“Good for adults.”

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Villa Park, Illinois, United States
“Good for adults.”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I came to Sedona to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose Amara as a part of a Kimpton pricing special. Our check-in was a disappointment as we arrived after 4 pm and had to wait over an hour for our room to be ready. Our only other issue was when we tried to call the concierge we rarely had anyone answer. However, for adults, the property was great. The location just behind the old town main street, putting a lot of stores within walking distance. Our room is in the last building close to Oak Creek and faced the pool area--a Courtyard guest room. We enjoyed Hundred Rox and the free wine hour. We found all the staff to be very friendly, great greetings and customer service. Valet service is included with the resort fee and was a nice service to have your car at your call. I am an In-Touch member and would recommend to others as it provides you free internet and a 20% discount at the spa.

Room Tip: I would stay on the second floor and have a room facing the courtyard or Oak Creek.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malinda W
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Malinda W,
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with us. I am sorry to hear of the delay getting into your room upon arrival. I know it is frustrating after a long day of travel. The team certainly appreciates the great comments and great to hear you enjoyed the valet service. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Patrick Gaskin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
CalgaryCDN
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I shared 2 nights in this hidden hotel, tucked down the side of a slope, below the main street. This created a very quiet location…no cars or road noise on the property. From our first entrance into the hotel, we were always greeted with pleasant comments at the front door by the valet parkers, and attendants. The physical plan is not large, but modern, clean, functional and pleasant. The view from the centre courtyard, from the patio cafe, to the lounge chairs, from the pool or the hot tub was tranquil, and marvellous at sunset, overlooking the red mountains nearby. The room was not large but a comfortable space, well appointed, clean, and with a great bed. All amenities were available (if any toiletry was forgotten, or any devices required). A small balcony permitted an amazing after-dark view of the huge number of stars visible, being away from the lights of the street above.
Not previously been aware of the Kimpton group of hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the professional and pleasant staff, the perks including a late afternoon free wine tasting, early morning coffee bar, and hotel shuttle for short trips downtown. The concierge and desk staff were all helpful in recommending stores, restaurants, and tours.
While not a 'spa' in the fashion that I would have expected, it was nonetheless very pleasant, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank World2Enjoy
Greetings World2Enjoy,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I am thrilled to hear that you not only discovered the Amara but Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants as well. I am ecstatic to hear that you took advantage of the perks (complimentary wine hour, forgot we go it, etc.) As I have mentioned many times before, the wine hour is the best part of the day. You have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, exchange stories about your adventures during your day all while relaxing and enjoying a beverage. Its great to hear the kind words about the exceptional team here. They really enjoy what they do and where they do it. I hope that you will continue to seek out Kimpton hotels as your travel and come back and see us soon.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We are a family of 4 & took a whirlwind trip of AZ for our Spring Break. My husband & I had high expectations of this resort due to a recommendation of friends. We were disappointed. We didn't get our room until an hour passed check in time. Considering this, we were "upgraded"; I'm still not sure what was upgraded since it was the same as the room I had reserved. It was difficult to find our room because there were many awkward levels & turns to reach it. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
LindaS1971,
Sorry to hear that we did not live up to the expectations, that is disappointing. Getting in your room after check-in is frustrating especially after a long day of traveling. The pool and hot tub are a great place to unwind, relax, and take in the incredible views before enjoying wine hour at 5pm. The views of the creek or red rocks are certainly worth the long walk and the guest services team will take care of carrying the luggage.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The location of the hotel is great for being downtown. They have a van you can take to shuttle around town. Such a beautiful place to be and tranquil. The staff all seemed very nice from my experience. The room we had only had a balcony you could stand on which was a bummer, but I'm not mad about that. I have no real complaints. The mattress was probably one of the best I've ever slept on at a hotel. Like others say it wouldn't really call it a "resort" but that doesn't bother me. I wasn't there long so I can't rate to spa. Overall I would recommend this as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura C
LauraC,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Location, Location, Location. .. Close enough to the uptown shops and restaurants but away from the hustle and bustle with incredible views. The shuttle is great way to get around anywhere within a mile of the property. The beds are incredible and allow for the much needed rest after exploring the beauty of Sedona. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

You would think that by reserving a "patio room" you would be getting a room with a patio, right? Not at Amara "Resort." When I inquired at the front desk why my patio room doesn't have a patio, I was told that all the second floor rooms are called patio rooms, even though they don't have patios. Okay. I asked what you need to do to get a patio. Apparently, you reserve a "courtyard" room -- then you have a patio. Odd. Let's switch now to "balconies" -- which Amara's description on TripAdvisor says each room has, with a view of Sedona's beautiful red rocks or the hotel's gardens. Sorry -- not true. The "balcony" for our room is perhaps 18" wide -- not big enough for a chair -- and has no view whatsoever. We look at the building next door. Very disappointing. Not worth the premium price. I do like the staff, though -- very nice.

Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Bob B
Bob B,
Thank you for sharing your experience and nice comments about the staff. I’m sorry we didn’t honor your request or offer for you to move rooms and instead made it more confusing for you. We will certainly use this as a learning opportunity with the team.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent 3 nights here during our spring break trip with our 9 and 7 year-old daughters. I think the hotel (I have a hard time calling it a resort) would be okay for adults, but it wasn't really geared toward families. The room was a tight fit for 4 people and had only 2 small drawers for clothes. 3 of us had to live out of suitcases. The pool area had a beautiful backdrop for sunbathing adults but the atmosphere didn't invite kids to play in the pool. (I realize this is a "plus" for adult guests - but feel the need to point this out for the benefit of those considering staying here with children.) In fact, my daughters both commented separately that they didn't think the hotel was "kid-friendly." We ate breakfast in the hotel and weren't offered any kids' menus, crayons, etc. I also thought the service at the restaurant was not great - it took numerous requests just to get a promised refill on my coffee. We found out on the day we left that they kept a bucket of toys at the front desk to offer kids at check-in, but whoever checked us in hadn't made the offer. It is worth noting that we felt that Sedona as a whole wasn't really geared toward kids, but we were using it as a base to go to the Grand Canyon and to do the Pink Jeep tour (which we all thoroughly enjoyed). That being said, even my husband and I weren't completely sold on this property and would probably try a different hotel if we ever return to Sedona, even without the kids. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $200/night for it. (We had booked a Kimpton winter special rate.) So although the hotel was fine, we didn't feel it was anything special and certainly not a place that we would recommend to other families with younger children.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AmyFK
AmyFK,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we didn’t make you or your children feel at home. We had several opportunities to do so and just didn’t make it happen and clearly missed the mark (crayons and coloring books, welcome gift at check-in, board games, and children’s movies all things we have but never offered) . I appreciate you bringing this to light and it is something we wil address as we want guests of all ages to enjoy their time here.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Had everything we've come to expect from Kimpton - a nicer, contemporary hotel with generally helpful staff. It was a good price in a convenient location, and a helpful shuttle and valet. Very nice view with a nice hike along the river.
A few things that disappointed us though: We had to call twice to ask for a crib, and the linens were gross and had spit-up from another child on it. They ran out of towels at the pool, and did not replenish them, even after we asked, making for a wet and chilly walk back to the room. The pool was supposed to be heated, but was still quite chilly.
The hotel is NOT kid friendly or ADA compliant - we had difficulty maneuvering up and down many 3-5 step staircases with a stroller.
Finally, there are recycling containers in the room - a nice, "green" touch, and we made the effort to separate our recycling, however, we came back while housekeeping was finishing and saw them mix the recycling with the regular trash. How disappointing.

Green Features: Terrible! We set aside recycling into the designated container and then saw housekeeping mix it with regular trash.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Drsteph1
Drsteph1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and helpful feedback. We appreciate your Kimpton loyalty and trying out the newest addition to the family. The property will receive a face lift this upcoming summer and you will see that Kimpton flare in the décor as well as addressing the mobility of getting around the property. My apologies for the lapse service you experienced and the lack of attention to details. We will certainly address it.