“Gorgeous location, mediocre room quality”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
“Gorgeous location, mediocre room quality”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the resort this month for a friend's wedding. While the location is absolutely beautiful, there was nothing outstanding about the accommodations by any means. We stayed in a creek side cottage. It has a good amount of space. If you're at all interested in watching TV while in bed, most of the cottages are not conducive (unless you lie on your side the whole time :). The bed was only semi-comfortable and the pillows not at all. I was surprised to find things not well-kept as you'd expect for a suite costing $500/night. One of the stoppers on the toilet seat was missing, the pictures on the wall in the bathroom were very low quality and one frame was very obviously broken. The hot/cold/on/off indicator ring in the bathtub was hanging loose over the handle. The WORST thing about this experience was that there was a housekeeping storage shed attached to the back of the building and when housekeeping would access the room and close the door, there was a very loud bang that rocked the whole back wall...coming twice at noon nap time as well as three times between 11 pm and midnight. If you're looking for a beautiful location, this is a great spot, but for the cost....I would expect a much more put-together room. I've slept more comfortably at rooms for a fraction of the cost.

There is complimentary coffee and scones/danishes each morning. The first morning it was very well attended with an employee cleaning up and refilling thing three times in the ten minutes I was present. The second day I left and came back after waiting ten minutes for coffee and creamer to be refilled. No one came. When I returned the items had been replenished, but no one attended the area for quite a while.

The concierge came through with printing something quickly for me that I needed and I appreciated her attentiveness. All staff I experienced were polite and friendly without being intrusive.

I'd give the grounds, staff, and location an A+, but the room itself in quality and comfort gets a C.

Room Tip: Choose a "modest" room with a great view and walk down to the creek to enjoy it's beau...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carrie J
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We're delighted that you enjoyed our location and our staff was attentive to your needs. We appreciate your comments on the details of the rooms and will review this with our team, we agree with you that the details make the stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Polish first
Chandler
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My fiancee and I have been enjoying the L'Auberge experience since December 12, 2008, the day we actually got engaged on the property. L'Auberge was in on the surprise engagement and made it so memorable that we will only stay on the property. (As a matter of fact, we will decline and/or refuse free offers from others in the area!) We travel to L'Auberge 1-3 times a year. Every time we stay on the property, the staff continues to exceed our expectations, and they are pretty darn high. We recently spent the 4th of July here and were catered to and spoiled rotten. LOVED IT!

The property is very dog friendly which allows us to bring our Cocker Spaniel, Bree. She too receives alot of attention. Staff is super friendly and courteous. We are greeted warmly with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne and our fur baby receives a doggy care package as well with goodies from the local dog bakery.

We have enjoyed several couple's spa packages catered to our needs, delicious meals at the bar, and OH GOODNESS GRACIOUS you must try the all-you-can-eat brunch on Sundays along Oak Creek. There are several activities everyone can enjoy. One of my favorites is yoga by amazing local instructors. You can not help but meditate and relax.

I must give HUGE "KUDOS" to one individual who always goes above and beyond to assist us with any needs... Ryan Pederson. He has been in on all the surprises over the years including our most recent to celebrate my upcoming birthday! He always checks in with us to make sure our trip is wonderful. We can not say enough GREAT things about Ryan.

Staying at L'Auberge is peaceful, tranquil, and relaxing. The views from the cabins are breathtaking. This is definitely the place to unwind, take in the phenomenal environment nature shares, enjoy a tasty glass of wine, and be with your loved ones.

L'Auberge is where it's at. All that is missing... is YOU! You will not forget your time spent here. It's a beautiful place to create your own memorable experience. Let the folks at L'Auberge spoil you!

Thank you L'Auberge for being a part of my life. I can not wait for our next experience with you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NawlinsVoodooQueen
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of L'Auberge and your continued support throughout the years. We're so honored that you choose to spend your important celebrations with us. We'll be sure to give Ryan an extra pat on the back for taking such great care of you. We'll see you soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Wow- the only reason it is 4 stars experience, because the Food and Beverages aren't organic or non-GMO, so dining experience for us, although it has an amazing location right on the river bank.
We loved the privacy of the cottage, its decor its working 'real' fireplace and its close proximity from valet. You could go dip your feet in the ice cold water of the stream and listen to it to. As for value, if you have been in Four Seasons or the Ritz, this probably won't measure up. In other words it is expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Stay low in the creek!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We're so happy that you enjoyed our location along oak creek and took advantage of getting your feet in the creek!
Chicago
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay overnight but enjoyed a day at the spa. A walk through the impeccably maintained grounds and smiles from helpful employees preceded a blissful spa day. Veronica warmly greeted us and gave an excellent tour of the luxurious spa facilities. She really set the tone for a lovely afternoon. Well done Veronica. Everything was spotless without seeming cold and sterile. Caleb did my salt scrub and wrap. He made sure I was comfortable and the treatment was incredible. I felt like I got more than my money's worth which is sometimes hard to do at a spa.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your spa experience and were well taken care of. We hope you plan to return next time you are in Sedona!
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First off, this is not a bad place to stay at all. However, in the age of online reviews, hotels need to ensure they exceed expectations. One way to do this is to avoid trumpeting about accolades which set expectations above what they are realistically able to meet.

We had a Vista Cottage, with an awesome view of the red rocks and a huge balcony with a dining set and deck chairs. Some reviews complained about the view, so it is important to note that the view differs between room types; you could be looking at red rocks, the creek or something more unsightly, so book accordingly. We had a huge bathroom with an outdoor shower and a spa tub that also shared the view.

We had a lot of interaction with the valets, since the car had to be valet parked and we needed it frequently to get around (many businesses are a short drive, but long hike away). They were great and super efficient and helpful, and kinda worth the mandatory gratuity.

We also took the advice of other reviewers and tried the creekside breakfast. That was pleasant enough, though the combination of price and food quality did not justify a repeat visit.

Altogether, not too bad.

There were a few issues though - that should not exist in a top 100 hotel and thus the average rating of only three green dots:

1) Everything about the bed was unprofessional. It was old - way too soft and wobbly. It would rock side to side whenever my husband got in or out, and I felt like I was lying on a slope inclined towards his weight. The pillows were unhygenic as the pillowcases gaped in the middle exposing the pillow itself! Also, modern hotels no longer have anything non-white (eg. throw pillows, runners) on the bed that isn't laundered between guests, but this one had it all, including white square pillows we THOUGHT were laundered but only after getting turndown service on the last evening realized weren't (they were removed during turndown), and we had been putting our faces on them to sleep on earlier nights when we'd not used turndown service - ugghhh! And the bed was also made very sloppily by housekeeping - the pillows looked like they had been tossed onto the bed from a distance and no attempt had been made to smooth out the duvet. On this last point, I can deal with it if it's my own bed at home, but not a top 100 hotel bed.

2) Housekeeping didn't replenish shampoos. Am sure the valets would have quickly rushed up a bottle at my request but one only discovers such things after having already stripped down.

3) The worst part - the internet bandwidth was terrible. The internet is still usable during the day, but in the evenings it ceased to function. This was highly inconvenient and unhelpful for researching and planning our excursions for the next day. I wrote this in another review - INTERNET IS LIKE WATER. Just because many people are using it at the same time is not a valid excuse for it to be insufficient.

4) I was looking forward to jumping into the pool after getting back to the hotel early one afternoon but it was tiny and fenced up and not enticing at all, so I passed. Again, not a top 100 pool at all.

My recommendation to the management is: remove the long list of accolades from all marketing materials and forget about them. Then, treat yourself - fly to Bali and spend a night at each of the top 3, 5, or 10 resorts there. Ensure the L'Auberge experience is on par with any of those resorts. And then, let the internet reviewers comment away.

Room Tip: decide what you want to look at (rocks, creek, nothing) and book accordingly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nitpicker011
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the red rock view from your Vista Suite including the deck, the outdoor shower and the bathroom. Many of the accolades that we strive for and post are from guests voting or their personal reviews. For example, our TripAdvisor rating is based off past guest reviews and we are very honored to be reviewed as one of the top properties in Sedona. That being said, we know that there is always room for improvement and the points that you listed will help us improve. I would be happy to speak with you personally to ensure that we do take our guest reviews seriously. - Jesse Alexander, General Manager, 928-204-4313
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2014

L'Auberge is a gorgeous property nestled in Sedona by a creek.Very charming setting! Fantastic service along with beautiful and comfortable rooms. Convenient location in Sedona. Stayed in the Vista Suite which had amazing view of the Red Rocks. It was a perfect room for my husband and 13 year old. Would certainly go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and review. We're happy to hear that the Vista Suite was a hit with your family. We'll see you next time you're in Sedona!
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I have visited Sedona several times as his mother lives nearby. This was our 2nd stay at L'Auberge this time in a Spa Cottage. I was there for 5 nights, 3 of those days by myself since my husband went to Supai hiking with friends for 2 nights. Never once did I feel uncomfortable being alone. The cottage was fantastic, quiet, spacious, and well located. Since I was left without a vehicle, the valets were always available to take me to the top of the hill anytime I needed, and I was within walking distance of anything that I needed. I loved spending time by the creek in a swing mornings and afternoons-so relaxing. There were several weddings there during our stay, but not once did they interfere with my day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CeciliaF991
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We appreciate your continued support of L'Auberge and happy that your second stay was enjoyable! Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back next time!