“Some glitches but nice place”

Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
North Carolina
“Some glitches but nice place”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Had a few glitches in service but the hotel overall is fairly nice. The bed was comfortable and I slept really well. My room was also very quiet, set off away from the noise but the walls are thin so you'll hear voices and bumps and people walking out in the hall.

The location is great, just down the hill from all the shops lining 89A. The hotel restaurant, Hundred Rox, was also pretty good. I had breakfast and dinner there and both were good. Valet parking is included in the room rate so you don't have to find a place for your car in that really tight circle they call the entrance. They have a shuttle that'll take you anywhere within a mile of the hotel so you don't have to climb that steep hill.

Hotel is small but it has the amenities of a large resort. The spa is right next door and offers plenty of relaxation. Loved the small fitness center and it was usually empty when I used it. The wine reception is great. The day I went, it was French wines. And they even offer snacks too. The coffee that was set up in the morning was so convenient because there isn't a coffee maker in the room and the restaurant doesn't open for breakfast until 7AM. I just wish they had a selection of green tea. The stuff they had was ok but none of it was green tea.

The service glitches? Well I had a little trouble getting my car once. Valet guys seemed a little disorganized and it took way too long for them to get it. The front desk people were nice but a couple of them had attitude, like you're bugging them by asking a question or *gasp* checking out!

I go to Sedona a lot so I'll probably try this place again. I hope they work out some of the problems with the front desk attitude and the valet parking. This place could be great like some of the other hotels in the Kimpton group.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MollyMick
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Mollymick,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit.
Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated and valuable to improving our service levels. Sorry for the delay in retrieving the vehicle.
The shuttle is a great way to get around town.
We can always put a coffee maker in room for all your stays if you would like.... Its nice to have the first cup of coffee in the morning so you can have that energy for the fitness center before heading out into the lobby Then on the way back fromto your room after working out, grab a cup of coffee or tea from the coffee bar in the lobby. Thank you for helping us raise our game. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Amara Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Very nice place. Oasis off the main street. Property was inviting and the beds were comfortable. Food was great although drinks were a little pricey. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definetly return to this spot.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
food_roadie,
Thank you taking the time to share your experience and for the kind words. I am ecstatic to hear that you that enjoyed your time in Sedona. It truly is an incredible and unique place. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We found the Amara on tripadvisor and took a chance since it looked so beautiful. The staff is the nicest most helpful group I can remember. The rooms are wonderful, we had one over the pool with a view of the creek. Loved the courtyard with the fire pits at night.
Highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: 2nd floor with creek view.
Green Features: Very environmentally friendly, it is Sedona so it almost has to be.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Midwestfamily195,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your kind words about the team. We are very fortunate to have great people that love what they do and where they do it. Recently we became a Kimpton property which we are extremely excited about and hope our guests are as well. Kimpton will continue to invest money into the property, specifically the guest rooms and lobby area (renovation coming this spring/summer). Regardless, we will continue to strive to raise the bar for the level of service in Sedona so our guests feel the value of being at a Kimpton. We hope to see you next time you are in Sedona.
Warm regards,
seattle
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Really beautiful and convenient location next to the creek with views of the mountains beyond the pool/courtyard area. Very helpful staff. Didn't eat at the restaurant so no comment there. The rooms are tiny however, and the "patio" is a 2' x 3' piece of concrete with two tiny chairs. Our room had no view but was right next to the utility outhouse, so the patio was worthless unless you want to listen to HVAC units buzz. Fortunately the courtyard and firepits saved us and we did enjoy the Relaxation Hour with free wine by the fire.

I also would expect coffee makers in the room, I don't want to have to get dressed to walk to the lobby for free coffee in the am. I want it in my jammies, in my room. For the price (expensive), I expect more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
mammaseatle
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent visit. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your room location and lack of coffee maker in the guest rooms. I I’m sorry we didn’t offer to put a coffee maker in your room and you can even add that to your Kimpton in Touch profile. Kimpton In Touch is free to join and you receive complimentary wifi, $10 towards raid the Bar, and other additional perks. The courtyard and pool area is great place to relax and enjoy the beauty of the red rocks or star gaze. Also, next spring/summer we will be renovating the guest rooms and lobby area.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I chose this hotel because it was pet friendly. I was then happily surprised by how nice it is. It is a small property, but with all the amenities of a larger property.

The rooms were clean, modern, and comfortable.

The location is great. Right next to all the little shops and restaurants.

We went on 2 tours and both picked up AT Amara, which was great.

The view was beautiful. Pool was heated and there was a jacuzzi that was nice to sit in.

The restaurant at the hotel has a good variety and is "good", but not great, however, the service is fantastic!

To get free internet, simply sign up for Kimpton In Touch Membership. With this you also get $10 to spend at the mini bar.

Room Tip: ground level was nice and easier to get to.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank deborahanne312
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As i searched for places to stay in Sedona there were 2 things that drew me to the Amara, one was the positive reviews and the second was the Kimpton name. Although i have only stayed in one Kimpton Hotel (in New York City) i was well aware of what the brand was all about and the Amara is certainly a place that not only met but exceeded my expectations.
Firstly about the establishment: for those that want seclusion but to be close to the quant atmosphere of the town i can think of nowhere better. The rooms were spotless, well equipped, it has a great pool with tented cabanas, fire pits with outdoor heated dining tables. The spa is a great place to relax. The restaurant has great food (the shrimp nachos are simply wonderful) and the service was impeccable to the point that most times multiple staff placed our orders on the table and removed them simultaneously - a nice touch but rarely done even in expensive restaurants who have the habit of taking a persons plate when the last morsel is being popped into your mouth. The views to the rear of the red rocks and the creek running below add to the setting. The valet parking and shuttle to local spots was also a very nice touch.
Lastly i have to make a comment about the staff: I have stayed at hotels around the world but as a group it would be hard to find a more pleasant and helpful team, in particular J.B., Emily and Joey. Thanks Amara, as Arnie says "We will be back".

Room Tip: We stayed in the creekside rooms and it was worth the upgrade for the seclusion.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This was a beautiful hotel, the view from the pool was amazing the pool it self was gorgeous.

The room was great, we got in at 2 am, everyone was nice... But the resort fee is annoying, I mean It has a pool and bicycles it lends. It did not include the internet in the resort fee.

The hotel is multiple small buildings attached by a walkways. So we were on the end building, we could see the pool from our room, but there was no easy way to the pool except by making a walk back to the same building.

Everyone is nice and pleasant, but I still find paying a required resort fee that does not include internet very annoying.

I gave them 5 stars because my complaint is too petty to knock them down a star

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank TravelingwithTwins4
travelingwithtwins4,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Amara. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the resort fee. The resort fee does include valet parking, daily yoga class, access to the steam room in the spa, and shuttle service to the restaurants and shops within a mile radius of the property. I apologize if this was not mentioned to you during the reservation process or at check-in. Internet is complimentary for Kimpton in-Touch members, which is free to join and you receive $10 towards raid the bar as well.