“Excellent location; great breakfast”

Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed one night before flying back to the UK from Phoenix. Staff were very helpful and sorted out an error with our bill quickly. Our room was clean and comfortable. It is a short walk from Scottsdale Old Town where the free trolley bus will take you to the other parts of Scottsdale, including a modern air conditioned shopping mall - very welcome as it is very hot in June! Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very reasonably priced and offered an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1953DaveH
MASickler, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2015

Dear 1953DaveH,
Thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town. We appreciate you staying with us while being away from the U.K.. Glad to read you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms and you found our team members to be friendly and helpful. Thank you also for the nice compliments about our breakfast. I hope you have another opportunity to visit Scottsdale again in the future! Sincerely, Michael Sickler, General Manager email: msickler@csmcorp.net

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Talk about a great location ! So much to do , so many places to dine and types of entertainment just around the corner. No car needed. The staff was unbelievable in helping with every thing. They could not do enough for you.

Dear SAMZIMA,
Thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town. Glad you really enjoyed Old Town Scottsdale. Thank you for your nice comment about our staff being helpful. We truly hope you are able to come back and visit us again. Thank you! Sincerely, Michael Sickler, General Manager email: msickler@csmcorp.net

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this property in Scottsdale for 5 nights from 6/15/14 to 6/20/14. My experience was very very basic. The type you'd expect from lower branded/franchised properties.

Location: It was ideal and close to both Old Town and all the shopping, food and destinations of Scottsdale to the north. It's situated in the middle. Area looked decent during the night, when I went out to get food.

Hotel: Property is older, but was recently renovated. Lobby and public space have the new Hilton Garden Decor. The parking garage was well lit, but still didn't feel safe. A section was abandoned and just roped off. I felt anyone could just cross over and cause harm. Also the door from the parking garage to the lobby elevator was unlocked most of the time. I even inquired a few times why it wasn't locked. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to get mugged. I used the surface lot the remainder of my stay. Hotel was constantly busy with tour buses everyday. I can see how the other reviews mentioned noise issues.

Rooms: The guest rooms seem to have the same old furniture, but carpet and wall covering were replaced. The bathroom was not touched. The room is pretty basic when compared to other Hilton Garden hotels especially the one in Cartersville, GA. The rooms are very basic. The HVAC unit seemed underrated for the room, because it constantly ran. The bathrooms have not been updated, and it gave it that dingy feeling. Also the shower curtain was damaged and never replaced during my stay. The floor in my room had stains or damaged, making it seem that it wasn't cleaned. Carpet could also use some cleaning because numerous dark stains. I dropped something and it rolled under the bed, they use a standard bed frame that is exposed. There was a lot of debris and dirty/dust under the beds.

Pool/Fitness: I used the fitness room. It was nice and well kept. I guess when they updated the public space they renovated the fitness room. Wide range of free weights, elliptical machine, a bike, and some treadmills. Not bad for a large hotel. The pool was always packed, so I skipped it.

Breakfast: As with all Hilton Garden properties you have to pay for breakfast. Since I had elite status with Hilton H Honors - mine was free. It was good and it wasn't bad. If I had to pay for it, I would skip it. The breakfast should seriously be free, it is the same style breakfast they serve chain wide at the Hampton Inn hotels (which is part of Hilton Family of hotels). Suggestion for them to just include it in all rate plans. A lot of customers were griping they had to pay $12.30 for breakfast.

Staff: Here is where they can really improve. They don't acknowledge Diamond Hilton H Honors status. At check-in I asked if they had any upgrades available for diamond members, and the girls response was "No, you should've booked earlier". I told her your website shows available for the upgraded rooms for the entire length of stay, she shrugged her shoulders and had me on my way. Ok, I thought to myself - why the heck am I a diamond member.

My keys had to be re-made every day (not kidding you). After a long day at work and trekking back to my room and then having to come back down got old after the first day. They had the same employees everyday, didn't they see a pattern that the lock didn't work. The night before checkout, it was late and I had an interesting experience with the night auditor (3rd shift). I went to my room and key didn't work (again of course) - went to the desk. He told acknowledged me and said wait. Ok I thought - instead he answered a call from a friend or co-worker and so I waited for 10 minutes. All the while I'm upset that 4 nights of keys not working and this being 5th - no one fixed it. Finally after getting off the phone, he stated let me check if you put the keys in wrong. Again I'm thinking how rude of you, didn't you see the notes that I've been down here every night getting my keys remade. I told him this was getting old, he in a non-apologetic way said sorry and shrugged his shoulders. Wow!!!!

Same guy was at check-out and he didn't say a word. I stay at a lot of hotels, this has been by far the worst staff experience so far. Additionally at all hotels I stay at I try to find out good places to eat or go visit. The staff had no advice or they just didn't care. I should've realized early on that I should've just searched yelp.

Breakfast staff were very friendly and so was the bartender at the bar.

Wifi - It worked and during peak times it got slow. Nothing to be too concerned about.

Overall - There are a few other hotels right near by (half a block down the road - Hyatt Place & Marriott Suites). I would definitely give them a try. Every hotel has a room, pool, fitness, breakfast, but what sets you apart is the SERVICE & HOSPITALITY. This place seriously lacked both. I would not stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Get a side that doesn't face the street. They have tour buses coming in everyday and it gets lo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
MASickler, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and offering a review of our hotel. Please know that we offer a 100% satisfaction promise. If our services or product is not satisfactory, we were gladly fix the issue or can follow up with you to ensure your satisfaction. If you have any unresolved issues, please call me or e-mail me at 480-481-0400 or msickler@csmcorp.net. Thank you! Michael Sickler, GM

Reviewed 22 June 2014

A hotel is a franchise, which means the experience needs to be the same from the top to the bottom, from employee to employee. All Answers received from questions were completely different, there were bugs and mosquitoes on the first floor rooms.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
MASickler, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Mr. Andrew C.,
Thank you for staying with us. As with all Hilton Garden Inns, we take guest satisfaction very seriously and truly want you to be completely satisfied with your stay at our hotel. If there is a service issue which affected your stay with us, please let me know so we can resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Thank you again for staying with us. Respectfully, Michael Sickler, General Manager. 480-481-0400.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel was amazing the only bad thing was the first night the ac unint was stuck on 79 to 81, called someone to fix no one came that night. Called in the AM and a very nice maintenance man came and fixed it and while he did that gave me a voucher for free bfast. the stay here was amazing one small thing but all the rest made up for it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel was easy to find using our GPS. It is located within walking distance of many attractions in Scottsdale. Sheltered parking is available, the staff were friendly and helpful, the lobby was conducive to meeting friends and talking, and there were many thoughtful touches: complementary ice water, coffee, and fruit in the lobby; good security; a good flow among patio, pool, and sports bar; very comfortable rooms. The only detractor was individual room air conditioners (heat exchangers?) which were a bit noisy for good sleeping (and we did not immediately notice the thermostats on the walls so it took a while to get comfortable). In all a good experience.

Room Tip: We shuddered when we realized our room backed up to the elevator, expecting whooshes as it went up a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Within walking distance of all the fun spots in Old Town Scottsdale. And if not, hop on the free golf cart shuttles for a tip. Clean pool, quiet location, good cookies and a plentiful breakfast buffet. Do not hesitate to book this hotel!