“Great hotel with amazing service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel

Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Seattle, Washington
“Great hotel with amazing service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

My boyfriend and I spent three nights at Amara and were very impressed with the entire experience. The hotel is lovely, with a heated pool, hot tub, great view, and steam room. But what was most impressive was the service. Everyone that we came encounter with was extremely friendly and more then willing to help us with day trip plans and restaurant recommendations. There was always someone to open the front door for us (sometimes it's the little things).The free shuttle service to and from town was a life saver. Free coffee/juice in the morning and wine in the early evening also saved us a few bucks. But what stood out the most is the day my boyfriend rolled his ankle on our hike. As soon as he limped into the hotel we were the center of attention. The hotel manager (I think his name was Bryan) even went out of his way to drive to the grocery store and get him an Ace bandage.

To sum up Amara - the hotel is great but the people are what make the experience worth bragging about. I am a customer service snob and expect a lot when I spend my hard earned money. I would recommend this hotel to my family, friends and you!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Greetings TreasureHunter401
Wow!!! Thank you for your rave reviews about the team. I am sorry to hear that your boyfriend was injured during your hike. I am thrilled that Bryan made sure that he was comfortable and taken care of. That’s what the team does here…. they make you feel like a friend or part of the family. When you are in our home we want to ensure you are well take care of. We can’t wait to see you on your next visit.
Thank you for your kind words.

Patrick Gaskin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I agree with a previous reviewer, this would be a Holiday Inn in any other setting. I booked this hotel because of the view from the hot tub, which is spectacular. However, note the following if you want to stay here. There is a left and right wing - Avoid at all costs the left wing. This is were I stayed. Thankfully I was on the top floor. Even so, the view is a parking lot and there is an incredibility loud generator that is on 24/7 from the holiday apartments passed the parking lot. It is loud and sleep is near impossible, I requested to be moved to the creekside. There are only 4 rooms on the left wing that are creekside, so make sure you request one of those. I was not on the ring wing so have no idea what the setting is like there.

It is centrally located which is nice but, all in all, if you have a car and you are interested in taking walks, you really don't need to be in the 'center' of town. Don't get your hopes up, the view is great from the hot tub, the rooms are average at best.

There is no coffee in rooms so you have to go into the lobby in you PJ's to get a cup which is annoying, and the cups are small. The gym is okay for away from home use.

Also, annoying is that the charge a 'resort fee' of $20 per day, on top of your room fee! I had no idea about this until I checked out. The fee is useless - I'm not sure why the charge this as it is not a resort and the only extra is the hot tub, gym and pool which most hotels have. There is a tiny 'spa' in the parking lot if that counts.

The only thing it has going for it is the view from the hot tub. But I'm sure there are cheaper places in Sedona with comparable views.

I say try any of the other resorts in Sedona before this one.

Room Tip: Avoid the left wing - the view is a parking lot and there is a loud generator 24/7.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank trek8080
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

An unexpected and hidden (location) retreat in the heart of everything. Updated and comfortable,
Lovely backyard with peaceful atmosphere, Friendly people and reasonable food.
Originally we planned to stay just a night, but stayed 3 days:),
Would love to stay here again next time I am in Sedona

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We spent one night at the Amara Reort & Spa in Sedona and wish we had booked a week. It is an incredibly beautiful resort with all the extras we've come to love from the Kimpton hotels. The pool and courtyard is absolutely breath-taking. The staff is friendly, helpful and the food in the restaurant is second to none. Try the braised rib...you will not be disappointed.

We can't wait to go back. Love the Kimpton properties!

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard room if you want amazing views.
Green Features: This hotel is very environmentally friendly, with in room recycling and green options.
Big Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

As a Bed and Brakfast owner in Hawaii, I am picky about my bedding, food, service etc.
Besides being located ideally by the stream with beautiful views, this place provided ORGANIC food for our Orenda Gold School. I was so impressed that they went to the trouble of paying extra to provide excellent meals. The service was impeccable with unexpected little extras. I highly recommend the Amara Hotel!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good to me.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
St Margaret's Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

The hotel is well located - they have a courtesy car to deliver you into the town and collect you to bring you back, probably because it is a bit of a hike up from the hotel which is down by the creek.
We had a creek side room which was good quality.
The outstanding thing was the very high quality of the Yoga Teachers providing the free daily Yoga sessions. The gym, and hot-tub were also fine. The pool looked good but wasn't in use because it was being maintained.

Room Tip: Creek side rooms are worthwhile
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Clarksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We came from Phoenix Palomar to Amara. As Phoenix Palomar was spectacular, I may have had high expectations for Amara. While the staff in Amara were absolutely great and we received top-notch service from each and everyone we encountered, my peeve is with the room.

I booked a courtyard facing room. I did get a courtyard facing room, unfortunately my view was completely blocked by a Cabana. Turned out it was the utility Cabana where they had stuff stored, therefore the drapes can't be tied up like the other Cabanas to give us a view of the courtyard! The front desk staff tried their best to find us a different room. It being the holiday season, the hotel was completely booked and we ended up staying at the room that was assigned to us, but it definitely dampened the mood. To their credit, once I got back and called them up, Kimpton did refund me the difference between a regular room and a courtyard view room, so that was appreciated.

We throughly enjoyed the courtyard by sitting by the fire, sipping our drinks and enjoying the view. We only had breakfast once at the restaurant and both food and service was good. Their shuttle service was pretty handy. I forgot the young man's name who was mostly manning the shuttle, but he was very friendly and gave us tips on where to go and eat etc. The room was pretty bland compared to Phoenix Palomar which is also a Kimpton Hotel.

Kids enjoyed the walk by the creek. We enjoyed the Happy Hour every day! I didn't use their spa, so no comment on that. Despite the small hiccup with the room, I'd still give Amara 5 stars.

Room Tip: Don't take room 122!!! Cabana in front of the room blocks your view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family