“Hated to leave!”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 23 March 2012

One of the most romantic places I've ever stayed (including Paris)! My husband took me on a surprise Valentine Day trip to L'Auberge. We'd stayed there once before for only one night and with our kids. This trip was very romantic. There were three weddings there that weekend. We had a creekside cabin, he golfed and I got a fantastic hot stone massage. We ate at the restaurant two nights and a lunch, also had drinks on the terrace around the fire pits. We stayed at a creekside cabin (I think 22) the first two nights but then got to move to our favorite, #5, for the last night. Burned every piece of wood to keep the fire going as long as possible. Could hear the creek outside. Just a fantastic place. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Low number creekside cabins.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,536)

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Despite a couple of kinks, I still had to give this place a 5. We picked L'Auberge due to the reviews that we had read and it's proximity to town.

While the location on the river is perfect, it turns out the proximity to town is not much of an asset, unless you need a cactus salt & pepper shaker, a T-shirt or a jeep ride. While the Sedona area is absolutely breathtaking, the town itself is like a bad Gatlinberg TN.

L'auberge sits on a tranquil creek and has several separate cottages that are self contained. We stayed in one on the river. It was very clean, wonderful bedding, and the staff could not have been more accomodating.

We only ate lunch at the hotel. It was OK, but $60.00 for lunch for two with 1 beer and 1 glass of wine seemed excessive.

There were three things that could have been improved, but again everything else about the resort was so good that I can't give it less than a 5.

1. We booked the reservation on the day of our arrival by phone. We were not told that we needed to move into another cottage after the first night. The staff moved everything and both cottages were great, but this shouldn't have been a surprise. It is a pain to pack and move and we should have been notified that this was required prior to booking.

2. Small thing, but when we arrived in the new cottage, they had failed to move the beer that I had in the refrigerator. We had just returned from an 8 mile hike and I was really looking forward to one of those beers. The front desk inquired of the staff and no one would claim responsibility for taking the beer. The concierge told me that nothing like this had ever happened before. Not sure if he was implying that I was lying. It was just a pain. They actually ran out to the store and brought me a whole 12 pack, but it was three hours later and we were ready to move on to dinner by then.

3. Lastly, not necessarily a criticism, but a suggestion. When we arrived the bellman was very attentive and took us to our room. I offered him a couple of bucks which he declined saying that the service was already included in the room rate. When we had lunch, there was a place to add a tip so they obviously accepted tips. I was not sure who to tip and who not to tip. I would suggest that they just let the bellmen accept tips and eliminate the confusion.

3  Thank Nunya B
Reviewed 19 March 2012

What an incredible place to stay! LOVED everything about our stay -- from every friendly and helpful employee we met, to the beautiful scenery around the resort, to the cozy and lovely creekside cabin. Manager Ryan Pedersen made sure our needs were taken care of. Looking forward to another stay at L'Auberge de Sedona.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hope4444
Reviewed 18 March 2012

L'Auberge is a property composed of a lodge & cabins situated on Oak Creek in Sedona, Arizona home of the amazing red rocks. I booked a Garden View Cabin' a couple of days prior to travel for myself & two teenagers. Upon check-in I was told we were upgraded to a 'Creekside Cabin', which was wonderful. The cabin was a large sized room with a king bed, queen sofa sleeper, wood-burning fireplace, writing desk, wardrobe & comfy side chair with ottoman. We also asked for a rollaway bed which fit into the room without any difficulty. Attached was a bath including a large dressing area with double sinks and separate tub/shower & toilet area. Off the dressing area was a door to a private enclosed outdoor shower for bathing (we did not use, too chilly during our stay!) The room was emaculate, the provided shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap & lotion were a pleasant grapefruit scent. Each cabin had a large private deck that overlook the Oak Creek with a table & chairs, plus a chaise. This resort is a 'Non-tipping' resort. They have a %10 charge that includes all tips to housekeeping, valet & bell services (excludes dining). All service staff were exceptionally accomodating & cheerful; seeming to enjoy their jobs.

We ate two meals on property, lunch & breakfast. We sat at a creekside table for lunch. I had a Ceasar Salad with freshly griled chicken, my teens had a Caprese Salad & cheeseburgers. The waiter (Luxiem?) was very attentive, even spoke with the chef for my teen who has Celiac and cannot consume wheat. We had the most amazing panne cotta with a toasted marshmellow on top, & authentic cream brulee for dessert. The only glitch was the wait support staff was very slow. I asked one guy to please refill my iced tea 4 times (receiving a eye roll in return on the 3rd time) before our waiter did it for him. Breakfast was nice but, nothing special. They did have the best applewood smoked bacon but, the roasted potatoes we soggy, not crisp. For the $$ I expected more. Other guests mentioned that the 3 or 4 course dinner tasting menu is amazing. Very relaxing, would be a superior spot for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank weenie dog
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Best resort experience I've ever had. Hands down. Gorgeous, magical, peaceful setting. Highlight was service. Genuine, friendly, caring staff who goes out of it's way to make sure you are pampered. I gently complained that the water jets in the outdoor shower were painfully forceful and the shower head was replaced that day! Nestled in the heart of Sedona but feels like you are isolated. Easy walk to everything or the valets will give you a ride. This is good because traffic can get very heavy. This is a classy, yet low-key place. Not in the least bit "full of itself" as is often the case in a high end resort. A great place for couples. Pick this one!!

Room Tip: Worried that I made a mistake picking the garden cottage over the creek side cottage to save money...
1  Thank Connie T
Reviewed 18 March 2012

From the first minute to the last, every part of the experience whispered "excellence"!! Every employee was polite, professional, helpful and ready to serve....every time! The cottage was beautiful, cozy, romantic and perfect! Room service was great, the food was amazing! The scenery was breathtaking, the spa was very well done...from the reception to the steam room to the massage...it was top of the line! I hated to leave!

Room Tip: We asked for a cottage with a view, which made it also one of the more private ones as it was at the...
1  Thank RuthAnneFergie
Reviewed 12 March 2012

my husband and i recently spent 4 nights in a cottage near the creek. sedona is stunningly beautiful and one can't help but let go of the stresses of life when you are surrounded by such overwhelming natural beauty. but l'auberge is the perfect resort from which to experience sedona. it is small and intimate, the cottages with fireplaces are utterly charming, the staff is knowledgeable and attentive, the food is wonderful and the fact that it all centers on this mesmerizing sun-dappled gurgling creek just puts it over the top. although this was part of a longer trip for us, i suspect that even a few days at l'auberge is enough to feel as though you have had a true get-away.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen L
LaubergeDeSedona, Public Relations Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Thank you for choosing L'Auberge de Sedona. We are very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.