“Not a resort - beware of the extra daily fees”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I agree with a previous reviewer, this would be a Holiday Inn in any other setting. I booked this hotel because of the view from the hot tub, which is spectacular. However, note the following if you want to stay here. There is a left and right wing - Avoid at all costs the left wing. This is were I stayed. Thankfully I was on the top floor. Even so, the view is a parking lot and there is an incredibility loud generator that is on 24/7 from the holiday apartments passed the parking lot. It is loud and sleep is near impossible, I requested to be moved to the creekside. There are only 4 rooms on the left wing that are creekside, so make sure you request one of those. I was not on the ring wing so have no idea what the setting is like there.

It is centrally located which is nice but, all in all, if you have a car and you are interested in taking walks, you really don't need to be in the 'center' of town. Don't get your hopes up, the view is great from the hot tub, the rooms are average at best.

There is no coffee in rooms so you have to go into the lobby in you PJ's to get a cup which is annoying, and the cups are small. The gym is okay for away from home use.

Also, annoying is that the charge a 'resort fee' of $20 per day, on top of your room fee! I had no idea about this until I checked out. The fee is useless - I'm not sure why the charge this as it is not a resort and the only extra is the hot tub, gym and pool which most hotels have. There is a tiny 'spa' in the parking lot if that counts.

The only thing it has going for it is the view from the hot tub. But I'm sure there are cheaper places in Sedona with comparable views.

I say try any of the other resorts in Sedona before this one.

Room Tip: Avoid the left wing - the view is a parking lot and there is a loud generator 24/7.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank trek8080
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

An unexpected and hidden (location) retreat in the heart of everything. Updated and comfortable,
Lovely backyard with peaceful atmosphere, Friendly people and reasonable food.
Originally we planned to stay just a night, but stayed 3 days:),
Would love to stay here again next time I am in Sedona

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We spent one night at the Amara Reort & Spa in Sedona and wish we had booked a week. It is an incredibly beautiful resort with all the extras we've come to love from the Kimpton hotels. The pool and courtyard is absolutely breath-taking. The staff is friendly, helpful and the food in the restaurant is second to none. Try the braised rib...you will not be disappointed.

We can't wait to go back. Love the Kimpton properties!

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard room if you want amazing views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

As a Bed and Brakfast owner in Hawaii, I am picky about my bedding, food, service etc.
Besides being located ideally by the stream with beautiful views, this place provided ORGANIC food for our Orenda Gold School. I was so impressed that they went to the trouble of paying extra to provide excellent meals. The service was impeccable with unexpected little extras. I highly recommend the Amara Hotel!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good to me.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The hotel is well located - they have a courtesy car to deliver you into the town and collect you to bring you back, probably because it is a bit of a hike up from the hotel which is down by the creek.
We had a creek side room which was good quality.
The outstanding thing was the very high quality of the Yoga Teachers providing the free daily Yoga sessions. The gym, and hot-tub were also fine. The pool looked good but wasn't in use because it was being maintained.

Room Tip: Creek side rooms are worthwhile
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We came from Phoenix Palomar to Amara. As Phoenix Palomar was spectacular, I may have had high expectations for Amara. While the staff in Amara were absolutely great and we received top-notch service from each and everyone we encountered, my peeve is with the room.

I booked a courtyard facing room. I did get a courtyard facing room, unfortunately my view was completely blocked by a Cabana. Turned out it was the utility Cabana where they had stuff stored, therefore the drapes can't be tied up like the other Cabanas to give us a view of the courtyard! The front desk staff tried their best to find us a different room. It being the holiday season, the hotel was completely booked and we ended up staying at the room that was assigned to us, but it definitely dampened the mood. To their credit, once I got back and called them up, Kimpton did refund me the difference between a regular room and a courtyard view room, so that was appreciated.

We throughly enjoyed the courtyard by sitting by the fire, sipping our drinks and enjoying the view. We only had breakfast once at the restaurant and both food and service was good. Their shuttle service was pretty handy. I forgot the young man's name who was mostly manning the shuttle, but he was very friendly and gave us tips on where to go and eat etc. The room was pretty bland compared to Phoenix Palomar which is also a Kimpton Hotel.

Kids enjoyed the walk by the creek. We enjoyed the Happy Hour every day! I didn't use their spa, so no comment on that. Despite the small hiccup with the room, I'd still give Amara 5 stars.

Room Tip: Don't take room 122!!! Cabana in front of the room blocks your view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ZeeC71
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Three stars for my beloved Kimpton brand. I know. It hurts me too. With the exception of a Best Western the last 9 or 10 times ive traveled have been at Kimptons,so Im pretty much comparing them to each other at this point.

The staff is wonderful. Daniel who helped with some specifics on a reservation and a lovely girl who had face jewelry whose name I cannot remember (sorry!) were kind and helpful. I must, however, single out Mattea who went above and beyond any other employee Ive ever encountered at any property, ever. Not only did she decorate my room with red wrapping paper with surrounding lights running the length of it all at the entrance (ala a red carpet Christmas welcome), but she made a collage for me. A COLLAGE people! Magazine cut-outs, colored cardboard paper, letters spelling out my name, stars and hearts, pictures of Sedona and the hotel. Who does that? So awesome. So special. So appreciated. Thank you again Mattea. Ive saved the collage. :)

Unbeknownst to me I realized upon arrival that I had stayed at the property before it was a Kimpton. Honestly not much had changed except the rearranging of the lobby.The outdoor area was just as lovely as ever and the creek being right there is a great place to while away an hour or 4.

But the rooms...

Black lacquer cheap furniture, no art on the walls. And this was a suite they upgraded me to. It felt cold and uninviting. The complete opposite of how Kimptons normally feel. They're known for doing such an amazing job on putting their excellent design signature on each of their individual properties, but this one had none. Sadly because of this I would choose another property the next time I return to Sedona.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo