“Can't wait to go back”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We just stayed at this hotel and we loved it. Our room was right on the green belt near the pool area. With two boys 8 and 9, this was the perfect spot to be. The room was nice and big. The staff was Very friendly and helpful. Complimentary drinks were available all the time and since the hotel is down an incline they always had a free shuttle to take us up to the Main Street. They also shuttled us to dinner and picked us up. The views were spectacular. Maid service was spot on and we always had enough towels (one of my main issues with most places). Looking forward to returning to Sedona and the Amara Resort and Spa.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Pat D,
See you soon!!!
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. We are ecstatic that you and your family had such a wonderful time. I will share your great comments with the team here. We can’t wait for you to return either.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I celebrated my birthday in Sedona and stayed at Amara. Even before I arrived the concierge was great and helped me reserve tours and reservations. The hotel is small, but charming. My bed was soft and very comfortable. I like the inifinity pool and jacuzzi. Sometimes it could be crowded, but I didn't mind that. It located near lots of shops and stores and the Hundred Roxx restaurant has good food. I had a wonderful stay in Sedona and at Amara.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

SP_DC_12,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your birthday celebration at the Amara. We are thrilled that you had such an incredible visit and will share your comments with the team here. We hope that we get the opportunity to see prior to your next birthday.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This property is dated, but much of Sedona is dated. There are few true luxury properties in Sedona and this is not one of them. It IS a solid 3 star hotel. If you go n expecting that you will be very pleased. If you come to Sedona looking for a budget you will stay in a dive. The Amara resort is comfortable and has nice amenities like valet parking, room service, wifi, a great pool. It is also right on Oak Creek which is nice. We stayed in room 256 which was literally over the creek.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billyphx

BillyPHX,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about the Amara. You make a very valid point but we hope over the next year you will see some positive changes to the property. The Amara was recently purchased by Kimpton Hotels in Mid June and over the next year will renovate our guest rooms and parts of the lobby/restaurant. We are excited to have a Kimpton property in Sedona and hope that you will return to us next time you travel to the area.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

So I start out with the negative just so that you can decide for yourself if its important to you or not. The bed was SUPER hard and uncomfortable. I didn't get one good nights sleep in the three nights my husband and I stayed. Also the pillows are so soft that they go flat as soon as you put your head on it. We both had to used three pillows a piece just to make it work. That being said, the hotel and grounds are gorgeous! The rooms are spacious and pretty, the hot tub and pool is awesome, they serve complimentary wine and sangria in the lobby at night and also have a guest singer on the patio each night! Its wonderful! I just wish I slept better while I was there :(

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Emily C

EmilyC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about the Amara. I am so sorry that you didn’t sleep well during your stay. That is very disappointing. I know how important a good nght's rest is to our guests. That is certainly something we can and will address so thank you for bringing it to you our attention. The property was recently purchased by Kimpton Hotels, in Mid June and over the next year we will be renovating the guest rooms and property. I will certainly share your wonderful comments about the rest of the property with the team here.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have now stayed with the Amara twice. Once with prior ownership and most recently with Kimpton being the new management. I was pleased both times and did notice some changes for the better of course. The staff at Amara is kind, helpful and authentic. Amara is an elegant establishment with a solid personality throughout the staff. Benjamin's staff with the dining are hard-working and pleasant folks. Ben was very attentive and helped me with anything I was looking for in and around Sedona. He is a great manager and wonderful host to guests and his staff. Joseph the valet gentlemen was always friendly especially during my last stay which was the hottest weekend in Sedona. He always was smiling and friendly. He was helpful on my departure out back to Chicago as I need directions and advice to take the back way through Prescott and Jerome for one last adventure and he was 'johnny on the spot'. The spa experience is wonderful and accomadating. I returned to have another massage from Jason, whom has just the right touch! He knows how to custom a massage for someone to relax after travel, work stress and still benefit the entire body.The Yoga instructors were so pleasant and made the day start off in a great way. Nice to meet other folks in the resort as well. Lastly, I had to return to hear an amazing man on the guitar, Anthony Mazzella. The Amara has just the man to play to many hearts to enjoy relaxing and fun original songs. Anthony always is pleasant to the guests and demonstrates his passion through his remarkable tunes. Overall, Amara has a spot in my heart for it is clean, elegant, well managed but most importantly has an authentic personality/vibe with the staff and the musicians they have creating an excellent experience for anyone to come and see for themselves.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, do not choose one by the pool. Creeside rooms are divine and quite pleas...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Small hotel, small lobby, small rooms. Not sure if their AC was working, but they kept their lobby uncomfortably warm. The restaurant is also ridiculously expensive and refused to eat there. One lady at the front desk was impersonal and seemed disinterested. Do not count on their shuttle service. We called for pickup twice and still hadn't seen them, I decided to run down to the hotel and see what was up - the driver was just socializing with one of the front desk girls and just said, ' sorry- not sure what happened '. Idiots!
Would not recommend

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I booked three nights at the Amara Resort and Spa thinking I would have a quiet, relaxing stay. I have been here one night and my stay has been anything but quiet and relaxing. The view from the pool is beautiful, but the pool is constantly filled with kids and their pool toys. There are not enough lounge chairs and the noise level at the pool is unlike anything I've ever experienced. The pool opens at 7am and would be wonderful if there were adult only hours. However, families rush down to the pool first thing to secure chairs and cabanas (which have fans and TVs of all things!) so there is really no time for someone to enjoy the beautiful Sedona scenery with a little peace and quiet. I was quite disappointed with the view from my room which looked at a cabin behind the hotel.

I guess this hotel was just nothing like I expected. When I think of Sedona, I think of a peaceful, relaxing place with breathtaking views. Unfortunately, if you want those things, do not stay at the Amara Resort & Spa. You will get a gorgeous view from the pool but are likely to be splashed by a kid doing a cannon ball into the water. The pool is also small and really only comfortably accommodates 15 people.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margie V

MargieV,
Greetings from Beautiful Sedona,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about the property. I am sorry it was not the experience you expected. Kimpton recently purchased this property and will certainly doing renovations of the guest rooms as well as add seating to the pool area in the next year. We are certainly a very family friendly property, as everyone wants to share in the beauty of Sedona. Your feedback is certainly helpful and we will use it as we move forward to improve upon service levels and our guest experience. I certainly apologize your stay has not been relaxing. The spa is a great place to relax and rejuvenate the mind and body.. There is daily yoga every morning at 8:30AM,, you can take a nice hot steam or even just relax and read in the relaxation room.