooms. We were facing a busy road and hardly noticed it with the trees and dividing walls. Best location to stay if you're spending time in Old Town Scottsdale. Trolly stop near by or walk to shops and restaurants. Never used our car.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

The lobby was being remodeled during my stay so the lobby was roped off, it was noisy, and there were workers all over but I understand they are making improvements so it did not bother me. I had no complaints about the hotel. The omelette station for breakfast was great. The desk staff was also very helpful in recommending places to eat since I was there by myself from Michigan.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Very noisy street side bottom level room! Don't ever stay on the street side at this hotel, it was a nice location and except for not sleeping well would have been an okay place to stay. I don't know why I have to have 200 characters to write a review. Don't ever stay on the street side at this hotel! Don't ever stay on the street side at this hotel! Don't ever stay on the street side at this hotel!

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Hotel rooms are large, cool, comfortable and clean. Hotel is clean and modern and staff is friendly. There is an unlimited supply of free coffee in the lobby in the morning which switches to fruit-infused water in the afternoon - very refreshing. The pool is nice and the location is extremely convenient to Old Town.

2  Thank Andrea F
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We love to stay in old town Scottsdale and walk everywhere we like to go: art galleries and restaurants. We always book a suite for anything over a one-night stay, because only one of us like to watch TV. The suite is spacious; furniture is comfortable. Staff responded immediately to a problem with a lamp, discovered at out arrival. Delicious water flavored with fruit available in the lobby after the morning coffee--much appreciated in hot, dry weather.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member