“Fabulous Summit!”

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Indianapolis
“Fabulous Summit!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Last Christmas, my husband’s parents generously gifted us with their unused timeshare points. We considered and researched a few timeshare properties and decided on the Sedona Summit resort. Not having any experience with such points transfers and with questions regarding condo accommodations, my husband emailed with Summit general manager, Michael Pena. He responded very quickly and not only did he answer our questions, he attached a photo of the ‘partial’ view from the unit we would be assigned. We were impressed with his desire to please and his quick responses.

We couldn’t have been more pleased! I stayed in the car while my husband checked in at the front desk. He was encouraged to bring me inside for what I assume was THE timeshare pitch. He refused, telling them that we had been up since 4am and were tired. We never heard another word from them. The unit we were assigned was nearly perfect in every way. The ‘partial’ view was gorgeous. The only thing that ‘blocked’ our view was one 8 foot tall pine tree. The view of Cockscomb rock was amazing! Nicely decorated and extremely comfortable…we loved the unit. The bedding and towels were great. The kitchen was appointed with everything needed. We loved the little gas fireplace and used it almost every morning and evening. Toiletries, dishwasher soap, paper towels, garbage bags are all provided. The only thing that isn’t provided is laundry detergent. Just so you know I’m not a paid spokesperson…I will point out a couple of negative things. The bathroom is large with a huge tub. However, the shower stall is only what I would call medium size…and there’s no ledge to prop your foot on when shaving your legs (this is a girl thing, I realize). There is no full length mirror in the unit (again, a girl thing). Neither of these things were more than a minor annoyance. We used the washer/dryer a few times and the lint filter in the dryer was broken. My husband fiddled with it enough to get by, but it needs to be serviced by a professional. Again, no big deal. We truly loved our unit at the Summit and encourage anyone planning to stay there to contact the manager before your arrival, as he is extremely approachable and helpful.

We will return to Sedona and we'll definitely stay at the Summit again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poolechick
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you very much for your excellent review and sharing al the details with all of us here on trip advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed the view from your unit as you experienced Sedona with us here at the Sedona Summit. Also, I am happy to read you enjoyed your unit as well and we will look into the dryer vent to get replaced. Thank you for pointing that out.

I hear you on your two areas referred to as a “girl thing”. I will note this and see what I can do with some future planning. These are good points you bring up. Thank you or mentioning them.

You and everyone are more than welcome to contact me for your future stay with us here at the Sedona Summit. I only ask that you email (because I am on 24/7). Some guests call me and sometimes I can’t get to them fast enough as I would like. So please email your inquiries as this will be the main way to contact me directly.

We appreciate your business with us here at the Sedona Summit and we look forward to your future stays with us.

Michael.Pena@Diamondresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
New York, NY
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here on an exchanged timeshare week. The "concierge" whom we were directed to immediately after checkin pushed us to attend a presentation about other resorts that we could exchange timeshare weeks for. And we'd get a $75 gift card! But we'd have to pay a $50 "good faith" penalty if we signed up and didn't show. Hmm. Would this be a sales pitch, we asked. "No, because you already own, we just want to tell you about other properties you can exchange weeks for." A blatant lie. It turned out to be the standard hard sell timeshare session, not worth suffering through for the gift card.

The facility is fine but not memorable in and of itself. There are pools and grills for guest use scattered across the grounds. There are various activities available that cost $5-$10 per person (e.g. arts and crafts). Cell phone reception is spotty at the resort although better in town. Wifi requires extra significant payment and the signal is pretty bad - hence long waits at the two free, very slow, lobby computers. Sales pitches aside, the staff is reasonably friendly and will happily book outside activities for you (I suspect, but can't confirm, that the resort gets a kickback).

If you have a tolerance for being lied to, you could do worse than this place on a visit to Sedona. But it's funny how something like that can really leave a sour taste. We are pretty sure we won't be back.

Room Tip: "Studio" rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review.

It sounds that your review centered on your sales presentation and your experience with our concierge team. We usually get great reviews from our concierge team and I am frequently thanked in person here at the resort for the high level of service they receive from our veteran concierge team. I will share this review with the Concierge team as I meet with the team often.

We appreciate you mentioning the friendly service that you received while you were here at the Sedona Summit. With Wi-Fi service and Cell phone service in our rural location set aside be assured that you will receive great service from my team.

I am sorry to read that you will not be back. We wish you the best on your future travels.

los angeles
Reviewed 9 April 2012

the Good:

We had a gorgeous 2 bedroom Sunset suite to our 3rd visit to the Summits. I got a 2nd floor with views of the green shrubs and part view of the red mountains. although it is smaller than the 2 bedroom lock-off we had previously (itself a very nice suite), the suite was nicely decorated in walnut doors and trim, granite counters and 5 (yes, 5)copper basin sinks. We had 2 master bathrooms with 2 bubbling hottubs (fits 2 people). The kitchen was very nice with new appliances and granite everywhere. A huge balcony is great for meals and can be accessed from the living area and smaller room. The furnishings were new and high quality.
Several swimming pools on site including one of 2 levels with a hottub on top section.

The Bad:
Units use sliding doors to maximize space, these doors can be a little difficult to open and close. Fridge had a weird water dispenser on the inside. 2nd bedroom door has no lock. Sunset units do not have a lockoff 2nd bedroom and are a little smaller in interior side but have a larger exterior balcony. Water filter would not fit because all the faucets (6 including the kitchen) were fancy types in dark antiqued metal without a standard aerator.

The Ugly:
Well, it was really hard to get out of the unit. We hardly did anything for the first 3 days and wouldn't leave before lunch.

If you want luxury, get a sunset suite! The standards suites are also highly recommended based on 2 previous visits.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for less noise or request a first floor walkout if you want easy in/out.
4 Thank desi0
Thank you for your excellent review here on trip advisor.

I am content to read that you booked the unit you wanted and enjoyed it. The Sunset units are the newest rooms at our resort (they are about 4 years old). We are consistently receiving requests from guests to upgrade to a Sunset unit. I recommend booking a Sunset suite to ensure your unit expectations. Also, thank you for mentioning the note on the standard units. Since all of our units are remodeled our standard units are very nice as well and are taken cared of very well by our operations team here at the Sedona Summit.

Thank you for your business here at the Sedona Summit and we look forward to your return stay with us here at the Sedona Summit.

Loudon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 April 2012

There is hardly any place in Sedona that doesn't dazzle with beauty. But when I read other reviews about the Sedona Summit Resort, and many travelers recommended getting a 3rd floor suite in the Mesa or Sunset buildings, I contacted the management to look into doing this. They assured me that my vacation would be "memorable" but that I was staying in a recently renovated unit, and they would do all they could upon my arrival to move me if I so desired. We arrived late at night, the check-in was efficient and friendly, and we settled in to sleep. We awoke to a reaction of amazement and surprise-- although we had seen photos, nothing equals our very own miraculous and personal vision. We were surrounded--literally-- by the very red rocks and mountains that I had longed to see in this area for years. So don't fret about which building you are in, or what floor the unit occupies. The entire complex is gorgeous, Sedona is beautiful, the staff are friendly and efficient, there are pools and spas and BBQ grills conveniently scattered about, and you will have a truly memorable vacation, just as they had promised, even if you do nothing but sit and gaze around you. The Centennial Trail, just to the west of the resort, is an easy and spectacular walk for a pleasant early start to your day, and there are portions which are accessible, as well as more rugged trails for hiking or biking. Photo ops abound. There's a great variety of food in Sedona, and we enjoyed a spicy Indian meal our first night (I think it was the India Palace) and quite a few nights of Mexican food at various places, including Cafe Jose. We ate at the Oak Creek Brewery & Grille one late night, within Tlaquepaque, and walked around the "mall" afterwards window-shopping and feeling like we were in a small Mexican village. We returned the next morning for a light Continental breakfast on the patio of The Secret Garden Cafe. We took a side trip north to hike the Grand Canyon, tour Antelope Slot Canyons, and see Monument Valley in the Navajo Nation. But upon our return to Sedona we tried to hike as many trails as we could. Devil's Bridge, Fay Canyon (and the arch), and the Jim Thompson Trail were all spectacular and enjoyable. Again, you'd be hard-pressed to find any trail or spot in Sedona that doesn't take your breath away. The Sedona Summit was the perfect resort for our needs, and we appreciated the large lock-off rooms with the huge and updated TVs and conveniences. The only thing I would change is the amount of time we get to spend there-- one week in Sedona was not enough. We ended up using another week in Scottsdale because there weren't any back-to-back weeks at the Summit. Oh well-- now we have to go back.

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank ElizP61
I really enjoyed reading your excellent review on your recent stay with us.

I am so glad to read that while you were here that you got out and enjoyed what Sedona had to offer.

Making sure that your vacation was an excellent “Memorable” experience –Mission Accomplished!

We are working hard to make our guest’s stay the best in town. We appreciate your review and your business with us here at the Sedona Summit. It sounds like you will be back and please be ensured that all your future stays with us will be great.

Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We've stayed at a lot of timeshares over a span of 15 years, and this is one of our top picks. My husband and I were spending our 20th anniversary here, and booked a single bedroom condo. The kitchen was my favorite, since I'm a chef. Granite countertops, pretty nice cookware (I'd bring my own knives, though, if I didn't have to FLY here!), s/s appliances, and instead of a dining room or kitchen table, there was a granite-top peninsula that was wide and roomy - with 4 comfy bar stools. Living room and bedroom had a flat screen TVs bigger than we own ourselves. DVD player in living room enabled us to rent Redbox videos and enjoy them at night.

Coffee maker had a wee problem, but maintenance brought us a new one in minutes, plus new coffee!

Bathroom was as big as the bedroom! Great jacuzzi tubs (with neon lights under the water - very intriguing), granite-top vanity, expensive tiles, enormous shower, and private restroom.

Bedroom had plenty of storage and -the best- a balcony with outdoor furniture, ceiling fan, and lights! Our first night was Lenten, so we quickly put together snow crab legs, baked potatos, salad, and a bottle of wine. We ate on the balcony, watching the incredible sunset on the mountains... (BTW, it's rare that I stay anywhere that gives you a stock pot big enough to boil crab legs!! Kudos to Summit!!)

Summit is near to everything, but is far from the downtown lights and noise. Plenty of pools and hot tubs. You must try the hot tub on the east side of the property. It's an infinity tub, and has the most remarkable views of the mountains... We snapped many pics with our phones and sent them to our friends and family. I think we may have sold a few weeks to each one of them! hah!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Logan222
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your Sunset unit in our Sunset phase.

We know that your time together is very special. We are very fortunate that you spent your 20th Anniversary with us. Your time with us is special and that celebration is the icing on the cake with us here at the Sedona Summit.

We do take pride in our units and work hard to make sure that our units are ready for all of our guests who stay with us.

I enjoyed reading your dinner menu for the first night and all I have to say is that it was perfect. Especially eating dinner on the balcony taking in all of Sedona away from the rush and lights of the busy town.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back soon here at the Sedona Summit.

Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I and two teenaged daughters spent Spring Break at the Sedona Summit Resort. We booked a one bedroom with an adjoining studio, which worked very well for us. While we didn't get one of the 'rooms with a view' we didn't find that all that big an issue, as one needs only step outside and walk a short distance to enjoy spectacular views.

We found the accomodations to be very well equipped - the large jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, large flat screen TVs were all nearly new and in good working order. The kitchen was nice - Cuisinart appliances, new non-stick cookware and all the other necessities to whip up meals. We mostly did breakfasts and lunches on the property on the days we weren't 'out and about' which can be a nice time and money saver.

The staff was also helpful - the toaster quit working on us during our stay, and after contacting guest services we had a new one delivered to us within 15 minutes. There was a bit of a mix-up on the day for our units to be cleaned, but again a call to guest services quickly remedied the situation.

We also enjoyed the many activities - our daughters did several of the arts/crafts activities, which is a nice addition that isn't always found at other properties. The day excursions recommended by the staff were also generally good, although we were less impressed with some of the restaurant recommendations - after staying in Sedona for a week, we don't necessarily view this as a failing of the staff, as mediocre food with high prices seems to be something of the norm in the area. I guess that goes with the resort territory in general.

It did snow (a lot!) while we were there, which is simply a cautionary tale for anybody traveling to this area during March (it is at over 5,000 feet, after all). That said, Sunday's snow was pretty much all gone by Tuesday, and it was very pretty in terms of contrasts with the famous red rocks.

We did agree to one of the resort sales pitch presentations in return for discounts on some of our event packages. The word I would use to describe the marketing staff is 'persistent.' I guess that is understandable, and my wife and I are pretty used to the pitch. If you don't like it, one can always resist the temptation to get the discounts, right?

All in all, a positive experience. I'm not sure if Sedona will be a regular place to visit for us (we felt we did a lot in the week we were there), but if we were looking for accomodations, we would happily return to this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rbdo
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
We know how important traveling with family is while on vacation. We know that sometimes families have one, maybe two weeks of vacation a year. We thank you for sharing it with us here at the Sedona Summit. We know how important that is and trust me; we will continue to work hard to make your stay excellent with us.

Sounds like you had a couple of small bumps during your stay and we were right there to correct the issues. I am sure that everyone knows that everything is not perfect, but rest assured that we strive for perfection and sometimes we need to fix issues to make it happen. Thank you for reporting that we resolved your issues to your satisfaction.

Your excellent review of the Sedona Summit is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your next stay with us.

La Mesa, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We spent 4 nights at the beautiful Sedona Summit Resort! The views in most of the units are breathtaking. We walked out of our room each day only to be greeted by an amazing red rock formation that seemed to change color with the sun and the clouds.
The room was very nice, beautiful kitchen and bathroom, comfortable bed! The unit had a washer and dryer, a shower and large jacuzzi tub, and a bar to sit at as well as a nice dining area. We enjoyed most of our meals at "home" and saved a lot of money by shopping at the Safeway nearby. We had a wonderful Italian meal at Dahl & Di Luca's in town. We also enjoyed a day of hiking and a visit to NAU! The Resort had plenty of pools and jacuzzis to enjoy as well!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor on the rim of the property facing west or North.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We appreciate your four night stay with us.

More important I am glad that you took in all the locations and views that the Sedona Summit has to offer. If you are in a unit with a view (as many request) or a room without a view a step outside and a nice walk through our resort is refreshing and rejuvenating. We are west of Sedona and border the forest and red rock mesa.

I appreciate the tip: “Ask for a second floor on the rim of the property facing west or North.” To get this type of unit a Mesa or Sunset unit will need to be reserved and a request before you arrive to see if any are available due to the very high demand for them.

I am glad to read that you had a wonderful trip and we are looking forward to your return back to the Sedona Summit.