“Great Little Place”
Review of Matterhorn Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Matterhorn Inn
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
gilbert,az
“Great Little Place”
Reviewed 5 September 2008

I had read reviews on this place before we booked it. The room was not a disappointment. We were in the heart of town where you could walk anywhere. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. I was impressed with this place and highly recommend it for anyone who wants to be close to town. I will definetly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dayaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
United States
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Okay, when I booked my stay, I didn't realize it was a motor lodge (alright, I'm dumb), so when my brother and I pulled up and it didn't look like a chic Sedona hotel, I felt a little stupid. It was my first visit to Sedona and I wanted it to go well, very well, in fact. My brother was like, "Dude, it's a motor lodge". "What's that?" "That's where you pull up in front of your hotel room". That letdown dissipated quickly, once we saw our room: beautiful red rock colored bedspreads, a big bedroom and t.v. area, awesome artwork (even in the bathroom), and gigantic sliding door and balcony views . . . of the Sedona cliffs, buttes, mesas, you name it . . . in fact, every single room, upstairs and down has fantastic lookouts on Sedona's impressive beauty.
It turns out that parking in front of your room isn't so bad after all . . . the dark wood and unique features of Matterhorn more than atone for its lack of snobbery, and the eight foot deep pool (yes, eight feet!) was silky cool-warm.
No one will tell you this but Sedona has a LOT of bugs. But . . . I loved all the giant black moths, woodchucks, brightly colored beetles - one even looked carved out of blue stone, and who has even seen a white beetle with slight brown pinstripes? I haven't!!! The only one I didn't like was the flying red ant. So yes, there are insects, so don't leave your door open for a second or they will be in. Sedona is smack dab in the middle of a ring of wilderness, so every single hotel will have this "problem", but as a nature lover, I liked all the bizarre critters.
Shelly, one of the owners, is beyond cool. Everyone there had smiles . . . just the attitude of Sedona was unexpected. I only have one negative thing to say: too many shops! I hate shopping but when I'm on vacation, I'm curious about what local flavors I will experience, plus it gives me the chance to search for Christmas gifts. Well, I started getting hooked on it and it got a little ridiculous. But a very positive experince for me was when I went shopping at Joe Wilcox Trading Post. They didn't have baskets, so when I asked, the middle aged clerks there gave me a store bag to put trinkets and shirts in WHILE I shopped because I didn't want to carry everything!!! Have you EVER been trusted like that before? When I paid for everything, I just dumped it all out, they rang it up and put it right back in the same store bag!
Conveniently, small (and quiet) buses pull up to Matterhorn to wisk you about Sedona. I had my own car but I thought that this was quite nice for others. My brother and I like to hike: imagine how nice it was to just hang an immediate right, another right for about a mile, then hook a left and be at multiple trail heads. We traveled up one path . . . it was so quiet, you could hear swirls of air about you and find large flat rocks to eat candy on, or lay in the warm sunshine. We joked that we had found our own vortex without finding the famous ones.
I could sum up the topography of Sedona in one sentence: It looks like you are IN the Grand Canyon, instead of above it. I've seen places that are more beautiful (North Africa/Egypt along the coast: imagine bright blue water with desolate brown sugar-crumbling sand islands and absolutely no people whatsoever, but I digress . . . ) but the geography is surprisingly diverse in its greenery.

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank Forgottensage
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2008

So, when we booked the Matterhorn, we were a little concerned because the pictures made it look like a generic Motel 6/Super 8 type of general roadside motel. We trusted the reviews we read, which indicated it was a very nice place for the price.

The reviews somewhat understated the matter.

We're talking Sedona, so first, the view: it's excellent. We were on the second (and top) floor, but the way the place is built, you're going to have a beautiful view from either floor. All rooms have balconies facing the exact same way, so there's no chance you'll be looking at someone's backyard. One caveat: you will also be looking, in part, at some retail across the street, but luckily, everything in Sedona is done relatively tastefully, so it's your choice whether to stare at an earth-toned restaurant or red earth - probably 2/3 of your view is red rock.

You get the view of retail because the hotel is "downtown". Don't freak. Downtown Sedona is rather quiet, and the sidewalks pretty much roll up at...6pm. Seriously. Noise and congestion are not issues.

The room was extremely nice and plenty big. The bed was excellent. There's a good-sized flat screen TV in the room, along with a little refrigerator. Sitting on your balcony and staring out at Snoopy Rock is awesome.

The rest was nice too - the staff was very friendly. There's a pool area with a fire pit and a pool that was heated to an appropriate temperature. There's no nickel and diming, just a 75 cent soda machine.

We'll be back.

• Liked — In an expensive resort town, the price was right with absolutely no downside.
  • Disliked — I wish downtown stayed open a little longer - it would have been nice to be able to shop a little more after a full day of hiking.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ucla84
San Diego
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I agree with the positive Tripadvisor reviews for the Matterhorn. The location is excellent, with great views. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable, staff is good and rates are very reasonable. The beautiful Sedona area is quite commercial, though what popular tourist destination isn't and there is ongoing road and highway construction. During our 3 day stay we experienced meals that ranged from mediocre at the Javelina Cantina to absolutely delicious lemon ricotta pancakes at The Wild Flower. We plan to return and will certainly stay at the Matterhorn.

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Haolie
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I would have to agree what a great location, right on Main Street where all the action is till about 8, then whole town closes shop! We stayed two nights in a large, king size room, it was the last room on top floor by the church. This place is spotless and very comfortable. Yeah the bathroom is small but remodeled and CLEAN! Like the other review who cares you are there to enjoy the Red Rocks, which we did! We took the Pink Jeep tour, fanastic!!! Matterhorn had a 10% discount coupon. Will was our driver, he was a trip!!! Very knowledgeable and eager to share it all! We enjoyed the Matterhorn so much we booked another night on the way back from the Grand Canyon! We had another room upstairs that was even bigger with a flat screen and sky light! The beds, linens, towels are great! Great value!!!

2 Thank citylady
bakersfield, california
Reviewed 11 June 2008

My husband decided on a little trip to Sedona after researching on trip advisor. What a find! We loved the Matterhorn Inn. THe staff was welcoming. Our room was clean and comfy. The bed a gem and all the linens were freshly laundered. A plus for me. The pool was sparkling and warm. Everything is a short walking distance. Be forewarned, EVERYTHING closes EARLY!! Do your shopping and strolling before 7pm!!
We most definitely will be back very soon!
PS. Must try the jeep excursion through Farrabee's Rentals. Helpful staff and what a great way to experience Sedona. Can't wait to come back.

• Liked — overall cleanliness inside and out
  • Disliked — quite thin walls.
2 Thank basquegal
Goodyear, Az
Reviewed 8 June 2008

What can I say.......This hotel is right where you want to be....you are footsteps from all the great shops and food. The hotel staff is very friendly and go the extra mile to help you. we had our A/C go out and within 30 minutes it was fixed and are willing to help 24/7...The only issue with this hotel is the small bathrooms but your not here to hang out in there. I recommend requesting a top floor for optimal views...Pool here was very clean and kept and a temperature relative to the air temperature. We will definately be staying here again

• Liked — Everything......not one thing stands out that I dont like
  • Disliked — really nothing
2 Thank apd1037