“Nice, but watch out for what unit you get!”
Review of Junipine Resort

Junipine Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Junipine for 2 nights just recently and I have read most reviews for this accommodation. We checked in Sunday afternoon, and the lady at the desk to me that there is a diner onsite, however it's closed Sundays and Mondays. Bummer! If you don't mind driving into town, which is about a 15-20 minute drive, then you will need to go there if you want a bite to eat, coffee, desert, etc. However one of the good things about this place is you can get your own groceries and make your own food since the units have full kitchens. We didn't utilize that because of our quick two night stay.
So, as I was checking in, the lady at the desk told me that our room would be Unit 12. I've haven't heard anything about this unit on the previous reviews, but I was gonna give it a try. In the back of my mind, I was thinking she might get me in the most oldest, not updated unit there was since I booked through Expedia travel. I was giving her the benefit of doubt. As I opened the door of the room, my NIGHTMARE can true. Just like the gentlemen before me on the reviews, this one is NOT updated. The kitchen countertops, cabinets, lightings, bathroom, and the nooks and corners we worn and gross. For about $200.00/ per night, I expect much more than this. I went back to the office with the keys and told her this will not work, and asked for a better room or a refund. My spouse and I traveled a very long distance, we were tired from the drive and did not want to SETTLE for something sub par from our expectations. She gave us the keys to Unit 33, and that one was much better. Updated granite countertops, nicer furniture, a more like home away from home feel. This Unit DOES NOT have a jucuzzi in it. I wasn't happy with it, but at least I was satisfied.
The lady at the front desk told me that jacuzzi are not available through Expedia. I wish I had known that, otherwise I would have booked directly through their website. I would've had no problem with that arrangement. Lesson learned. If there's a hotel that you like on any other travel sites, you might wanna find out from the hotel itself if there may be anything different as to what you getting versus booking directly through them. That was not clearly stated.
The Unit is okay, but I wish they provided more complimentaries, like a welcome appreciation letter, or candies, bottle of wine, something that tells me they we are appreciated as guests. I guess that is all. In the office, I saw a plaque showed they are recognized by Tripadvisor as one of the best hotels here in Sedona. It's great and all, but I think could be a whole lot better in my opinion. I surely hope that their hard work to achieve that award will not give them an excuse to become complacent.

Room Tip: Ask what units are updated. You are paying the same price as the ones not updated
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kato1978

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just came back from staying at Junipine (3/16/12). The resort is beautifully located next to wonderful Oak Creek. We stayed in #37. It was fantastic! A wood fireplace with a fire all laid and ready to set a match to. The beds are amazing and the master shower is simply spectacular. We were going to go back to Sedona for dinner because we arrived late, but when we walked in we immediately decided to order room service from the restaurant next door (which was simply grand!). We had to stay and luxuriate in this fantastic unit in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: #37 is wonderful! 2 bedroom and a beautiful loft- a spiral staircase leads to it, not good for small...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed for one night in Junipine resorts in early March. It is located very close to slide rock state park and was easy to find. The lady at the front desk was helpful and we loved the cabin that we got! The cabin was highly upgraded. The Kitchen has all the latest amenities and granite countertops! The patio was huge! and we could see the oak creek from the patio. Access to oak creek was right behind the property which was very nice. There is also a trail behind the property that we hiked along oak creek. Overall a very relaxing weekend. I would highly recommend staying at Junipine.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Junipine Resort and were mostly happy with it. I had read reviews about the creek houses being in different states of repair and remodel so I requested an updated house. We were given unit 26, which is a creek view. We had requested a forest view room, so this was a nice upgrade.
I will start with the positive - The people who work at the Junipine are extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and it is in a great spot on Oak Creek Canyon. We would consider staying there again someday. It was very nice to have a full condo instead of a hotel room. We were able to make breakfast in our house and enjoy coffee on the deck overlooking the creek. We loved having a fireplace in our bedroom as well as the living room. We had lots of privacy and quiet time and it was fantastic. We enjoyed watching movies from the DVD library in the lobby - a nice perk!
Ok, now for the not so good stuff. Unit 26 is not updated in my opinion. The kitchen and bathroom cabinets are old (probably original) and not in great shape. The bathroom is missing baseboards and looks a little strange. The kitchen counter tops are old and a bit dingy. The furnishings were nothing special. This was a bummer because the price you pay for a room is the same no matter if you get a non-updated one like we did, or a unit with new and fancy stuff.
We had some stained (hopefully stained and not dirty) towels in the bathroom and the kitchen linens were in bad shape (I would have put them out in the garage for rags).
I think it hit home when we went to check out and saw a flier for a creekhouse which is currently for sale. It is unit 33 and looks to be very updated and nice with granite countertops and a really nice shower which has all been redone recently. I thought, why did we pay the same for this room as we would have for one that looks like that inside?! I really think each house should be priced according to the level of update it has. Even if we pad the same for the one we stayed in, it would be nice to know that the fancy one was more expensive because of the upgrades. (Unit 33 and 26 are NOT priced the same because 33 has a hot tub - I am just using it as an example of how some interiors are updated and others are not).
Overall we would consider staying there again, but would really really like to be able to reserve a specific house.

Room Tip: Creek house 26 is not updated.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Sandy et al were great. Very nice service but expensive gift shop. Be careful traveling to the site as the road is narrow.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you are planning a stay in Sedona but, as you will come to realize, you need a break from the swarms of tourists in the city, the Junipine is about the best remedy one could hope for. Although it is located immediately next to Route 89 up Oak Creek Canyon (the road to Flagstaff), it is quite quiet, with little to no road noise (all the spaces face away from the road, and some are creek-side). We stayed in a "forest view" unit, which was excellent. Although I was expecting a typical hotel room (I did no research before booking), I was instead totally amazed by a wonderfully layed-out and well appointed townhome - with a full Kitchen (granite counters), a large great room (with working fireplace and skylights), and a master suite with two vanities (his and hers). Both the bedroom and the great room had large sliding glass doors accessing a large deck replete with patio furniture. And very private! Our unit was No.33 - and I understand each unit is individually owned and decorated. I can vouch for 33 - really nice. Tasteful and stylish.

The resort gives you a load of firewood a day (more than we used by far), and coffee, and has full housekeeping (which we did not use). You can saunter over to the cafe for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or even have meals delivered to your room (for a very reasonable fee). We enjoyed breakfast, lunch, and had breakfast delivered - all excellent. I understand their dining room is well rated for dinner. They have an extensive DVD collection, a friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff, and the entire property is very well maintained.

Junipine is located well north of Sedona, but not so far as to be too "inconvenient." It is, rather, in good proximity to Flagstaff, making it a great spot to access both communities. And one treat: driving into town near dusk presents you with some fantastically sun-lit views of the monolithic stone spires for which Sedona is famous.

Room Tip: It seems like all the townhomes are quiet - I had 33 and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This resort is about a 15 minute ride North of Sedona in beautiful Oak Creek Canyon. The scenery is impecable! Looking off of our spacous back deck, there are stunning canyon walls and down below, is Oak Creek. I could have spent a whole day just gazing off the deck if there weren't so many good hiking trails around. When the night got cold, having a real wood fire in the fireplace was a great experience. They supply firewood every day. The rooms are very spacious and luxurious, equiped with good coffee makers and full supplies in the kitchen. The restaurant has some very good food and is reasonably priced. My only gripe was the towels supplied could have been a little softer and plush.

Room Tip: It looks like every room had an equally beautiful view. The higher numbered rooms will be furthest...