“Helped Wth Privacy Issue”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
West Virginia
“Helped Wth Privacy Issue”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Checked in to beautiful spa room, only to find it was ground level and nearly surrounded by sidewalks within the resort. Staff and guests could (and did) easily look in. I am not modest, but I am sure I scared a few people before I realized that ALL the shades had to be ALL the way down. Reception staff were very helpful. They moved me to a more private room, and even came out to check the new location with me.

Management should address the site lines in #63. Perhaps some form of privacy glazing could be installed in the side windows.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ascrrc53
GregVelasquez, Director of Sales at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at L'Auberge de Sedona with the TripAdvisor community. We are addressing your concerns regarding the cottage site lines with our landscaping and engineering teams.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sedona!

Greg Velasquez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My wife and I were married at L'Auberge de Sedona on the last weekend of April 2010. The scenery was amazing and the food was great but far and away the best aspect of having our big day at L'Auberge was the amazing people that made every little detail their highest priority. From special ordering my mother's favorite beer for the reception to changing the type of bread an appetizer was served on to providing golf cart rides for grandparents everything that we could have wanted was provided by smiling and courteous people. The day was magnificent and literally nothing went wrong which I fully believe is due to the amazing staff at L'Auberge. I literally could not give them a stronger recommendation for any event that you could be planning.

California
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We stayed at l'Auberge de Sedona for three nights. I don't think we've ever been happier with a hotel. We stayed in a garden cottage which was large and well-appointed: king bed, wood-burning fireplace, private outdoor shower connected to the full bath, coffee maker in room, complementary pastries and coffee in the lodge each morning. The setting next to the creek is simply beautiful. We ate dinner two nights and lunch one day in their restaurant and thought the food was wonderful. The highlight of the meals, however, was the setting - right by beautiful Oak Creek, watching a great blue heron, ducks, and finches while enjoying fine dining. It couldn't be more peaceful. The hotel service was impeccable - very warm and welcoming. It is right next to downtown Sedona which is very touristy, but we didn't even walk down the main street. One of the three days we took a private tour (FIrst Class Tours) to the Grand Canyon. It was a long day, but an easy way to visit the Canyon. The hotel adds a 10% service fee added each day which covers all tipping except in the restaurant. Can't recommend this enough.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 4 May 2010

The resort does not measure up to its description or reputation. Value to price is poor and overall it is overpriced. The owners are adding additional units (cottages) onto an already congested property. The resort advertises creekside ambiance (necessary as there are few if any views of beautiful Sedona red rock country), yet few units border the creek. The views from the newer "spa" cottages are of the sides/backs of the neighboring units. Construction was underway from early am until evening during my stay, with noise, crews moving about the "serene" retreat. This was not relayed to me when I called to talk over the room options and dates. The spa also lacks views, although the pricey spa treatments were excellent. The restaurant was quite pricey (again price to value poor) and I had to laugh as it was not savvy to solo travelers --- I was shown to an inferior table at the edge of the room and had to point out a preferred available table. Then I was asked if I would like reading material! Train your staff - solo travelers are a notable demographic, expecting the same level of comfort, treatment as couples/groups. With that exception I would give the overall staff at the resort a very high rating.

Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank kamac1
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I not a guy to make a review but I think people should know what they are paying for. Nice clean place to stay, but it's like a 4 star YMCA summer camp. Just a bunch of cabins crammed together with very little privacy. We rented a creekside cottage it was over $1200 for 2 nights. The way your front deck is layed out your looking right at your neighbors. Not at all what I expected. Put it this way I what to propose to my girlfriend there and I did not. So much for one of the most romantic resorts.
Also the maid service was lame very little effort in cleaning our cottage,
I tried to ask questions before I booked via e mail and got very little, sometimes no help.
On a positive note the have a no tipping policy and free cheese and wine every afternnon.
Bottom line wont wasted big money on this place again,

2 Thank Socallowboy
Houston, TX
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I was looking for a special place to celebrate a milestone birthday and looked at different states to go but settled on Sedona, AZ. I reviewed different hotels and decided that the L'Auberge looked good. Because this is a special occasion we decided to splurge and get a cottage - it was much more than I wanted to spend but when I called to make the reservation the agent asked her manager if we could get a better rate and she quoted me a price that was still high but less than the original rate so I booked it.

I started to get nervous before we got here because the rate was high and I wanted to make sure that this was 'the' place I wanted to spend my birthday. I hit their website about a week ago (too late to cancel my reservations) and noticed that the cottage we booked was going for $10 more than our 'special' rate! Not good.

When we checked in last night I mentioned this to Becka the 'concierge' that checked us in and she stated 'Oh, our rates fluctuate'! At this point I was feeling my mood fluctuate and it wasn't good. She could have handled it better but clearly she doesn't know about customer service. Off we go to this 'garden cottage' - there wasn't a garden even close to it! From the side the deck overlooked the back of the restaurant and all the excess boxes, trash and extra furniture. The view from the front of the deck and the bedroom room looked at the entrance to the restaurant. We could see people coming, going and sitting on the restaurant patio. I was not pleased at all. On a positive note, the hotel left a bottle of champagne and strawberries for us. The room was very nice but I felt that our privacy was compromised. The window coverings consisted of 4 flimsy panels that barely covered the windows - not comforting when the windows overlooked the restaurant entrance.

This morning I asked to speak to someone about my dissatisfaction with the room and a nice young man at the desk suggested that he could help me. He was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in making things right. He offered give us a 'complimentary' upgrade to a secluded cottage further down the path - he gave me the room number and circled it on the property map. He asked how soon we would be ready to move and I told him we could do it in half an hour. I called him in half an hour to let him know we were ready to move - He apologized and told me that house keeping hadn't finished with the room and it would be ready after breakfast. We waited for an hour or so and checked in with him to be told it would be the next one cleaned. We decided to walk down and check the cottage out and I was very pleased with the location and started feeling better about the place. We decided that we would drive to the Grand Canyon and check out the new room when we returned.

We returned this evening around 7PM and the woman at the front desk was helping another guest so my husband suggested that I walk down to the cottage and wait on the deck while he got the key. I headed out to the room and thought I was there but accidently walked up to the wrong cottage, I surprised a woman sitting on the deck in her robe, it was most embarrassing! She asked which place I was looking for and I told her, she then stated that there were people in that cottage! I thanked her and started to fume! What kind of outfit are they running here? I walked all the way back to the lodge to try and find my husband, luggage and our room. My husband wasn't there but Ryan at the front told me that he had moved us about an hour and a half ago to cottage #4. I explained that Matt had moved us early this morning to cottage #7. His reply was that #7 had been booked weeks ago. This place has no sense of customer service. I am now in cottage #4, the room has an odor and when we went outside to enjoy the deck the neighbors were out on theirs, smoking cigars!!!!

I will never come back here. I suggest that anyone else that wants to spend a healthy amount on a room/cottage and expect service to match it go elsewhere. I should have paid attention to a review that a gentleman made on trip advisor about a month ago - I would have cancelled my reservation before the cut off date. Unfortunately we are here one more night, on my birthday. What a huge disappointment.

15 Thank flygirl_7
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This hotel was top notch from the moment you arrived. You were met as you exited your car and didn't have to lift a finger from that point on. The hotel staff gave you complete attention and were friendly and helpful. The wine and beer tasting each evening was a nice touch. Personal shuttle service to the main road was a wonderful convenience.
We were upgraded to one of the new spa cottages and found it to be beautiful, comfortable and tasteful with a fabulous outdoor shower and a bed that made you feel as if you were sleeping on a cloud. Don't miss the Sunday brunch served by beautiful Oak Creek! This place was #1

2 Thank jh_ra