“More than a Jeep ride”

Southwest Outside Adventures
Ranked #49 of 90 Tours in Sedona
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Mike, our guide, picked us up at our hotel and during the next four hours took us on some rough roads to a few locations where we took some time for short hikes to get nice vistas and photo ops. He was full of information about the geology and the area in general. I was taking my time composing pictures and setting up my tripod and he was very patient and helpful. He also provided us with snacks and drinks. We scheduled this tour on our first day in Sedona and that worked out great because Mike answered all our questions about what other things to do and see in the area. He even took the time to draw out a couple maps to get us to some other good locations to explore.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Our B&B proprietors recommended Southwest Outside and Mike Krajnak in particular for a 1/2 day hike for me and my wife. Mike picked us up at the B&B, and offered a few options after discussing what we were looking for, our experience,desired level of difficulty, etc. The trail he chose was perfect, and we spent easily 1/2 of the time going off of the main trail to interesting arches, slot canyons, and other features that we never would have experienced on our own. Mike is a good conversationalist, and was very well versed in the local geography, geology and ecosystems, which added to an already enjoyable outing. We highly recommend Mike and Southwest Outside.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

All I can say is great tour and well worth the money. We started our visit to AZ with a 4 hour tour. We had limited time in Sedona and wanted to see all the highlights. Mike was suppose to be our guide and was called out of town. John was our substitute and he was fabulous. He focused on all our key inputs including great photo shoots. Our 4 hours tour went 4 1/2 plus hours. Also at the end, John gave me some tips for our drive to Grand Canyon. We were picked up at our B&B in a comfortable Acura with water waiting for us. We saw all we expected to see and more. John gave us some pointers on things to see on our own after his tour which we did. Would highly recommend. Thanks John!!!

1  Thank RayV555
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We did the all day tour of the Grand Canyon with Mike... It was GREAT! I am a plus sized traveler and my husband is scared of heights... We were intimidated by the Canyon and wanted to be sure we had a professional show us around... Mike picked us up right at our B&B and drove us to the Grand Canyon... along the way giving us information on the locations and answering our many questions... His knowledge of the Canyon was vast and with all our limitations he was still able to find great locations that weren't too far for me to walk and not too scary for my hubby... he took us places where we were the only ones at that location... it was great to see the Canyon without all the tourists! We were able to take some amazing pictures without having to ask someone to move and when we wanted a picture together, Mike was happy to oblige... A GREAT lunch was included with the price :-)
If you haven't been to Sedona or the Grand Canyon AND you don't want the usual bus tour or tour group... go with a PRO... and MIKE is the BEST! THANKS MIKE!
PS - If you have any questions... please feel free to contact me :-)

1  Thank pina_col
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We got a recommendation from the concierge at Enchantment Resort to use Mike krajnak for a private guided tour - great call by them. I think the name of the company is Southwest Outside Adventures, slightly different than what they have here on Trip Advisor.
I originally booked Mike to take us on a full day excurison to the Grand Canyon from Sedona, but later changed my plans and asked him to take us around Sedona instead for the day. He met us at our hotel at 8AM. I had already told Mike about the family (myslef, wife, daughter 16, and sons 15 and 11) and what we were doing other days in Sedona and asked him to plan something around that. After stopping and grabbing some bagged lunches for later, we headed in Mike's SUV to Loy Canyon, where he took us on a great hike - started on trail, then ventured off trail and did some fun climbing, including a couple great chutes, to some Indian ruins high up on the cliffs. It was fantastic. Along the way, Mike was extremely knowledgable and informative about plant and animal life, the geology of the region, the history, and the Indian culture.
We ate lunch up among the ruins, then headed back to his car, and after a welcome stop at Dairy Queen, went up route 89A past the state park to a picnic area where we had a watering hole all to ourselves - water was cool but refreshing after the hike.
All in all, just a fantastic day, I could not have asked for better. I highly recommend this company and Mike Krajnak.
To top it off, my wife inadvertently left the case to her sunglasses in Mike's car at the end of the day. About ten days later, we received it back in the mail from Mike.

4  Thank Jack_Straw123