“If you don't buy their timeshare, they ignore you”

Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Tucson, AZ
“If you don't buy their timeshare, they ignore you”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

The place is OK, nothing spectacular. It is about 20 minutes drive from Sedona, it's not in the town.

Rooms are so so, mostly outdated and are very tiny. Rooms mostly provide a cheap feeling, especially since studio has the single door connects two units. You can hear others in the other room, so be prepared.

Also be prepared for a pressure to buy or listen to their timeshare presentation at check in (takes 30-40 minutes just to get they key). If you buy it, they're nice. If you say no, they ignore you. No service, no welcome, nothing. We travel to Sedona quite often and to be honest, staying at other places was far better experience than at this motel-feel-like place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank dreys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Be aware this property is not a 'hotel' as one would normally be defined. This is a timeshare that sells its unused units. When you arrive, the lobby looks like a timeshare marketing facility and you are treated with the typical timeshare sales pitch.

The property itself is spread out and quite nice until you get into your room.

We were assigned two rooms (the first was not made up by hotel staff) and the second had two cockroaches and a black widow spider web in the corner of the closet. The wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off the walls. As prior reviews have pointed out, the walls between enjoining units were seperated by a door and you could hear every word uttered by your neighbor. After about an hour, my wife and I agreed that this place was not for us and we checked out and went home as we live only two hours away.

I travel about 15-20 times per year and can honestly say that this was the worst hotel I have been to since I was a poor college student. I have never left a hotel early.

On a side note, the italian restaurant nearby, Cucina Rustica, is very good. Nice atmosphere and food.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BusinessOverseas
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Full disclosure: I am a Diamond owner (in Kauai) and used points to stay here, rather than booking through, say, Hotels.com or Priceline. We stayed in a renovated 2 bedroom, and "renovated" studio units DO have a cooktop and microwave (a previous reviewer noted theirs did not) and dishwasher. The renovation process is scheduled to be completed in two years, I think. There are BBQs available as well.

The renovated units are beautifully appointed: all new furniture, flat screen tvs, new appliances, bathroom fixtures, fireplace, granite countertops, etc. Beds are Simmons Beautyrest: very comfortable.

I did not have a view from my room, and that was a minor disappointment, because the surrounding area is spectacular. Of course, a short walk provides those views, but I'd have liked it from my patio. Some units have great views, others do not.

The golf course adjacent to the resort is not to be missed if you are a golfer. No course I have played matches the views this course provides. (A cart is a "must" as the distance between green and tees can sometimes be lengthy.) The course itself is in great shape, esp for July. It is an interesting, "fair" and challenging course. When I return, I will play it again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cdth
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

We just stayed a week at Ridge on Sedona Golf. I was concerned at the poor reviews, but we went anyway. Boy were we pleased! We took 3 units, the one bedroom and 2 studios. They were clean, beautiful red rock views on a wonderful golf course, the units were large, even the studios.The resort is in the process of remodeling, we were in a unit not yet remodeled, but it was nice. We did see the remodeled and wow! really really posh.The resort has 2 pools and 3 hot tubs, gas grills with views, on-sight fitness, wow... I just don't understand the poor reviews. This is a time share; Daily housekeeping is not offered in timeshares, but this place did have housekeeping on Wednesday which was a pleasant surprise. Our gal was named Rebbecca...she was so nice and sweet. She even hung a blanket underneath the vertical blinds in the master bedroom to keep the sun from shining in my eyes at 5:30 am. The front desk was polite, check- in was quick...We went there fearing the worst and were pleasantly and totally accommodated. We will return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandyloucita
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

We traded our 2 Bedroom in Kona (luxurious) for a studio in Sedona. I sure wish I would have known there was no stove in the studio, as we would have just gone to a motel and used our week to trade for a better place. We like to do some cooking while on vacation. Not this time.
The studio was clean, albeit without much of a view, and kinda dark. Service was swell, except for the high pressure pitch on our arrival for us to attend a timeshare presentation. We did attend, and used the gift to ride the Verde Canyon train. (pretty nice.)

I firmly believe they leave the stove out of the unit so if you trade using RCI you will feel ripped off. At the timeshare presentation, we learned about how points work and how foolish it is to not be on a point system, which would have been the better way to trade.

Sedona is a great place to visit, so we did not spend a lot of time in our unit, which felt like a motel room more than a luxurious apartment.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank theBillster
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

I got a great price for a week stay, but other than that there was nothing "great" about our stay. I told them when I checked in that I have to work while here and would love a great view. Room 1202 overlooks the maintance area. Not bad, but I was not heard at all. The rooms are large and clean. Staff did their job but nothing more. I may be spoiled by Marriotts. If you are going sight seeing and spending time in Sedona and Flaggstaff the location is good and you will be fine with resort.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

We would recommend the Ridge on Sedona as we were very satisfied with the location. We were in building 11 which has not been renovated but was very, very clean! We had a full sized fridge, toaster and large microwave. The coffee maker gave us a problem though...it should come with directions!!! The room had an adjoining door to the neighbouring unit. The guests there woke us one night but other than that we did not hear them. The whole complex was quiet, clean and the staff were very nice. The check-in was smooth and we didn't get a hard sell on the time share. We declined the offer of 75.00 towards a local restaurant and had no other pressure. Nicole at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The pool area was clean and had great views of the Red Rocks. We would certainly go back another time for the 75.00 we paid on Priceline, it was worth every cent!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple