“Wonderful Summer Vacation”

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Northern California
“Wonderful Summer Vacation”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

This is our second trip to the Sedona Summit. On our first trip in Dec 09 we stayed in a renovated Studio with no view, but still had an excellent time. This trip we were in a renovated 1 bedroom with a phenomenal view! We did the timeshare presentation again because it saved us so much money on our 4-Wheel expedition on Soldiers Pass and on our Grand Canyon guided tour/trip (both with Red Rock Tours). The concierge lady only initally offered me a savings on the 4-wheel trip to do the presetnation but I also asked for a savings on the Grand Canyon trip. Don't be afraid to ask for incentives. All they can say is no. The presentation is no biggie if you are very clear yet polite about your intentions (We were not buyin) They went a bit over the 90 minutes but it wasn't a big deal. We loved our room. The bed was very comfortable and our son had no complaints about the pull out sofa. The kitchen is equipped pretty well but next time I think I'd pack a really good sharp knife. We did experience technically difficulites with the jet tub and dishwasher. To the resorts credit they did try to remedy both issues during our stay but neither issue got fixed. My husband spoke to the resort manager, Jonathon. He was great and compensated us very fairly for our troubles. Having the washer and dryer was great. It takes regular soap or He soap. My husband and son loved the pools and tried out several different ones. Toward the end of our trip they played a game of pool volleyball with other guests, which they really enjoyed. I really enjoyed reading on the beautiful quiet balcony with a glass of wine...ahhh bliss! We really enjoyed our time in Sedona and were impressed with the Sedona Summit.

1 Thank keybjones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I own with Diamond Resorts, but traded my points through II to get it using less points for a short stay for my mother, aunt and two friends. I first have to say this resort is an embarrassment to Diamond and I was ashamed to even be associated with it after the experience my mother had. I booked this one bedroom unit over 6 months prior. I even called a month ahead of time to confirm the reservation. YET, when she arrived, after 5 hours on a plane, she was told they ran out of rooms. WHAT!!!! So, where was she suppose to sleep- in the freakin lobby!! How does this happen?! The manager JOHNATHAN explained to her and me over the phone that this kind of thing happens because their "system" does not reserve "types" of rooms properly. So, what exactly do you mean "types" of rooms? Do you meant the show-off rooms for people who don't own and the Shawshenk Redemption rooms for people you have already suckered in timeshare? As a consequence they ran out of one bedrooms, like you run out of milk- except you won't find yourself sleepless/homeless in Arizona when you run out of milk. What idiots! Then he says a 2-bedroom checked out early and the party of 4 could stay in that room overnight until the next morning at which time they will be moved to a one bedroom. Ok, so now my mother is Cinderella. He's suggesting she unpack in a spacious lovely 2 bedroom unit, but then get up the next morning after the clock strikes midnight to re-pack, move, and unpack again in a downsized pumpkin of a 1 bedroom unit. Hmmm...I have two degrees and two cetifications in my field, but I don't think I need them to know this deal stinks and this is no consolation prize. But wait, he offers a $75 dinner coupon that apparently from reading the other reviews they probably could have gotten anyway just from listening to their horsecrap timeshare speech. What a rip off! It gets better folks. So, as my mother's party waits around all morning to be moved to another room, the front staff were given TWO cell numbers to call so they can start packing and get ready to move when the one bedroom became available. Well, at noon, my family goes to grab lunch and discovered when they returned they were locked out of their room. When they inquired they were told their keys expired at noon. Wow, this really does sound like Cinderella. Now explain to me why they would ALLOW their keys to be expired BEFORE they were even assigned a new room. No calls were made to the TWO cell numbers warning them or anything. Just plain locked out. Thank God they didn't step out in their jammies or boxers to grab the paper or they would have been s.o.l. It still keeps getting better. Then they moved them to a one bedroom that was so dirty that my aunt had an allergic reaction. They said they didn't have time to clean the room, but then the manager (good ol JOHNATHAN) sent a dirtbuster squad to the rescue and "supposedly" used baking soda on the floor and wiped everything down with vinegar and water. His response to all of this was "you did nothing wrong, it's our fault, and I guess we just have different standards." First of all, there was never any doubt this was your fault dude. Second, how much to rent that dirtbuster squad cuz it's too damn hot to be cleaning my house right now. Why didn't he use them the first time around! Maybe you have to ask by request. Thirdly, different standards!!! Are you serious? I'm sorry, I'm no wealthy dutchess of Earl, so my standards are just slightly above Motel 6 and this place was worse. How can you be a manager of an establishment and take such things so lightly and nonchalant? How can you know your "system" has an overbooking problem and not fix it immediately before people end up on the street? These places are more concerned about being full to capacity than they are about customer service and the devastation being greedy can weigh. My mother will probably never travel again based on this incompetency. She hasn't traveled in 20 years. She is a wealthy old retired woman with money to burn and they have missed the boat. She will tell her crabby old rich friends and so on and so on. And in this economy folks like my mother spend their money on sure things. Word of mouth cuts sales deeper than any fly in the soup, or a cockroach (as I read in a previous review). Ewww...shame on you Sedona Summit. Shame on you Diamond Resorts. And that is why Hilton, Marriot, and the Wynn family will always be one up on you, because of experiences like this and no one taking the power of the people seriously. I hope everyone reads this and refer to it if you ever book with them. Share it and forward it. I give credit when credit is due and this place is a disaster. And JOHNATHAN needs fired!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
15 Thank Lamcee1
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We traded into this timeshare property and were excited about visiting the Sedona area for the first time. After reading all of the reviews on this site I have to say I was a bit worried about what we were going to encounter. Thankfully, it's been a wonderful experience so far (we are still on site!).

First off, the location is wonderful. The Summit is at the southwest edge of Sedona, away from the hustle and bustle of the town, but close enough to get to anything we want easily. We have a beautiful view of the red rocks from the property, although not from our room. That's fine though. The buildings are attractive, done in the low, adobe style common in the area. The hospital is immediately next door, and there are plenty of restaurants and even a Safeway within a half mile. We have a refurbished 1BR plus the lock-out next door. The 1BR unit has a queen bed, a queen fold-out couch, kitchen, dining room, gas fireplace, and a bathroom with a full whirlpool tub and separate shower. We also have a stacked washer and dryer in the room. The lock-out is an efficiency (right now it's the "apartment" for my teenaged sons) with a queen bed, queen couch and an efficiency kitchen. It has its own bath with shower. Our rooms were spotless and well appointed, with extra pillows and blankets, plenty of kitchen items (although no supplies except a day of coffee) and lots of large pool towels. The kitchen as a stove, microwave, fridge with ice maker, blender, toaster, coffee maker, etc. Everything we need except the food! The beds are VERY comfortable, and the AC works great. There is also ample closet space in both of the rooms, including a walk-in in the master bedroom. The main unit has flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom, and the lock-out has a standard CRT tv.

The property has plenty of swimming pools and hot tubs, including an adults only pool right next to our unit. The pools are a good temperature and clean. At the main building (where check-in is) there is also a wonderful recreation facility and a decent sized workout room with locker rooms. The recreation facility has plenty to do for our kids, including ping pong, foosball, bumper pool, games, DVD rentals and even a wii. No complaints here at all.

Check-in was a breeze, and the staff was very courteous. They DO send you to the "concierge" after checking in, who inquires about your plans as a guise to suggest you attend their timeshare presentation ("you want to do a jeep trip? we can save you $100 if...). The "concierge" was polite but insistent, and after several "no thank you's" and explaining that I already own property and am not interested in more, we were on our way. Now, there are only two negatives we encountered here. The first was when we walked into our room and saw a small cockroach in the entry way. Immediately killed, we were concerned about finding others. Nothing yet, and no signs anywhere of there being any (no residue in dark corners of cabinets and closets, etc....I looked). The second "negative" is the 9:30am call we got each of our first two mornings asking us to attend their timeshare presentation and offering us items..like Amex gift cards, etc. Well, at 9:30 am after a long day of sight-seeing, only about 1/2 of us were out of bed! I was not happy, and explained each time that I was not interested. The second time I told them they woke us up and asked that the not call us again. The "concierge" acklowledged our request and said "we won't call you in the morning anymore". Great...how they'll call me in the evening (eyeroll). To combat this I have unplugged the phone in each unit. :)

Just a few comments on other items. First of all, the service was great when we asked for a couple of items. We needed an extra blanket and they arrived with one in about 5 minutes (tipped a few $, which accepted with a smile). Second, there IS internet access on the property. As stated in other reviews, there are two computers in the main lobby area where you can check your email, etc. Each time I've been through there someone has been on at least one machine, but I never saw a line or issue. An even better choice is ATT wifi. We have 5 bars in our room, and the cost is $29.95 for a week if you don't already have an ATT wifi account. I have found this connection to be reliable and speedy. It's a relatively inexpensive Internet option for guests.

All in all we are loving this vacation. We've done the Montezuma's Well and Castle ruins about 20 minutes away, and tomorrow we're taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon. We have no problems recommending this facility to visitors, just be forewarned about the persistence of the resort staff in trying to get you into timeshare presentations. Hold your ground, and enjoy the great property.

1 Thank sdmike1
Reno
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Overall it was a good suite hotel timeshare thing. We had a nice one bedroom suite/condo and it was nice. The carpet was outdated and paint was peeling off around the areas of the door handles. The main door would stick and was not that easy to close. The coffee maker's filter had mold in it (I travel a lot so I check these things).

We had a nice view of the parking lot LOL but that did not bother me too much as we only used this suite to sleep after a tired day of exploring. The pools were nice for the hour we were in it.

Timeshare presentation, well with all the freebies they gave us to attend this thing I went in with an open mind and to get some information. It IS HIGH PRESSURE first and foremost. I left there feeling I was the worst dad in the world for not providing my family with the best possible vacations every year. Needless to say they want 10% down and something like 17.9% interest on 32,000. Good for those that can afford the payment each month, not so good for me. We went in at 9:30am and finally got out of there after the 3rd person tried to get us to buy the bottom line non membership membership thing at around 12:00 noon. Thought the backdoor I might add LOLOLOL!.

Nice resort, beautiful town and area. If you have never been there I would recommend the sedona area.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 June 2010

The property is rated as a premier resort with Interval International. The Sedona Summit is not a premier resort!!!

We called a week prior to arrival to request a top floor, renovated condo facing the mesa rocks and they stated they would note the request, but could make no promises. Upon arrival we were greeted and given our room keys, but told we would have to go over to the concierge desk to get our parking permit. The concierge representative was very pushy trying to get us to sign up for area activities and attend a timeshare presentation at the resort. We told her we needed to do some research first and were not interested in attending a timeshare presentation, but she continued to be extremely pushy and rude. We did not schedule any activities through the concierge due to our first impression. We had read reviews of the resort online and it warned of the concierge representatives were extremely pushy.

We ended up with a second floor condo, with no view. One deck would have had a view, but the view was completely obstructed by a pine tree. You could turn your head and peak through the limbs to see the view. The other deck faced the registration building roof and overlooked the registration parking area.

The kitchen was sparsely supplied. The washing detergent bottle was about one-third full, there were three packets of dishwasher detergent and the Brillo pad had been cut in half (left in half the wrapper). The utensils were very sparse. I had to go to the front desk to request a spatula. The one is the condo was white plastic and looked like it had been used to excavate dirt. There were only four washcloths per bathroom, which were suppose to last until the fourth day when housekeeping came to tidy up. There was one dish rag and one kitchen towel. There were suppose to be four coffeemaker filters, but there was only one. There was about a half roll of paper towels left in the condo. We understand not being wasteful, but I assume owners at the Sedona Summit pay sufficient maintenance fees to insure the condos are appropriately stocked. This resort, in no way, should be rated as premier!!

The beds in both rooms of the condo were not comfortable. The beds had only flat sheets on them, no bottom fitted sheet. We had to remake the bed due to the bottom sheet not covering the mattress pad on the bed. When housekeeping cleaned the room on Thursday they removed the dirty washcloths, towels and bath mats, but only replaced the dirty towels. We had to call and request washcloths and bath mats. The washing machine in the unit would not wring the water out of the clothes, thus drying the clothes took at least two hours.

The master bedroom did not have a clock in it.

Internet service was only available at a charge.

Overall, you can tell we were extremely disappointed in the Sedona Summit! Sedona is such a beautiful area and I truly hate we had such a bad experience at the Sedona Summit.

• Stayed May 2010
12 Thank 2010_Travelers
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2010

This IS a timeshare so if you don't like the sales pitch, don't go, or say NO. We had an unupdated unit which was still nice. It was clean, comfy and well maintained. The area was quiet and on the outside of town. They are doing some updating and minor maintenance so there was a little to no noise at all. The bed was great with plenty of pillows and the views of the Red Rocks were great. Overall a very good resort and we were verry happy.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We have been to SS 3 times now and have never had a bad stay. We already own with Diamond Resorts and have attended 3 of their sales presentations so we are well aware of the pressure, but we only attend to get the freebies and they quickly give up on us.
The last time we were there we met up with another couple and it was a wonderful week!
We've been to Sedona so many times that we no longer do any of the touristy things, choosing instead to attend the farmers market, hike some trails and check out the thrift shops.
I LOVE the units that are more newly built with their views, marble countertops, jacuzzi tub and fireplaces. We have also stayed in the studio lockouts and have enjoyed them as well.
There is nothing that you will lack at this resort in the way of inside amenities and the site amenities outside. It is a just a pleasant refreshing place to get away from it all and this resort makes it even more special.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple