“Great Jazz”

Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I went to Kaimierz looking for a jazz club in which to spend an evening. I had never been to one to speak of before, so I was interested. It's situated in an upscale shopping area, but the door is pretty hidden and practically umarked. I arrived at 8 on Monday, and the crowd was pretty sparse. Music didn't start until 9, but I decided to wait, since it's a good half hour from downtown Phoenix.

They were out of the wine I ordered, but they substituted a similar one. So I killed a pretty boring hour waiting on the musicians to arrive.

Once they did, I really enjoyed the experience. The setup was drums, electric piano that doubled as bass in the left hand, trumpet, sax, and a superb female vocalist. As to not offend the lady, she was a jazz singer with quite a few years of experience. She really knocked my socks off. I stayed until just after 11.

A couple of times, there were some patrons who were trying to talk over the music. It was pretty annoying to hear "dude" and "like" when I was trying to listen to some really fine jazz. They quieted down, though. I guess that makes me prematurely an old man, but come on guys.

Waitresses had a little trouble with my move from the bar to a table, but after I flagged one down, they were attentive and friendly.

Atmosphere is very dark and private. When the music starts, it's very intimate, but never too loud.

Monday and Thursday are standards nights according to a website where I found it. When I left, they were charging at the door, but I didn't have to pay at 8.

There are newer reviews for Kazimierz World Wine Bar

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Since my recent move, which puts me closer to Old Towne Scottsdale, I've had the pleasure of experiencing several new and exciting venues. The Kazimierz World Wine Bar is high on that list. Been there twice, once on Friday night and once on Monday night. Friday was busy, but we did get there early and had good seats at the bar. There are tables and couches, but call ahead to reserve those seats. Monday, the place was virtually empty, which was surprising considering the music. They offer an excellent wine selection and more than decent bar menu, but the highlight in my mind is the decor and the music. You better know where the place is or you will surely get lost as there is NO signage, that's right, nothing to indicate the entrance...nada. Once inside, the feel is what I would describe as east coast, warm and cozy, decorated in stone and wood, very relaxing, sophisticated (for AZ) and inviting. The crowd is varied in age and style, but generally hip and upscale. It's not what I would think of as a family venue. There is a cover charge for the music and it was well worth it. Monday featured Margot Reed, a jazzy, Ella inspired sound, which I thought was just great. Check out there website for future performers. This place is a must see, you'll become a regular, very romantic, bring a date, you won't be sorry.

1  Thank Scrammy1
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Very romantic atmosphere. Very dark but not too dark. Food is GOOD! Drinks were expensive. But, the JAZZ band was extremely good. Friendly, prompt service. VALLET parking is a PLUS!!!! 2 THUMBS UP :-)

1  Thank marydoe178
Reviewed 28 May 2013

When I say hidden gem I'm not kidding. Someone from the group we were meeting there had to meet me on the street so I could find it as it had no signage and you were let in at a side door. Had the cool feeling of a SpeakEasy.

Once inside it was kind of cave-like and dark and had great live entertainment. I felt like I was in NYC back in the day. Wines were great, food the same.

My one complaint -- the ladies room. Without getting too gross, let's just say this. When I got home that night I literally had to wash the bottom of my Tory's before walking into the house. Yea, that bad...

1  Thank dkrstec
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Margo Reed was in the house and performing Monday night at the Wine Bar. We were tickled that she came over to our table. The trio of Keith Huff (drums), Tony Donato (saxophone), Joe Robbins (keyboardist) were very good. Especially Mr. Robbins! We are Margo Reed fans now.

The drinks were good and the hummus with veggies and focaccia bread were readily gobbled up.

1  Thank 195Travelqueen3