“Nice Resort but Beware Small Units & Poor Internet Reception”

Sedona Pines Resort
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My wife and I spent a week at Sedona Pines with our 7 yr-old son. The location is good as it is a quick 5 minute ride to the heart of Sedona. We stayed in a one bedroom cottage. Each cottage is essentially a modular home with a deck outside. If it was maybe one foot wider it would've been so much easier to maneuver around. Two adults can barely pass each other in the kitchen and getting around the foot of the bed was a tight squeeze. My son slept in the couchbed and that was fine, but I wouldn't recommend using a one bedroom for any more than 2 adults and one or two small children as it would just be too cramped. The two-bedroom units are interesting because the 2nd bedroom is a separate building across from the deck. One couple we met had an 8 yr-old daughter and had a 2 bedroom but didn't feel comfortable letting her sleep in essentially her own cottage, so consider this if you're booking. The units seemed quite clean and the kitchen supplies were quite sufficient. The fact that each unit is free-standing is nice noise-wise. No slamming hotel doors or hearing other people's tv through the wall.
The one time I called maintenance with a request the response was immediate.
Front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Pool area was never too crowded and they play decent soft rock music through the speakers. There are three outdoor hot tubs, including one in an area that is adults only.
The lack of wireless internet across the entire location is inexcusable in 2010. We had to carry our laptop down the road to a "common area" to get a signal. I understand vacation isn't supposed to be about lingering over your computer, most people like to check in on hometown news, send pictures from the trip to family, etc.
There is an independently owned & operated restaurant on site whose prices were a joke. We would've considered at least breakfast there a couple times that week if the prices weren't ridiculous. When at the pool one day my wife ran in and got a fountain soda for my son and it was close to $3.00.
The free 18 hole mini golf was a real treat and provided for hours of entertainment during our stay. The course itself is kept very clean of debris but most of the golf clubs were a little wobbly.

1  Thank Jeffy3

Reviewed 5 September 2010

I have been going to time share properties for almost 30 years and I can say without hesitation that this is the worst rip-off/least timeshare place that I have ever stayed in! The one bedroom unit is extremely tiny and claustrophobic. The interior was nicely appointed but there is literally no space in which to walk around. There is one very small closet in the tiny bedroom and the kitchen is a small hallway/pass-through between the sofa area and the one bedroom area. My suitcase took up one side of the bedroom! I wish that I had done what I always do before planning a trip and consulted Trip Advisor-I would have known not to book here. But, foolishly, I let my husband plan this vacation. The restaurant is very overpriced as well. I have stayed in other one bedroom time share units but never one this tiny! Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

They did a good job putting in as many units as possible without overcrowding. Very quiet all day & night. No "thin wall" noise, because each unit is separate. The 2nd bdrm is off the deck, but worked well with our teenage boys, but not for young children. water fountains everywhere. Separate hot tub for adults only.. The pool was big & clean, provided plenty of pool towels. Staff was courteous.
Rooms were clean,( no flat screens)
Free laundry bldg. with a tv & bathroom while you wait.
Outdoor movies 2x week at poolside at night. Had a few activities during the week.
Sun. morn free brunch while you listen to the tour guides' presentation, although the worse scramble eggs I ever ate!
I would have liked to stay closer to town.

Reviewed 30 August 2010

We were here on a RCI exchange for the second time. Yes, they are trailers but they are nicely disguised and come well equipped. We had a two bedroom unit at the end by a water feature (#111). The basic trailer is supposed to be for 4 people with 2 sleeping on the sofa bed - that would be very crowded unless they are little children! We were glad to have the second bedroom which is in a separate trailer. There is no wiring for computer in the trailer but they have 2 for public use in the office. No one bothered us about timeshare even once - not even on check in. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. No request seemed too small for them. We own an Acura MDX and had trouble parking it due to the tree outside our unit. One call to the office sent the landscapers to us and they cut the tree so that I could park under it - rather than half out in the road. The fitness center is small but had a treadmill, bike, and some weights so I was happy. There was a large flat screen tv in there to watch while working out. Access to the room is with your room card.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed a week at Sedona Pines in a 2 bedroom. It worked out great. My husband, myself and two kids (ages 22 and 21). Yes, they are small places but very nicely laid out and very clean. Our purpose was not to sit in there all day anyhow. The place is beautiful, nice work out facility (small but adequate for vacation!) and the pool was perfect. They offered various things to do at the resort and were not pushy at all about the sales speech. We even used the laundry facility, which was free and convenient. A few choices of hot tubs around the place, too. Sedona Pines is a few miles outside of Sedona and it doesn't take long to get into town. The ride in is breathtaking. We ate at the restaurant one night and the food was great. It was a little pricey though. The girls at the bar were great and very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank kmchugh61
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We just got back from a 6 day stay. I have 4 small kids (7, 10, 10 & 12) and believe it or not I stayed in the 1 bedroom! I had 2 on the pull out couch and 2 on twin blow up mattresses beside and at the foot of the pull out. Worked out great!
Checked out their website before booking on RCI and found they had a special going on; so I paid $85 for 2 nights and received 2 adult jeep tours and a $25 certificate to the restaurant when you take the tour. The wife and I took the tour first thing, first day to get it out of the way. 2 hours later I had my jeep tour and restaurant certificates in had and didn't buy a thing. Packed some lunches and went to see some things.
Having a full kitchen really helped save a lot of money. There is a full stove, full fridge and a BBQ. We made breakfast and lunch’s everyday before heading out, I used the BBQ 2 times and the stove once for dinners. I used the restaurant certificate for breakfast burritos for 6 one morning. The waitress noted that the certificate said dine in only; but was nice enough to let me do them to go. We used the Jeep tour certificate on another day, saving us another $100!
The place is quiet, even with my kids!! They loved the miniature golf and pool, the jacuzzi was nice for us. On day 5 the free laundry REALLY came in handy. We had a missing bedroom remote, it was there within 10 minutes. The next day we couldn't get the front room DVD player to work, they replaced it within 10 minutes; both of these were after 8 p.m. Need towels? Here you go. Coffee? Right there, sir. Computer with printer for directions and other stuff I wanted to see, no problems.
The staff is friendly and helpful. The concierge was helpful and informative with itineraries for day trips to Grand Canyon and the best jeep tours for us (The Jeep tour guide was great and very knowledgeable; the kids and I all agree it was the best part of the vacation)
Overall as a place to lay your weary head between seeing Native American ruins, ghost towns, meteor craters, petrified forests, painted deserts, trading posts, the Grand Canyon and of course the beautiful red rocks of Sedona, with your 4 kids and your limited budged; Sedona Pines is a great place to do it.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

Sendona pines is a nice trailer park, however don't get roped into a time-share/points tour for a "free" gift. My sister and I traded in a week of time-share to stay at the resort...i mean trailer park. We were told at check-in that since my sister is single she qualifies for a "free" gift if she takes the tour - I didn't qualify because I was married and my husband was not with but could come with for moral support. So, we spent our morning waiting and going thru the tour to find out 1 hour into the tour that she didn't qualify due to living with her boyfriend who was not on vacation with us. There is no fine print before you sign-up for the tour...so "just say no!"

• Stayed: August 2010