“I must have been crazy to book this roach infested motel!”
Review of 3 Palms Hotel

3 Palms Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Stratford, Connecticut
“I must have been crazy to book this roach infested motel!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I flew into Scottsdale 3/30/14 for a business trip. Since I was flying alone, without the wife and kids, I book the 3 palms. I was looking for a good deal and had minimal expectations in terms of service and amenities. Upon my arrival, I entered the lobby and waited for the employee at the front desk to return. Immediately I noticed that the hotel lobby was filed with mosquitoes. All of the furniture and walls were covered with little mosquitoes. I asked the employee about this and she told me that the outer door had inadvertently remained open and the bugs from the lake across the street were attracted to the lights and migrated in. Although I was somewhat concerned by this, she assured me this had never happened before and that my room would not be affected. Against my better judgement I proceeded towards my room. Immediately upon entering my room I noticed a large 4-6 inch cockroach crawling along the carpet. I proceeded to kill this roach with a book that was located in the room. Afterwards I returned back to the help desk. I requested to speak to the manager on duty who was not available. The girl at the front desk offered to place me in an adjacent room, however, I requested a refund. SInce the trip was booked through an expedia package, this was not possible without calling expedia first. What an awful and disgusting place. Stay away.

Room Tip: Be on the look out for roaches and flies
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank martinri23
Luxurytaste, General Manager at 3 Palms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Martinri23,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review. It gives the hotel a glimpse into the hotel experience from the guest perspective. That is such a valuable tool for any hotelier. The "mosquitoes" that you are referring to are actually midge flies. We are located next to a beautiful urban park that has a man made lake, which our guests have full access to and have reported that that they really love this amenity. With having the lake as a neighbor it does comes with it's challenges. The midge flies tend to come out in the spring and the fall when the weather is not extreme; cold or hot. Try as we might, there is no preventative pest control method for these flying nuisances. The only control is the chemical balance in the water. I have already contacted the Scottsdale Parks and Recreation to balance the chemicals in the water to try to combat these insects. Scottsdale Parks and Rec came out last week and we have not had any other complaints since.
As far as the cockroach that was found in your room, I am terribly sorry. Whenever a guest finds anything unpleasant in a room it is certainly embarrassing for us. To call the hotel a "roach infested motel" though, I think is a little harsh. We have in place a monthly pest control program provided by an outside vendor. We take pest management very seriously here. As you can see from previous reviews there is no infestation or anything close to an infestation. We strive everyday to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in all of Arizona.
I am very proud to work in this hotel and I am also very proud of the service and amenities that are provided for all of my guests.
To have one of these issues happen to you while staying a hotel is bad, but to have two issues happen that is really frustrating. I am glad to hear that your money was refunded. We always encourage our guests to initiate contact with Expedia whenever there is a challenge. If we initiate contact the process is delayed. That is not our policy it is the policy of a third party. If it was up to us we would hit a button and the funds would immediately be back into your account.
Again, I thank you for letting me know about your stay. I wish I was here on the night that it happened so that you could have had immediate resolution. Please make it a great day!!

Brian Klein
3 Palms Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the 3 Palms for 5 nights during spring break. The staff were friendly, helpful and always willing to go the extra mile for you. The hotel was very clean and cleaning staff were quiet and courteous. The decor is a little older in places but they have also done a great job of updating as much as possible. For what we paid, I could not have imagined more. Pool area is a real highlight. Grocery store and Starbucks right across the street. Short walk to the free Scottsdale trolley system and a beautiful park right next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Park side room was very quiet and just a short trot to the pool. Jacuzzi tub was well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hillsboro
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel is nice, but without any frills. The staff is friendly, but not prepared when I reserved a room with 2 queens they had a single king for first night (of 3), so I had to switch rooms. The room is pretty clean, the AC is loud, but works well. The location is simple, but nothing really do to close without a car. Pool area is small for the amount of rooms. Prices were OK, but a little pricey for what you get. Would recommend offering robes too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
La Grande, Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

A great hotel in Scottsdale ! Central Location ! Priced right ! Very clean and Quiet ! Plus a great spot to walk right next to the Hotel. 10 miles or less to all major Spring Training Stadiums, Super Golf courses with in that Radius too. But the best part of the 3 palms is the Staff !!!!! Guest Services Stephanie found me the best seat I have ever had at a Baseball game !!! Right next to the on Deck circle, I was talking to all my favorite players, she set me up with stub hub and printed my ticket to the game and called around to see if there were any better deals ? Thank you very much Stephanie !! The Star of 3 palms Hotel Staff !!! Will I come back ? That would be a big Yes !!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Great place to stay. Convenient location. Excellent staff. Very clean. Enjoyed the pool and Jacuzzi. Good family environment. We stay in the area a lot for soccer tournaments. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Room & bath/dressing area too small. At $250 a night a free breakfast should have been provided. Parking was inconvenient. No comfortable lounge area. Coffee in a locked room?! I will not repeat my stay!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Dureen,

As I am always troubled when I read reviews like yours. As you can see from countless other satisfied guests we do our best to provide a top notch experience. We keep our coffee in our guest lounge which does require key access. As you may or may not know when you provide a complimentary service there are those that will take advantage. We want to make sure that only our guests have access to this complimentary amenity.
As far as the rate goes, your dates of stay happened to fall during our peak season. We try to stay competitive with our surrounding hotels. We do our best to keep our rates lower than the other hotels in the area. To date, we have been very successful in that respect.
Also, as of right now we do not offer a complimentary breakfast. Unfortunately this hotel is not set up as a breakfast hotel and our philosophy is, if you are going to do it make sure you do it right. There are so many restaurants in the area that excel in this area. We are looking into ways to provide this amenity to our guests.
I am truly sorry that your stay was not a memorable one. I am even more sorry to hear that you are unwilling to give us another try. This hotel is really one of the best deals in the area. Thank you, though, for taking the time to provide your feedback. I hope your future accommodations are able to accommodate your needs.

Brian Klein
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Our first surprise was the closed poolside bar and adjacent restaurant. Next came the in-room coffee maker which didn't work, and air conditioner that only came on when we re-set the temperature. My wife & I were given one washcloth and hand towel each day. We called to complain about a loud nearby room at 3:45 Sunday morning. At 4 p.m. Sunday, when the party resumed, the hotel moved us to a different room, closer to the office, where they said most people usually don't make a lot of noise. Seems to me instead of moving us, perhaps 3 Palms may have been better off to move the noisy crowd, out of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3PalmsManager, General Manager at 3 Palms Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Mr. Hergert,

My name is Brian Klein and I am the General Manager of the 3 Palms Hotel. It always makes me pause when I see reviews such as yours. The staff and myself strive each day to provide a relaxing and enjoyable environment for all of our guests and it seems you were unable to experience that on your most recent stay with us. I spoke with my Chief Engineer and he assured me that the AC that was in your room was fixed once it was brought to his attention and I am proud to say that we have not had any other complaints from that room. We have also switched out the coffee machine so that it is now in perfect working order. As far as the guests that were being loud on Sunday early morning, I am terribly sorry for that inconvenience. I understand that we did contact those guests to keep quiet which they did. We always enforce a very strict policy about curbing the excessive enthusiasm and rowdiness for all of our guests. If a guest becomes rowdy they have one chance to calm themselves down before being asked to leave. Only one incident was brought to the attention of the front desk. No follow up complaint was lodged so that we did not have to ask them to leave. That being said, I do understand that your stay was not everything that you had hoped for and for that I am truly sorry. As a hotelier, I value this kind of feedback so that we can take this information and make positive changes for our future guests. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Scottsdale area you will consider giving us another try. Thank you and make it a great day!!