“Big disapointment”

Sedona Real Inn and Suites
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hotel was a major disappointment in just about every way. Very poor value. The room (I believe that they called it a suite?) was gloomy, and poorly appointed. We had a balcony that faced a highway, Traffic noise was constant. The bed was uncomfortable.The setting is not as in the photos. The "unique" breakfast was anything but unique. The breakfast fare was very mediocre. We expected the breakfast to be self serve, but we did not expect to see three tip jars in the breakfast area. Tips? For what? We checked out after the first night. Fortunately the accomodation for the remainder of our Arizona holiday was far superior. When I advised that we were leaving early, no one at the front desk asked why. Perhaps they are used to this. Find another place. You can do better for less.

Room Tip: If you must stay, ask for a room at the back of the property, away form the road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
megan-community, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Overall, it sounds like Sedona Real was not your cup of tea and I sincerely apologize for your disappointment. As a result of your review, we are making a few changes. We have a photo shoot of our new family and pet park coming up and I am also going to have the photographer take a few property and view photos to add to the Tripadvisor slideshow and website gallery. You can also see our views from the photos that previous guests have posted on our listing. Highway 89A does run along the north side of our property (along 2 of our 5 buildings), but if you look up you get a full panoramic view of red rocks. It’s really a personal preference and we strive to accommodate guests in order to give them the most of what they desire whether it be views, pool or serenity. We were actually getting guest requests for tip jars in the breakfast area which is why I allow them there. I have removed one of them; we will see what the result is. Lastly, while there are less expensive hotels in Sedona, we feel that our pricing is more than competitive for the quality and extensive amenities we offer. Thank you again for your review and if there is anything you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly through the hotel.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

For the most part, everything was fine, if pretty average. After all I had seen and heard about their great customer service/conscierge service, I was bummed that, even though I had requested when booking early check-in, I was not able to. In fact, when I got there around noon, the "housekeeper" (only 1 for a pretty large property ?!?) was at lunch. I was told to check back, so I went to lunch (well over an hour and a half, including drive to/from). When I called back to check, the 'housekeeper' was not back from lunch yet. So much for customer service.

The property itself looked pretty nice, but they had some tacky signs along some water features- "Beware - Man-Eating Fish"; "Piranhas"; "Sharks", etc.; detracted from the otherwise pleasant property.

The location isn't the best either- it is quite a ways west from most of the restaurants/etc.- not huge, but there are plenty of lodging options closer to the action in similar price range.

Minor stuff, yes. Stay was fine- breakfast was decent- room was a bit dated, but good sized.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
megan-community, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback. My first thought is that a few of the suite types are of limited quantity and there is a turnover time between check-out, cleaning and check-in. Regardless though, I apologize you were not able to get into your room at the desired time. Our policy is always to accommodate the guest whenever possible even if they arrive at 8am. If the room (or alternative of same room type) is ready, we give you your keys right away. Please contact me directly in advance of your next visit to Sedona so that I can personally manage your reservation and arrival. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

The room I had was a decent value at best - its interior was clean but hard-worn and kind of strange smelling. The staff all seemed nervous; since people are usually at ease around me, I found myself wondering what that was about. I'd try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This time did not opt for a suite since only there for 1 night. However, the room was very large and clean.

Room Tip: top floor corner room for views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

On our 1st night, the door lock was "dead". That means, it cannot be locked which makes it a useless door lock. There was no maintenance person to fix it. Then the internet was gone before midnight.
On the 2nd day, a maintenance came and fixed the lock. We left the room at 7am, put up a "make up room sign". When we returned at 2pm, the room was not cleaned at all. We called up front desk and was told that housekeeping will be available after 30 minutes. I asked to talk to the Manager but it never happened.
On the 2nd night, the bathroom light went out. It was the front desk staff who fixed it.
On the 3rd day, I got an early morning phone call (which woke me up unnecessarily) by a guy who said that he got a report that my lock was not working. Apparently, he did not get the memo.
Lastly, there is no front desk personnel after 12mn.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
megan-community, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for your comments. Sounds like there were a few frustrating issues that dampened your enjoyment of our hotel. For those, I sincerely apologize. We always keep at least a couple rooms in reserve for rare situations such as a broken door lock. Also, although our main office hours are from 6am to midnight, there is always someone on call (within 15 minutes) should the need arise. That being said, I would welcome the opportunity to follow up directly with you to investigate the details of your stay. Please contact me at 800-353-1239 or email me at info@sedonareal.com (Attn: GM). Thank you again. We hope on your next trip to Sedona, you will give us another opportunity to provide the level of service we are recognized for.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just stayed a week ago, for 2nights as a family of 5, I called a couple of hours before arrival asking that a rollaway be in the room, it was there when we checked in. We reserved a basic room, two queens: rooms are refreshing, new linens, updated amenities and most importantly clean. The small fridge and microwave are a nice touch. We enjoyed the pool the first morning of our stay, small but no one else was around and it is heated. Breakfast was filling all 5 of us found something to enjoy, big plus the waffle machine! Definitely will stay here again when visiting Sedona, love to support local family owners!! One more thing check out the Barlow Jeep Rentals...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
megan-community, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m glad that we were able to accommodate you in comfort. Call ahead of your next visit so we can greet you! Thanks again from our family to yours.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on our way back to Phoenix from the Grand Canyon. Cannot say enough about the staff ... helpful doesn't even scratch the surface; from room accommodations (up-graded I might add !) to information provided by the concierge on restaurants ... everything was great. The outdoor pool & jacuzzi was a relaxing way to end a busy day (do not miss The Pink Jeep Tour) and the hotel location being just far enough away from the "hustle & bustle" of downtown Sedona really helped us unwind both days ! The free wi-fi and continental breakfast was also greatly appreciated! Without a doubt we will be back !

Room Tip: Building 4 is at the "back" of the property (away from the roadway/entrance) and is quiet...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for the excellent recommendation and ratings! We look forward to the privilege of hosting your family again!