“Sunset Suite at Sedona Summit”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
los angeles
“Sunset Suite at Sedona Summit”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

the Good:

We had a gorgeous 2 bedroom Sunset suite to our 3rd visit to the Summits. I got a 2nd floor with views of the green shrubs and part view of the red mountains. although it is smaller than the 2 bedroom lock-off we had previously (itself a very nice suite), the suite was nicely decorated in walnut doors and trim, granite counters and 5 (yes, 5)copper basin sinks. We had 2 master bathrooms with 2 bubbling hottubs (fits 2 people). The kitchen was very nice with new appliances and granite everywhere. A huge balcony is great for meals and can be accessed from the living area and smaller room. The furnishings were new and high quality.
Several swimming pools on site including one of 2 levels with a hottub on top section.

The Bad:
Units use sliding doors to maximize space, these doors can be a little difficult to open and close. Fridge had a weird water dispenser on the inside. 2nd bedroom door has no lock. Sunset units do not have a lockoff 2nd bedroom and are a little smaller in interior side but have a larger exterior balcony. Water filter would not fit because all the faucets (6 including the kitchen) were fancy types in dark antiqued metal without a standard aerator.

The Ugly:
Well, it was really hard to get out of the unit. We hardly did anything for the first 3 days and wouldn't leave before lunch.

If you want luxury, get a sunset suite! The standards suites are also highly recommended based on 2 previous visits.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for less noise or request a first floor walkout if you want easy in/out.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank desi0
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your excellent review here on trip advisor.

I am content to read that you booked the unit you wanted and enjoyed it. The Sunset units are the newest rooms at our resort (they are about 4 years old). We are consistently receiving requests from guests to upgrade to a Sunset unit. I recommend booking a Sunset suite to ensure your unit expectations. Also, thank you for mentioning the note on the standard units. Since all of our units are remodeled our standard units are very nice as well and are taken cared of very well by our operations team here at the Sedona Summit.

Thank you for your business here at the Sedona Summit and we look forward to your return stay with us here at the Sedona Summit.

Michael.Pena@Diamondresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Loudon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 April 2012

There is hardly any place in Sedona that doesn't dazzle with beauty. But when I read other reviews about the Sedona Summit Resort, and many travelers recommended getting a 3rd floor suite in the Mesa or Sunset buildings, I contacted the management to look into doing this. They assured me that my vacation would be "memorable" but that I was staying in a recently renovated unit, and they would do all they could upon my arrival to move me if I so desired. We arrived late at night, the check-in was efficient and friendly, and we settled in to sleep. We awoke to a reaction of amazement and surprise-- although we had seen photos, nothing equals our very own miraculous and personal vision. We were surrounded--literally-- by the very red rocks and mountains that I had longed to see in this area for years. So don't fret about which building you are in, or what floor the unit occupies. The entire complex is gorgeous, Sedona is beautiful, the staff are friendly and efficient, there are pools and spas and BBQ grills conveniently scattered about, and you will have a truly memorable vacation, just as they had promised, even if you do nothing but sit and gaze around you. The Centennial Trail, just to the west of the resort, is an easy and spectacular walk for a pleasant early start to your day, and there are portions which are accessible, as well as more rugged trails for hiking or biking. Photo ops abound. There's a great variety of food in Sedona, and we enjoyed a spicy Indian meal our first night (I think it was the India Palace) and quite a few nights of Mexican food at various places, including Cafe Jose. We ate at the Oak Creek Brewery & Grille one late night, within Tlaquepaque, and walked around the "mall" afterwards window-shopping and feeling like we were in a small Mexican village. We returned the next morning for a light Continental breakfast on the patio of The Secret Garden Cafe. We took a side trip north to hike the Grand Canyon, tour Antelope Slot Canyons, and see Monument Valley in the Navajo Nation. But upon our return to Sedona we tried to hike as many trails as we could. Devil's Bridge, Fay Canyon (and the arch), and the Jim Thompson Trail were all spectacular and enjoyable. Again, you'd be hard-pressed to find any trail or spot in Sedona that doesn't take your breath away. The Sedona Summit was the perfect resort for our needs, and we appreciated the large lock-off rooms with the huge and updated TVs and conveniences. The only thing I would change is the amount of time we get to spend there-- one week in Sedona was not enough. We ended up using another week in Scottsdale because there weren't any back-to-back weeks at the Summit. Oh well-- now we have to go back.

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank ElizP61
I really enjoyed reading your excellent review on your recent stay with us.

I am so glad to read that while you were here that you got out and enjoyed what Sedona had to offer.

Making sure that your vacation was an excellent “Memorable” experience –Mission Accomplished!

We are working hard to make our guest’s stay the best in town. We appreciate your review and your business with us here at the Sedona Summit. It sounds like you will be back and please be ensured that all your future stays with us will be great.

Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We've stayed at a lot of timeshares over a span of 15 years, and this is one of our top picks. My husband and I were spending our 20th anniversary here, and booked a single bedroom condo. The kitchen was my favorite, since I'm a chef. Granite countertops, pretty nice cookware (I'd bring my own knives, though, if I didn't have to FLY here!), s/s appliances, and instead of a dining room or kitchen table, there was a granite-top peninsula that was wide and roomy - with 4 comfy bar stools. Living room and bedroom had a flat screen TVs bigger than we own ourselves. DVD player in living room enabled us to rent Redbox videos and enjoy them at night.

Coffee maker had a wee problem, but maintenance brought us a new one in minutes, plus new coffee!

Bathroom was as big as the bedroom! Great jacuzzi tubs (with neon lights under the water - very intriguing), granite-top vanity, expensive tiles, enormous shower, and private restroom.

Bedroom had plenty of storage and -the best- a balcony with outdoor furniture, ceiling fan, and lights! Our first night was Lenten, so we quickly put together snow crab legs, baked potatos, salad, and a bottle of wine. We ate on the balcony, watching the incredible sunset on the mountains... (BTW, it's rare that I stay anywhere that gives you a stock pot big enough to boil crab legs!! Kudos to Summit!!)

Summit is near to everything, but is far from the downtown lights and noise. Plenty of pools and hot tubs. You must try the hot tub on the east side of the property. It's an infinity tub, and has the most remarkable views of the mountains... We snapped many pics with our phones and sent them to our friends and family. I think we may have sold a few weeks to each one of them! hah!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Logan222
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your Sunset unit in our Sunset phase.

We know that your time together is very special. We are very fortunate that you spent your 20th Anniversary with us. Your time with us is special and that celebration is the icing on the cake with us here at the Sedona Summit.

We do take pride in our units and work hard to make sure that our units are ready for all of our guests who stay with us.

I enjoyed reading your dinner menu for the first night and all I have to say is that it was perfect. Especially eating dinner on the balcony taking in all of Sedona away from the rush and lights of the busy town.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back soon here at the Sedona Summit.

Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I and two teenaged daughters spent Spring Break at the Sedona Summit Resort. We booked a one bedroom with an adjoining studio, which worked very well for us. While we didn't get one of the 'rooms with a view' we didn't find that all that big an issue, as one needs only step outside and walk a short distance to enjoy spectacular views.

We found the accomodations to be very well equipped - the large jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, large flat screen TVs were all nearly new and in good working order. The kitchen was nice - Cuisinart appliances, new non-stick cookware and all the other necessities to whip up meals. We mostly did breakfasts and lunches on the property on the days we weren't 'out and about' which can be a nice time and money saver.

The staff was also helpful - the toaster quit working on us during our stay, and after contacting guest services we had a new one delivered to us within 15 minutes. There was a bit of a mix-up on the day for our units to be cleaned, but again a call to guest services quickly remedied the situation.

We also enjoyed the many activities - our daughters did several of the arts/crafts activities, which is a nice addition that isn't always found at other properties. The day excursions recommended by the staff were also generally good, although we were less impressed with some of the restaurant recommendations - after staying in Sedona for a week, we don't necessarily view this as a failing of the staff, as mediocre food with high prices seems to be something of the norm in the area. I guess that goes with the resort territory in general.

It did snow (a lot!) while we were there, which is simply a cautionary tale for anybody traveling to this area during March (it is at over 5,000 feet, after all). That said, Sunday's snow was pretty much all gone by Tuesday, and it was very pretty in terms of contrasts with the famous red rocks.

We did agree to one of the resort sales pitch presentations in return for discounts on some of our event packages. The word I would use to describe the marketing staff is 'persistent.' I guess that is understandable, and my wife and I are pretty used to the pitch. If you don't like it, one can always resist the temptation to get the discounts, right?

All in all, a positive experience. I'm not sure if Sedona will be a regular place to visit for us (we felt we did a lot in the week we were there), but if we were looking for accomodations, we would happily return to this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rbdo
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
We know how important traveling with family is while on vacation. We know that sometimes families have one, maybe two weeks of vacation a year. We thank you for sharing it with us here at the Sedona Summit. We know how important that is and trust me; we will continue to work hard to make your stay excellent with us.

Sounds like you had a couple of small bumps during your stay and we were right there to correct the issues. I am sure that everyone knows that everything is not perfect, but rest assured that we strive for perfection and sometimes we need to fix issues to make it happen. Thank you for reporting that we resolved your issues to your satisfaction.

Your excellent review of the Sedona Summit is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your next stay with us.

La Mesa, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We spent 4 nights at the beautiful Sedona Summit Resort! The views in most of the units are breathtaking. We walked out of our room each day only to be greeted by an amazing red rock formation that seemed to change color with the sun and the clouds.
The room was very nice, beautiful kitchen and bathroom, comfortable bed! The unit had a washer and dryer, a shower and large jacuzzi tub, and a bar to sit at as well as a nice dining area. We enjoyed most of our meals at "home" and saved a lot of money by shopping at the Safeway nearby. We had a wonderful Italian meal at Dahl & Di Luca's in town. We also enjoyed a day of hiking and a visit to NAU! The Resort had plenty of pools and jacuzzis to enjoy as well!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor on the rim of the property facing west or North.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We appreciate your four night stay with us.

More important I am glad that you took in all the locations and views that the Sedona Summit has to offer. If you are in a unit with a view (as many request) or a room without a view a step outside and a nice walk through our resort is refreshing and rejuvenating. We are west of Sedona and border the forest and red rock mesa.

I appreciate the tip: “Ask for a second floor on the rim of the property facing west or North.” To get this type of unit a Mesa or Sunset unit will need to be reserved and a request before you arrive to see if any are available due to the very high demand for them.

I am glad to read that you had a wonderful trip and we are looking forward to your return back to the Sedona Summit.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Sedona Summit Resort for 1 week in March and enjoyed their variety of activities, the surrounding hiking trails and selection of pools on the property. Meticulously maintained with cheery, helpful staff - I'd definitely stay here again! The rooms were spacious and generously equipped to meet all of our comfort requirements.

Room Tip: We travelled with my parents and were able to book a studio attached to their 1-bedroom and found th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your excellent review here on trip advisor.

I am happy to read that you were able to book your 2 bedroom lock off unit (One Bedroom and Studio with a connecting door). I know traveling with family is important and we know that we have a lot of expectations to fulfill. I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for your stay with us and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Don't go to Sedona and stay in a cramped hotel room with your kids. Just go to Sedona Summit and stay in a roomy condo. We're comfortable, the place is quiet but full in this peak Spring Break season. Lots to do and the resort offers tons of activities for people of all ages. No free wireless, that's the only disappointment.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank PNW_WarriorWoman
Thank you very much for you review and sharing with all of us here on trip advisor.

We appreciate the Very Good review and recommendation of the Sedona Summit to families with children. If your children like to have fun, swim and have a great time then you have found your home away from home.

I hear you on the note with internet. This is Sedona and it’s time for the family to rejuvenate together. It’s all about taking time to make time. Thank you for sharing that time with us here at the Sedona Summit.