“World class spa”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay overnight but enjoyed a day at the spa. A walk through the impeccably maintained grounds and smiles from helpful employees preceded a blissful spa day. Veronica warmly greeted us and gave an excellent tour of the luxurious spa facilities. She really set the tone for a lovely afternoon. Well done Veronica. Everything was spotless without seeming cold and sterile. Caleb did my salt scrub and wrap. He made sure I was comfortable and the treatment was incredible. I felt like I got more than my money's worth which is sometimes hard to do at a spa.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your spa experience and were well taken care of. We hope you plan to return next time you are in Sedona!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First off, this is not a bad place to stay at all. However, in the age of online reviews, hotels need to ensure they exceed expectations. One way to do this is to avoid trumpeting about accolades which set expectations above what they are realistically able to meet.

We had a Vista Cottage, with an awesome view of the red rocks and a huge balcony with a dining set and deck chairs. Some reviews complained about the view, so it is important to note that the view differs between room types; you could be looking at red rocks, the creek or something more unsightly, so book accordingly. We had a huge bathroom with an outdoor shower and a spa tub that also shared the view.

We had a lot of interaction with the valets, since the car had to be valet parked and we needed it frequently to get around (many businesses are a short drive, but long hike away). They were great and super efficient and helpful, and kinda worth the mandatory gratuity.

We also took the advice of other reviewers and tried the creekside breakfast. That was pleasant enough, though the combination of price and food quality did not justify a repeat visit.

Altogether, not too bad.

There were a few issues though - that should not exist in a top 100 hotel and thus the average rating of only three green dots:

1) Everything about the bed was unprofessional. It was old - way too soft and wobbly. It would rock side to side whenever my husband got in or out, and I felt like I was lying on a slope inclined towards his weight. The pillows were unhygenic as the pillowcases gaped in the middle exposing the pillow itself! Also, modern hotels no longer have anything non-white (eg. throw pillows, runners) on the bed that isn't laundered between guests, but this one had it all, including white square pillows we THOUGHT were laundered but only after getting turndown service on the last evening realized weren't (they were removed during turndown), and we had been putting our faces on them to sleep on earlier nights when we'd not used turndown service - ugghhh! And the bed was also made very sloppily by housekeeping - the pillows looked like they had been tossed onto the bed from a distance and no attempt had been made to smooth out the duvet. On this last point, I can deal with it if it's my own bed at home, but not a top 100 hotel bed.

2) Housekeeping didn't replenish shampoos. Am sure the valets would have quickly rushed up a bottle at my request but one only discovers such things after having already stripped down.

3) The worst part - the internet bandwidth was terrible. The internet is still usable during the day, but in the evenings it ceased to function. This was highly inconvenient and unhelpful for researching and planning our excursions for the next day. I wrote this in another review - INTERNET IS LIKE WATER. Just because many people are using it at the same time is not a valid excuse for it to be insufficient.

4) I was looking forward to jumping into the pool after getting back to the hotel early one afternoon but it was tiny and fenced up and not enticing at all, so I passed. Again, not a top 100 pool at all.

My recommendation to the management is: remove the long list of accolades from all marketing materials and forget about them. Then, treat yourself - fly to Bali and spend a night at each of the top 3, 5, or 10 resorts there. Ensure the L'Auberge experience is on par with any of those resorts. And then, let the internet reviewers comment away.

Room Tip: decide what you want to look at (rocks, creek, nothing) and book accordingly
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nitpicker011
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the red rock view from your Vista Suite including the deck, the outdoor shower and the bathroom. Many of the accolades that we strive for and post are from guests voting or their personal reviews. For example, our TripAdvisor rating is based off past guest reviews and we are very honored to be reviewed as one of the top properties in Sedona. That being said, we know that there is always room for improvement and the points that you listed will help us improve. I would be happy to speak with you personally to ensure that we do take our guest reviews seriously. - Jesse Alexander, General Manager, 928-204-4313

Reviewed 9 July 2014

L'Auberge is a gorgeous property nestled in Sedona by a creek.Very charming setting! Fantastic service along with beautiful and comfortable rooms. Convenient location in Sedona. Stayed in the Vista Suite which had amazing view of the Red Rocks. It was a perfect room for my husband and 13 year old. Would certainly go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We're happy to hear that the Vista Suite was a hit with your family. We'll see you next time you're in Sedona!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I have visited Sedona several times as his mother lives nearby. This was our 2nd stay at L'Auberge this time in a Spa Cottage. I was there for 5 nights, 3 of those days by myself since my husband went to Supai hiking with friends for 2 nights. Never once did I feel uncomfortable being alone. The cottage was fantastic, quiet, spacious, and well located. Since I was left without a vehicle, the valets were always available to take me to the top of the hill anytime I needed, and I was within walking distance of anything that I needed. I loved spending time by the creek in a swing mornings and afternoons-so relaxing. There were several weddings there during our stay, but not once did they interfere with my day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CeciliaF991
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

We appreciate your continued support of L'Auberge and happy that your second stay was enjoyable! Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently spent 2 nights in The Lodge and although the surroundings are beautiful I really couldn't rate this as a 5 star luxury resort. Our room in the Lodge was nice, clean and had a lovely private courtyard area, however, the bathroom was tiny. We had no full length mirror and one of the closet doors wouldn't close.
There were extra charges that we weren't aware of until check in including a fee to park the car each night, only valet parking, $30/day gratuities and I am still waiting for the release of funds that were held from my account. This is several hundred dollars which left me short as our stay was at the end of a months holiday. We are now back in Australia and still waiting for the release of this money even though I sent a request for an email to be sent to our card provider for immediate release.
Staff were very friendly, food very expensive and we were served the wrong meal, although they offered to prepare the correct meal we had already waited some time and others in our party were eating so we just accepted what was brought, not really 5 star treatment.
This is really a beautiful location but we would never stay there again. Very overpriced and disappointing.

Room Tip: There are several options here and as we only stayed in the lodge it is hard to say what the other o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl B

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We do have a policy to let every guest booking a reservation know about the parking and service fee, we also have it listed on each confirmation email sent. Our reservations team will discuss your comments and make sure this policy is followed. We strive to make sure each guest is taken care of and has their expectations met and exceeded. We apologize this was not the case with your stay. Should you plan to return, please contact us personally so we can ensure a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Where do I begin? First off, let me just say that I love the L'Auberge branding, it's so elegant, so simple, but so wonderful. When you hear the name, you just want to go and stay there! L'Auberge in french means "the Inn" but it's much more than that.

This place is listed on the list of the top 100 places to stay in the world. I can see why, really I do. This place is also the top 3 places to stay at in Sedona based on TripAdvisor, again, I can see why. It's won many awards for it's service and beautiful surrounding, and again, I can see why. I've been wanting to stay at this place for several years and every year, I would shriek at the price. Finally, I was able to find a deal where I was able to get vouchers for my stay to test it out first before I come back and spend $400-600 a night at a place I thought I'd like, but end up feeling ok about it, that was what I was worried about. But now that I've stayed here with the vouchers, I would come back and pay full price, hands downs, no questions asked.

The place is kind of hidden, it's goes down into a private narrow driveway and you'll miss it if you don't carefully look for the sign "L'Auberge". It's right in the center of town, but at the same time, it's so quiet and peaceful. There's a valet greeting you and you don't have to tip them because it's included in the resort fee so no need to fumble over your wallet to find change to tip the valet guys.

The valet guy got my stuff out for me and walked me over to the concierge desk to check in. The check in lobby is small with cucumber water greeting you and beautiful furniture for you to sit in. They explain to you how the resort fee works, the internet, the restaurants, etc.

Then you're to walk to your room with the bell boy and he gives you a tour of the fitness center, the salt water pool, the restaurant, etc. Walking under the flower trees made it feel like heaven. It also kept us cool the entire stay.

Once we checked in to our gorgeous french style room, we immediately changed into our bathing suits and got in to the salt water pool. It's a small pool but it was so perfect.

We decided to peruse the town afterwards for dinner and it was such a cute and quaint downtown area. I loved it and no rowdy morons to ruin it for the rest of us, very peaceful.

Later that night, we went to the lobby to meet for the stargazing and the man who worked there knows his stuff, he even built the telescope himself. On top of that, we got to see a close up of the moon and even see Saturn, sooo clearly too! I had an amazing time!

The common area has games and a fireplace for us to open some wine and play chess and scrabble. I thought it was wonderful!

Lunch at the Oak creek restaurant was also really nice (see my review for that). Every morning, we got to feed the ducks and my daughter loved it so much, we had to drag her away from there so that she won't overfeed the ducks. They serve scones, pastries, coffee, and tea every morning in the lobby. We loved it and would take our plates to sit by the creek on the swing and enjoy the view.

They do yoga stretches every morning and I heard wonderful things about their spa services, I'll have to come back for that.

The first day we were there, we were offered ice right to our room and bottles of water, they had their waters every where to keep people hydrated. The amenities in the room was wonderful, even the shampoo and body wash was so nice and they refilled it for us everyday.

When we wanted to go hiking, the concierge was very helpful and gave us maps and where to go. The valet guys had iced cold water bottles for us ready to go for hiking.

When we forgot things in our car, the valet guys would take us in the golf cart up to our car and back so we didn't have to walk up ourselves. When it was time to check out, they put our suitcases on the golf cart and took us out to the lobby, riding in the golf cart, my daughter really enjoyed it. Customer service was spectacular.

I will say that this is one of the best places I've ever stayed in and I will come back to enjoy it once again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay. We are so happy that you enjoyed your whole time with us. We appreciate you sharing your vacation photos as well! We look forward to welcoming you back and to show your our Spa at L'Auberge & L'Apothecary, I'm sure you'll love it!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

A breath taking experience! Our last 2 nights of an already incredible vacation were spent at L'Auberge in Magical Sedona. THOSE 2 days were the highlight of our 9 day trip. The hotel's footprint along a fast moving creek was magnificent! Cottage #1 was incredible with a huge patio over looking the creek with a romantic outdoor shower that we enjoyed under the stars each night! Service spectacular....food delicious.....staff over the top! NEVER LEFT THE RESORT! You can even float on the creek and swing on a rope nestled in the trees along the creek....yoga outdoors...duck feeding each morning....swings and chairs along the creek..restaurant is creek side with the sounds of rushing water.....no where else to stay! We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: COTTAGE #1.........king canopy bed....sofa in front of fireplace with plasma TV above.....spacious b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your glowing review. We are honored to be the highlight of your vacation. Thank you for participating and enjoying our daily activities and creekside dining. We look forward to welcoming you back again!