“Excellent Accommodation & Solitude”
Review of Junipine Resort

Junipine Resort
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Excellent Accommodation & Solitude”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

A return visit for my wife and me. This time, creek side in Unit 10. This unit is very spacious and was recently updated with an entirely new kitchen.....new appliances and counters. Wood burning fireplaces in the living room and bedroom made the evenings very comfortable.
It is so nice to stay in Sedona in the "slow season". The solitude at Junipine was outstanding with the only sound coming from Oak Creek just a few feet away from our unit. A hiking trail is available right over the bridge.
We did make the mistake of not calling housekeeping after our first night. If you don't call you do not get new towels, trash pick up. We got all of the items covered on our return at 7:00 PM.
I would HIGHLY recommend!!

Room Tip: Creek view is more expensive
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BRUCEfmMKE
junipine, General Manager at Junipine Resort, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear BrokenAMKE,

Thank you for your repeat patronage. We love #10, as it was recently remodeled, and it offers a great view with solitude that many of our guests appreciate. There are some other creekhouses I would love to show you during your next visit. Please let me know if you would like to take a few minutes for a property tour.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This place is a great value, especially for families and people who want to avoid the relative hustle and bustle of Sedona proper. The rooms are ample and the areas surrounding the hotel and the town are stunningly gorgeous and not to be missed. The town itself is another story - a bit cheesy, like a Disney-fied version of a spiritual retreat, a small price to pay for the vortex and all its glory.

Junipine is nestled in the canyon north of Sedona. The drive from the north and south into town is fantastic, and the location lends itself a charming, rustic feeling. The campus is spread out and there's a little too much asphalt for my liking, hence the four stars. Given the setting, a slightly different layout would maximize the coziness, an opportunity missed.

Our room was decorated in a wonderfully kitschy cabin retro style. The space was ample (two stories! Lofted ceilings!), the porch was a nice addition (but with a view of asphalt, we only really used it at night to see the stars), and the fireplace stocked with juniper was a special bonus.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. The restaurant left a little to be desired at breakfast, a bit of a summer camp feel to it, but I suppose that was consistent with the kitsch that we otherwise enjoyed.

All in all, a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Beetlebath,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, and that our staff did their job to make sure you were well taken care of. We are in the early stages of remodeling our restaurant, and I’m sure that the next time you return we’ll have made some changes that you will enhance your stay. Thank you for visiting.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 February 2014

If I could, I would give Junipine Resort 2.5 stars.

Junipine Resort is a development of approximately 50 individually-owned condos that are rented on a nightly basis when the respective owners are not occupying them. As such, there likely is greater variation in units than one finds in a single-owner hotel or resort. This could lead to some disappointment. The particular unit we occupied – 44 – was, however, spacious and reasonably well-appointed.

Junipine is located approximately 8 miles up Oak Creek Canyon from Uptown Sedona. There is heavy vegetation in this area; while we found this pleasant, you may only have peaks at the canyon walls and of Oak Creek from your unit.

Now, the negatives. Junipine advertises free WiFi; we found, as other reviewers have noted, that none of our devices could connect inside the unit and even at the resort office, we found the signal sporadic; this is a more serious defect given that there is very weak or non-existent cell service in that part of Oak Creek Canyon (while Sedona is a place for vacation, sometimes, even on vacation, you need to be connected to the rest of the world, and unfortunately and unexpectedly, we found that to be the case while we were at Junipine). The handout provided at check-in contains the following: “walls provide a visual shield but not a sound barrier to neighboring guests”; Junipine was not fully occupied during our stay, so we didn’t get a test of just how poor unit to unit sound insulation at this resort is, but it is concerning that management feels the need to warn about sound transmission. Also, while it was not a concern for us in February, the units (at least unit 44 and presumably the rest) are not air conditioned; the instructions for unit 44 indicated that if one left the windows and doors open and operated the roof exhaust fan and ceiling fans, the unit should maintain a temperature of 76 to 82; 82 seems uncomfortably warm! Finally, while Junipine provides free towels, paper products, firewood, etc., daily upon request, if you want housekeeping services during your stay, it is $25 a day.

On our next trip to Sedona (and there will be a next trip – it is a great area for hiking, mountain biking, photography, and nature!), we will look for another place to stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MostlyHarmless2013
junipine, General Manager at Junipine Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. I’m glad to hear that you found your creekhouse to be spacious and well-appointed. While cell service is difficult to get in Oak Creek Canyon, the Wi-Fi should have worked without issue and I apologize that it didn’t. I did not received any other feedback concerning the Wi-Fi during your stay so I’m not sure what the issue was but I will be happy to look into it. The information in our handout does not pertain to the interior connecting walls. It is referencing the outdoor privacy walls in between each deck, which are staggered for privacy. For the most part our creekhouses stay comfortable during the summer months as there is considerable shade and the evenings and nights are fairly cool. Thanks for staying with us and I hope you will reconsider staying with again when you return to Sedona.
NC
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed one night on a trip starting in Phoenix and ending in Las Vegas, while traveling through Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon. We stayed in unit 15 and it was absolutely the perfect place for us on our winter trip through northern Arizona. Beautiful unit, more room than we could ever need, quiet, beautiful setting in the canyon, and a great staff. We had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. For us, Junipine ranks as one of our TOP 3 stays anywhere. We will go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JBStravels
Thank you! We love creekhouse #15. It’s spacious, well-appointed, and conveniently located. I’ll pass your comments on to our staff.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My BF and I booked this stay a month ago and based on previous reviews I knew to ask for an updated room, so I called and they assured me i would have a remodeled room, when I arrived I asked the same request and again was assured it was an updated room, however it was only semi updated. The counters and some of the appliances, as well as the bathroom counters had been updated. However it has old furniture for example the couch smelled and is thread bare on the cushions. The bed was not comfy and the sheets had a weird smell as well. If you're looking for a great location outside of Sedona and have a big family to cook for this is a great place as the provide almost all the kitchen amenities you could ask for, and the peacefulness of the grounds was a huge plus the staff was also very friendly.if your looking to be close to town and want something more modern I don't recommend the Junipine Resort.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Unfortunately, I have not been able to reach you through Tripadvisor to address your concerns. Regardless, we fell short of your expectations. We always encourage guests to book direct with us versus Expedia and other online travel agents as you have the opportunity to express specific needs and expectations via phone or in the comments section on our website booking page. We can even send you photos in advance of your stay so that you will feel comfortable with your confirmed accommodations. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to get you back with us at Junipine soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Sure feels like home and it has been a great stay. Weather perfect for hiking as it is cold when you start and all your jackets are off when you are done. Exciting news about refresh of the Cafe-eager to see updated menu and wine list. My unit was perfectly clean, comfortable and the wood burning fireplace made it so cozy today when it snowed...the staff could not be more hospitable and welcoming. After the Super Bowl got so bad, I borrowed the front desk's DVDs of Downton Abby and went into a happy PBS coma. BTW new TV service is sooo much better. Come see all the improvements here in the Canyon. I WILL be back...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
We are looking forward to seeing you again soon, and showing you our new menus and possibly the next season of Downton Abby for your DVD player ;)
Bridgeville, Delaware
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was recently in Sedona and stayed at the Junipine Resort in unit 36. This is a larger end unit.

Junipine sits in Oak Creek Canyon about 7 miles north of Sedona. It is a nice drive and affords you a lot of peaceful evenings after climbing, shopping or sightseeing in Sedona. Driving through the canyon twice a day gave us the opportunity to see the changes in the canyon wall depending upon the location of the sun.

This unit has a very nice view of the canyon from the deck as well as the dining room. I loved the mirror in the living/dining area that you can see the canyon wherever you sit!!
The unit was very comfortable with new, upscale furniture and decorations. Beds super comfy. Ditto for the pillows. There were a generous 6 of them on the king bed in the master bedroom!!
Since the weather was cold most of the week, we enjoyed the large stone fireplace to add warmth as well as ambiance to our stay.
The unit has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths downstairs and a charming loft accessed by a circular stairway. I think this opens up the room since the stairs are tucked in the corner near the galley kitchen. It appears the unit can easily sleep 6-8 since there are 2 single beds in the loft, 2 queen beds in the second bedroom and the king in the master bedroom (with a marvelous shower that has a nice rain-fall shower-head).
I highly recommend Junipine's unit 36. Hopefully I will go back and stay there again. There is so much to do and see in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
I think that you have done a better job describing Creekhouse #36 than we ever have! Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.