“Boutique Hotel in Scottsdale”
Review of 3 Palms Hotel

3 Palms Hotel
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed at the 3 Palms in September 2011 after a trip to Hawaii. I was just looking for a place to stay because of a very late flight arrival and long drive home the next day. The hotel is conveniently located near PHX, downtown Phoenix, downtown Scottsdale and Old Town Scottsdale. The hotel is also located across from a large park on McDowell Road near Hayden Road.

The hotel, or more specifically motel, was very comfortable in an updated, very classy ultra-modern art deco style. The room and bathroom, were very small but included a flat screen TV with DVD player and HBO, in-room safe, microwave, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, coffee maker and basic toiletries. I found the large king bed to be very comfortable but the pillows too mushy. The hotel also had blackout curtains that really worked and kept the morning sun out so I could sleep in. My only complaint had to do with the noisy under-window air conditioning units - they were very loud and ran for long periods of time before shutting off. After I finally manually turned my unit off late at night I could still clearly hear the unit in the adjacent empty room - they nicely updated the room and decor but kept the noisy a/c units. I could also easily hear the toilets and showers of people both next to my room and in the room below - this is not a place to stay if you expect complete silence.

There was complimentary Ethernet with in-room Internet access and also 2 free PC's in the Guest Lounge area with coffee and tea.

The hotel location was good in a safe area in south Scottsdale so getting to and from the airport was quick. There was also a weight room, laundry room, heated pool, free parking both in a lot and on the street and you could easily walk to a supermarket (Fry's) and drug store (Walgreen's).

Overall the hotel was incredibly cheap, in an acceptable area close to lots of attractions and the remodeled rooms were very tastefully done. My only negative was the between room noise and the noisy air conditioning units. That being said I think I would return as the beds were very comfortable and I did get a good night sleep.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank Mark O

Reviewed 8 October 2011

We really enjoy going here as a weekend getaway. It's a very economical place and the pool is very nice to relax by. It's very simple, nice, and modernized. If you are accostumed to the large spaces of newer American retreats this is not for you! But if you and the family want to fee upscale for a fraction of the cost this is it. Many great places to eat just over the bridge or in Downtown Scottsdale.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the poolside second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank endless_explorer
Reviewed 7 October 2011

They took a so-so motor lodge and added paint & new furniture to make it look flashy, but it's still a so-so motor lodge. We were checked in by a very rude young woman. Check-in took almost 1/2 hour as the girl took a call on her cell phone! The rooms do look nice, but they are very small & the bathroom was tiny. There was a fridge, micro & flat screen TV, but I would have traded all that for a good nights sleep. The walls were thin - the people next door had music on all night and the people above us were loud and stomped across the floor all night. The in-room hot tub was very cramped (and I'm only 5'1") and my tall husband couldn't fit in it. Motel is located on a very busy road with cars traveling fast all night. AC unit rattled all night - it kept us up. Hot tub in the pool area wasn't working. Very disappointed in Scottsdale - it was loaded with strip clubs, pawn shops and used car dealerships. Old town Scottsdale was just a bunch of galleries - not much to do for the average traveler. I would not recommed this motel it to anyone and nor will I be returning to Scottsdale.

Room Tip: For a good room - go someone else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MassSmiley09
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed here for two nights while in town with one of my girlfriends. The pictures that others have shown are acurate. Everything is updated and modern. Bathroom (toilet and tub) was small, but the sink area was seperate and was large enough for both of us to get ready at the same time without issue. We arrived in town on a late flight and felt safe in our surroundings. We had alot of luggage and Paul, the front desk attendant, helped us bring everything upstairs(no elevator to top floor). He also gave us some good tips on local restaurants and directions to the Tempe Beach Park, where we were heading the next day. This was service that I wouldn't really expect at 2am, while someone is working alone, but he provided it with a smile. Pool and hot tub were incredible, clean, and not busy. It also had a poolside bar that we didn't check out. Park next door offered a nice view, tons of runners and people playing frisbee golf. Close to the airport, safe, clean, modern, and one of the cheapest places I found. Was completely impressed and would recommend to anyone. Will be back if Im ever in town again.

Room Tip: No elevator, so stay on the bottom floor if stairs are a problem. Stay on the top floor, parkside fo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I had to find a last min hotel and this was a great choice.. Decor was nice and modern I will stay here again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2011

This hotel I think may have had a prior life as a Travel Lodge. It has outside entrances like a motel. The price was very cheap under 50 (booking.com). The pics on the website were taken at night with the colorful lighting and they look awesome. If you drive up in the day time, you might be a little disapointed, but the rooms are nice. Our room was large as it had 2 double beds. I always ask for 2 double beds because you get a larger room and can lounge on one bed while you sleep in other. Or lay out your clothes on one for the next day, et cetera. I gave 3 Palms an "Average" rating because I would reserve "Very Good" for finer hotels. but I would consider this a nicely adequate boutique hotel. If you go to Spring Training, a good place to stay. They have remodelled it in art deco style. The sheets were white with nice comforters. The hotel has wi-fi, a guest lounge with big TV and 2 computers with a printer, a small gym, a pool and bar by the pool, which is nice since it was a thousand degrees out. The towels were thick and white!! But with all the cool things, you still walk by the laundry room that has open doors that gives it a Travel Lodge feeling again, and the walkway is spotted. They need to hose it down. All in all it fluctuates from hotel/motel in identity.

They gave us vouchers for breakfast which is across the parking lot in a newly remodelled - beautifully, I might add - restaurant that serves as the hotel's room service kitchen. The restaurant also has awesome bathrooms!

The hotel is very close to Old Scottsdale. So nightlife and shopping is not that far away, a few blocks. It's close to a larger mall, Tempe Market place, which has a Verizon store and many restaurants. We ate at San Felipe's Cantina - so/so. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Get 2 double beds. I hesitate suggesting a room overlooking the pool because of the noise factor an...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

ok, so my husband booked a week stay here, but the website (Exp.too) was really misleading. He went alone, and he is not a very picky person, but he didn`t stay here at all. The rooms have outside entrances, so if you open your curtains, everyone who passes by looks right into your room. Security is questionable... Lots of `run down` looking people were standing right outside and smoking. The rooms are extremely small, baths too, and dark. He cancelled his bookings and luckily Expedia found him a little modern condo studio, even though it was a 30 minute drive out, it was worth to change it. I do NOT understand the ratings anymore, this is a 1* place. (4 or 5*s should be hotels like the Fairmont, or Embassy Suites, etc. Right?)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business