“Overpriced”

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Crofton, Maryland
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I knew that this hotel was not in the actual town of Sedona which was fine with me. It's in Oak Creek which is about 15-20 minutes from the shops in Sedona. It is close to several of the more popular trail heads such as Bell Rock Pathway and Cathedral Rock which is very convenient.

Aside from the accessibility of the trail heads, I was disappointed our choice of hotel for the night. The room itself was big enough - the bathroom was huge! But as others have pointed out, the room is dark and ours had a view of the parking lot. When I asked at check in if we could have a room with a view, the clerk told me that all the studios had views of the parking lot. What a shame in a place like Sedona!

There is a resort fee of just over $10 which basically is for WiFi. Hard to believe that anyone charges for that anymore. If I had to do it over again, I would choose a different hotel with free WiFi, and a window that looked out on more than just my car for that price.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Overall, this was a nice place. It is in Oak Creek, as opposed to the "heart" of Sedona, but I knew that when I booked the reservation and prefer being a bit removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown Sedona (which is NOT that far away). The room I booked was a Studio. It had a very nice and well stocked (dishes, etc.) kitchen (See photo). There was a very comfortable sleeper couch (which my niece slept on) and a very nice, King size bed (See photo). There was even a very nice t.v. (with lots of good channels) and DVD player in the room (with a large selection of movies available for check out at the registration building). The room was clean and in relatively good condition. There are 2 very nice pools that have fun things for the kids and 2 hot tubs; one that is down a set of stairs with no signs pointing to it...so, it is often empty! At the bottom of each building there is also a very nice gas grill and table. So, in general, I liked this place. However, there a few minor things I would like to note in case you book based on my review:

1. If you book the Studio, be aware that there is a rather thin door(s) separating you and the adjoining, larger room. Hence, you can hear EVERYTHING that the people say and do in the next room. I literally heard them dropping ice cubes into glasses!

2. This is a "time share" facility. So, they will push quite often and hard for you to sit through a brief 90 minute presentation in exchange for something like a free Sedona Jeep tour, etc. If you have the time and want the reward, then I say "go for it." However, you can also simply say no, like I did, but be prepared to be asked EVERY time you visit the Concierge.

3. The place is geared to the "time share" clients, so be prepared for no room services except for a mid-week cleaning. Hence, you should plan on tidying up your own room, taking out your own garbage (they give you very small pales), and making a list a trip or two to the Registration area for additional coffee (they only give you one in the room), shampoo (also only 1 tiny bottle), and conditioner (also only 1 tiny bottle).

2 Thank Dlit99
Invermere, BC
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The resort is the first place you come to in Oak Creek, so its pretty easy to find. I stayed in a studio which was average. It was roomy enough for one person, but the only windows looking outside was a small kitchen window, and the patio door which looked out on the parking lot. It was shaded and did not let in much light. The studio felt dark with such little light.
Overall the studio was clean, except for the carpet which was extremely dirty and stained. It was quite disgusting actually. The couch had a bad smell to it, so I rarely sat on it. The kitchen was efficient and well stocked and had everything I needed. The bed was average, but the sheets were very nice quality.
I attended two evening activities, which were enjoyable. I would recommend checking out the activities, as they offer a fairly good selection.
Front desk staff were friendly, prompt, and helpful. I would probably return to this resort, although I would not rent a studio again due to it lacking light and views. Sedona is a beautiful area, and well worth a visit!!!

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the newer phase, and check to see if you will have a view. The studios tend to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank marlene-mackena
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a great resort and wonderful rooms. Very clean, very well maintained, with excellent up-to-date appliances and furniture. Everything is very well placed and the staff are very pleasant. I would definitely stay here again. Free Wi-Fi too. Ask for a room on the second floor to avoid noise over your head as well as something close to a pool. They have a few of them. The only two drawbacks are: downtown sedona are about 20-25 minutes away and avoid the sales pitch. They will offer you tons to get you to go to a "90" minute presentation and after 3-5 hours you finally get to leave feeling beat up and then you're treatment goes from one of royalty to that of a vagrant.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank AMahoney1500
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked a one-bedroom unit here for my family vacation. I booked it through vrbo.com because I had read the trip advisor reviews about the time-share presentation and thought that we would be able to avoid the Diamond Resort membership speech if I booked it this way. It didn't quite happen that way, but we still were able to avoid the presentation by not picking up our "welcome packet". We're not interested in time-sharing vacations, and I'm definitely not interested in giving up any of my vacation time for a hard core sales pitch. We found out during our trip that the presentation is an hour and a half and I really didn't want to deal with that.

The unit was well appointed and the beds were incredibly comfortable. We cooked on the outdoor grill several times, and found it to be better than ours at home. The kitchen had most of what we needed for our week's stay....utensils, pots and pans, etc. I'd recommend going to the grocery on the first day of your stay and buy small quantities because you're likely to end up with stuff left at the end of the week. Housekeeping came once in our week's stay and that was fine.

There are 2 pools there, although we only went to one of them. The property has lots of hills, so it's a hike up to the pool deck. Our last day there, a kid had an accident in the pool and a maintenance man came to remove "it" but didn't immediately tell any of the guests about it. Another guest had to tell my kids to get out of the pool because she'd seen what had happened. The maintenance guy left to get chemicals to shock the pool without telling anyone what he was doing or closing the pool, so the other guest ended up having to warn anyone who came to the pool while he was gone. It was ridiculous, especially since there was a kid's activity going on at the pool at the time and there were Diamond Resort employees standing next to the pool as this was all happening. It was gross, and my teenagers immediately returned to the room and showered. Good thing our unit had a washer and dryer, because I washed their bathing suits and towels as soon as we got back to the room.

Aside from the pool incident, and worrying over a high-pressure sales pitch that we avoided, we enjoyed our stay. The location was convenient, the unit was clean and comfortable, and the people we met were all nice.

2 Thank Nancy L
Muscatine, IA
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked this through RCI at the last minute and were truely suprised. Our 2 bedroom unit was spacious, well laid out with stunning views of the area We had a full kitchen, two balconies, everything you needed for a great stay. They will probably try to sell you a Diamaond Resort Membership but even that presentation was interesting. Concierge service was excellent.

Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this condo last minute through Priceline and paid $85/nt. we had a studio for just two of us, the bed was very comfortable, the size of the room was perfect for us. It was helpful to have a large fridge and some kitchenware. The coffee maker is a joke, just go to the lobby, they had good coffee there for free. Since we were there to hike the location of the place was great...close to a lot of trailheads. The pools were nice and everything seemed clean.
The only con I had is that when we checked in I was told that none of the studio rooms have views..ok, I get that. Well, a couple of hours later, two men in the 1 bedroom next to us decided to have a very loud and physical fight and the police were called. We asked if we could be moved since they were not leaving anytime soon, they obliged..and wouldn't you know it..we got a new studio room with a beautiful view....hmm, I think someone was not being truthful to me...
Overall, I think this is a good value condo if you get it for the right price. I also trade with Interval and checked when i got home..they had this place listed for the week for $350/wk so I still think we overpaid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple