“Spiritually renewing”

Mii amo, a destination spa
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband got me a massage at Mii amo as a way to wind down before heading home from a trip out west which began the day the government shut down all national parks. Obviously, our plans to see Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon all moved to Plan B. I can say that the massage and other things I did at the spa were memorable and more than made up for the things that were jinxed on our plan. My masseuse had the gift of healing in her hands. I have a foot that was damaged in an accident 20 years ago which she was able to bring relief to with her manipulations. She also realized that I was holding great sadness and asked about it. I had just lost my mother and she showed me how to release that sadness through counter-clockwise rubbing of my abdomen. At her suggestion, I went into the eucalyptus scented steam shower at the end of the massage, walked into the crystal room, and made a cairn in my mother's honor in the rock garden. I felt so spiritually revived following my experience at Mii Amo. I will return there on my next trip to Sedona for sure!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise C
There are newer reviews for Mii amo, a destination spa

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Just returned from Mii Amo and had a fabulous time. The setting in the red rocks is amazing. I highly recommend the hike in the red rocks. My room was great.. I had a suite that had a lovely living room , large patio and ample bedroom and bathroom. I enjoyed the treatments especially the JoJoba butter scrub.
The food at the cafe was great,but the service at the cafe could be excruciatingly slow. This is an area for improvement.
I found all of the staff to be extremely accommodating and professional .
I have been to a lot of Spas, including The Golden Door and Canyon Ranch and this is my favorite.
I have already booked in for next year...

Room Tip: View of the red rocks
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DeniseSpaLover
Reviewed 19 October 2013

3-day journey at Mii amo Destination spa was the most amazing 3 days of my life. Setting in Boynton Canyon can't be beat. Room was fabulous and spa is top of the line. Every treatment I got was amazing. Recommend the Soul Seeker treatment. Went on hikes, did yoga, meditation, and lots of time in the spa sitting in the hot tub, sauna, steam room and getting massages. Best food I have ever had. Friendly staff. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This review is for the Mii Amo spa café in the Enchantment Resort (we loved being able to use the spa facilities during our week there as well as access to the very good food at this café). We really enjoyed Mii Amo’s healthy menu, especially their juice/smoothie bar which we took advantage of almost daily from dawn to early evening. We had breakfast in the café three times, so I can’t comment on lunch/dinner other than to say that the later menu also featured healthy foods (they even have quinoa) with many gluten free options; there seemed to be no difference between lunch and dinner menus.

I appreciate that they include nutritional breakdowns on each item, even their smoothies. With only one notable exception (a guy waiter who didn’t seem very outgoing), everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. My husband really enjoyed the oatmeal with fresh berries and brown sugar, and he thought the scrambled organic eggs and turkey bacon were very good. I enjoyed my frittatas and an omelet and turkey bacon (separate days – I’m not that piggy) and the fact that they incorporate fresh veggies into both and that goat cheese is available. Biggest love: Pomegranate Passion smoothie. I tried the Boynton Experience (?) with blueberries, pineapple, and coconut milk but it was too rich – the Pomegranate drink is just right. They’ll also mix any combo you like, and they have wheatgrass, too.

The only glitch would be some confusion over the gluten-free raisin bread on their menu: I ordered it with my frittata on the first morning, but a very rich and chocolate-y piece of (cake)bread was delivered instead; I asked the waitress if this was correct and she checked with the kitchen – they said that’s what had been delivered for the GF bread (and no raisins in sight so I don’t know what it was supposed to be). The same bread was served on the second morning, but on the third day (with a different waiter) regular looking toast was served. He assured me it was gluten free – again, no raisins in sight, so I’m not sure if there are issues with their supplier or not. When you’re dealing with food allergies, you’re relying on the menu description and the knowledge/training of servers and chefs to make sure your food won’t make you sick – so it’s a little unsettling to be served something that’s not “as advertised.” Otherwise, they seemed to have a very good awareness of food allergy issues.

We usually went early (6 or 7 am) when it was nice and quiet. The third time we went after 8:30, and it was pretty packed. Service was noticeably slow later in the morning when they were busy. For good canyon views, they have three inside tables (among others that don’t have good views), and our favorite was the four-top next to the patio door – with floor to ceiling glass, it’s like sitting outside (but warm and toasty) with your own private view (if there’s no one at the next table). There’s also a two-top table against a picture window in the main dining area. Outside, they have quite a few patio tables, but take a jacket because it’s nippy in the morning!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GF-Wife
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Nice place, good food, very relaxing. The red rocks are cool and the mounting biking and hiking guide is Native American and is awesome! The room and room-service was very nice at Enchantment. The spa is rejuvenating and the staff was over and above my expectations. Brunch was jammed up and not managed well as they take walk-ins and reservations, having a restaurant background it could have been managed better.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Super pricey, but super chill. The food is fantastic, with endless fresh juices, smoothies, etc. The service is superb, and every evening there will be a gift on your pillow. They will give you a luxe bathrobe as your first gift.

The dance studio has a great morning stretch. Make sure you try the mountain biking- very challenging but worth it- the instructors are patient and you can dial down the challenge if you want without a problem.

The massages and treatments are good, but in my opinion not excellent. It is a bit of a mill at the spa because the Mii Amo guests are sharing it with the much larger mother property up the hill, Enchantment. They can also use the Mii Amo pool, but I don't believe that children are allowed.

The famous red rocks will put you in a trance and mellow you out- worth the price of admission. There is absolutely a ton of new age rhetoric here- some people found it empowering, others just a charming extra, but it doesn't get in the way of your experience.

When you book, someone will ask you about your interests, spa treatment choices, and activities. Make sure you have at least 30 minutes separating your spa treatments and activities. For example, I had a massage one day from 9-10 and yoga from 10-11- I missed the yoga class and that was the only one that day. So, double check the itinerary they send you, because the group activities won't wait for you.

Room Tip: Try to get the best view of the red rocks that you can. Go to Enchantment for a drink to catch a wi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eors
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have been lucky enough to have made 3 journeys to Mii Amo (so far) and it just gets better every time. The service is impeccable, the setting beautiful; I can feel my blood pressure go down just thinking about it! Truly a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo