“Tranquil, romantic, best service!”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My boyfriend and I have recently visited Sedona for the first time. I heard of this hotel through a friend who said I “must” go there. I am so glad I did hear to her recommendation! The view of the red rocks we had from our bed was magnificent, we also took advantage of the yoga classes (which are great), and enjoyed breakfast, lunches and dinners by the creek. I also had a wonderful full body massage with Michelle. Finally, I want to mention their fantastic staff who are all very friendly without being intrusive and responded to all of our request quite fast. Can you believe that they DON’T take tips AT ALL?! That is unheard off! Humberto in particular was great! Gracias Humberto!

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a room with a view if you want to see the rocks. Otherwise, the creek is...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LFZ_81

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We chose this place because its the best in Sedona. However, we went on a full holiday weekend and - well - we were the last ppl to check in so we got the cruddiest room on the property. Imagine if you will, the beautiful drive into Sedona and down into L'Auberge - the check in was great, the staff was remarkable and then you walk into your room and find that your balcony stares right a the wall of the next unit. The bellman knew our room (56) we nick-named fifty-sucks... wasn't the greatest because he really pushed the big veranda out in front of the lodge/common area for us to use. We don't want to sit in common areas, we want to sit on our balcony which was unusable. Anyway, I called the front desk and was told, they were sold out - we then negotiated back and forth - they wound up buying us Sunday brunch to make up for it. The gentleman on the phone was very kind and helpful. (They knew right away when I called...)

The grounds are beautiful we walked around, there are complimentary scones, coffee and tea in the morning. Sitting by the river was great. The restaurant was nice - its right on the river, white table cloths, extensive wine list. Sunday brunch was spectacular!

The pool area is cute and perfect for this resort - its a great place to cool off.

A great amenity at this property are the shuttles (nice cars to take you up into town and drop you off and pick you up when you need a lift back.) No drinking and driving - which is absolutely fantastic.

This is a no-tipping resort - they include gratuities on your bill so you're not constantly handing over money every time you turn around. Food gratuity wasn't included.

Next time I will make sure that I don't get a room in the creekside lodge unless its on the front - you live and learn.

Room Tip: facing river/next to river/ not fifty-sucks
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jengaloveshawaii
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Plenty of reviews previously written describing the beauty of the surroundings, the uniqueness of the cottages, the enjoyable morning yoga, and the friendly and helpful valet staff. All true. Not much written about the new pool yet, probably because it is nothing to write home about. Here is my quick summary, followed by a more detailed description of our stay in Sedona and at L'Auberge (below). Hope it is helpful.

Hotel Pros:
-Beautiful View of the Red Rocks, Serene Setting
-Wonderful Morning Yoga (creekside if you are willing to get up early!)
-Unique cottage, with fun outdoor shower and nice deck
Hotel Cons:
-Incredibly small pool lacking ALL amenities, including restrooms!!!
-Not really walking distance to much and "complimentary shuttle" (included in expensive daily resort fee) has VERY limited range. They will not drive you to some of Sedona's better/ top rated restaurants (see below), even though they are a short car ride away.
-Very expensive and over rated food, beverages on-site. You are paying for the setting, which you can enjoy without dining in the restaurant.
-Hotel is showing wear and tear in the bathrooms.
Sedona Overall:
-Truly enjoyable meals at Cafe Elote and Dahl and DiLuca. Highly recommend.
-Wonderful morning hike at cathedral rock, highly recommend even for the less athletic (don't let the "hard" rating deter you!!!)
-Small but enjoyable "wine country" to be found en route from Sedona to Scottsdale. Fun tastings, cheese pairings, even a massage in the vineyard if you like.

Those who have written in complaining about the lack of a pool on the property would not be impressed with the addition of the pool, which opened in July. It is not on par with the hotel's 5 star rating. The pool and pool deck are very small and completely fenced in (no views of anything). There are approximately 12 lounge chairs and one umbrella available. Unlike the other 5 star resort that we visited after we left L'Auberge, there are no cabanas, there is no poolside service available (for food, drinks, or even water). There are no misters to keep you comfortable in the hot Arizona sun. Worst of all, there are NO bathrooms for you to use while at the pool!!! We spent one morning at the pool, and I had to walk over to the valet to ask where the restrooms for the pool were. They directed me to the spa, adjacent to the pool. I walked into the spa, where the receptionists told me I was not welcome to use the restroom there. I needed to go (hike back) to my room. We were staying in a pricey cottage at the top of the hill (with views of the red rocks). After the hassle of trying to find the bathroom, and the long, hot hike up to our cottage to use my own restroom, I decided neither the pool nor the hotel overall were worth it. (I also opted for a massage offsite - rather than deal with the receptionists at the spa ever again.)

A couple other things to note: the daily resort fee is high for what you are getting , considering what you are paying to stay there in the first place. L'Auberge is not a "resort"...it offers a minimalist workout room and tiny pool. The hotel offers a few complimentary services to justify the fee. The valet is prompt and friendly, the morning yoga is wonderful. But the advertised "complimentary shuttle" is a bit of a racket. They will only take you to a handful of restaurants that are very close by, a couple of which are actually owned by the hotel. I guess a good way to direct business into their own pockets. The first night we were there, they recommended Taos Cantina and they offered to drive us there. The service at the restaurant was poor, food overpriced and mediocre, and it turns out the same folks that own L'Auberge own Taos. This was the last dining recommendation (or complimentary ride) we accepted from hotel staff. If you want to go to one of the better restaurants in Sedona (we really enjoyed Elote and Dahl and DiLuca), they are a short drive from the hotel, but you are on your own for transportation. The "complimentary" shuttle won't drive you to either place ?!?!?

6  Thank OneCityAtATime
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I recently took my wife to the L'Auberge de Sedona resort for our 3rd anniversary, and I must say it impressed from the minute we checked in to the minute we left.

We had a Vista Suite, and I highly recommend this room. Very spacious, great views of the Vistas from laying in bed, jacuzzi, cedar shower...I could go on and on about this room.

My wife was 5 months pregnant at the time, and she enjoyed the comfortable bed, and did yoga on sight each morning at 7am in the 'Artists Loft' - the yoga instructor the hotel employs was perfect for the type of 'vacation yoga' she was looking for.

For me, running throughout Sedona each morning was magnificent. Right near the downtown part of Sedona, this hotel is near almost anything you'd need for a great stay.

And being alongside the creek was another treat - the creek-side dining experience the hotel offers is the cherry on top.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have just returned from my weekend getaway to Sedona and L'Auberge with a group of friends. It was my first visit to the Sedona area. The entire time I was there I kept asking myself why I had never been there before.

The resort was amazing. The staff looks after you from the moment you drive up. Most all of the staff were exceptionally friendly and willing to handle any request we had. My spa cottage was in a great location. It was across from the spa, fitness center and pool but not noisy at all. I rarely heard people outside unless I had the door open to my porch. The beds were amazingly comfortable, bathroom was very spacious, plenty of room in the bedroom and the outdoor shower was great!

We at dinner in the restaurant one night. While we wanted to sit outside there was no outdoor seating that evening due to a storm that never came. A bit bummed about that but we managed just fine. The food was delish but it took a while for it to come out.

Overall the stay was perfect. I will go back and tell my friends they need to visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank dallasflyer
Reviewed 11 September 2011

When we arrived we were met by Conner at valet. One of the nicest and most polite people I have met. Great first Impression for your establishment. I had family in town and drove up for the day from Phoenix. We had lunch outside by the creek. What a beautiful place. If you come to Sedona, you have to eat here by the water. Food was good... Typical French with small portions. When we were leaving, even before I got to the valet, Conner was already pulling up my car.... This was great because I had my 87 year old and 91 year old with me. I tried to give him a tip at valet, but what ever I did, he would not except it. Thank you for a great afternoon

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank Kev-dor
Reviewed 7 September 2011

From the moment we arrived at L'Auberge, we received nothing but VIP service. First, we were greeted by Connor Penna, who parked our car, took our bags to our room, and gave us a tour of our cottage. His well informed and friendly demeanor set the tone for a great weekend! Then, any time we wanted to venture into town, a friendly L'Auberge driver drove us to and from our destinations. I highly recommend having lunch and or breakfast at the resort's restaurant along the creek. The food and ambiance were stellar. We will definitely return to L'Auberge!

1  Thank sbpeterson