“Very Good Resort and Vacation”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Sedona offers a great space for a family vacation and the Amara is a great place to spend it. The hotel is overall great but there are aspects that are older and more run down, that need more attention. The rooms are very nice, but have very mediocre amenities that are accessible by the guests. Very nice hotel, and great for families. Would highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Zakthedog2005,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Amara. We are thrilled that is was a great spot for you and your family and gets the whole family’s seal of approval. The property will be receiving a face lift starting in less than 3 weeks which is very exciting. We look forward to your family’s next trip to Sedona,

Patrick Gaskin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

First let me say that all the staff we encountered were first rate. From the check in to the waiter who offered to bring me water while we waited for our room to the outstanding valet service.I am glad to read that the hotel is going to have a bit of a makeover. The rooms were ok but a bit awkward layout of the hotel and not the luxury of a resort.

If you are on the upper level, be prepared to have to drag your suitcases up or down a few stairs as the hallways are in staggered sections. While housekeeping did a fine job of keeping our room extremely clean, the hallways always seem to have pieces of outside debris on them.

The hotel met our expectations but if you are looking for luxury, high end, this is not it. Also not sure if any of the rooms have a straight on view of the mountains.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings Breezey,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that the team made you feel at home and that you were well take care of. The guest services team is ready and willing to assist with the arrival process and get you situated comfortably in your room. You are on vacation..... let the team do the heavy lifting, relax and enjoy Sedona. As you mentioned, the property will begin its facelift here in less than 3 weeks. We are extremely excited to the refresh while getting those Kimpton touches.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Amara is conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and galleries, but quietly tucked behind all the hubbub of the street. There's a peaceful, babbling brook with an easy walk-down from the resort. If you rent a car, you can drive to Grand Canyon in a couple of hours. No need to spend the night there – a day trip is plenty. The yoga classes were not too challenging for a beginner and Kathleen is positive and encouraging. The valet's were always were always genuinely pleasant and extremely polite. The desk staff was helpful and accommodating — always seemed happy to see you. The coffee bar in the morning was a nice benefit, too. Enjoyed a relaxing massage and pleasant conversation with Jari(?) in the spa. My husband and I stayed for three days in late March—sans kids. Overall, it was a lovely stay...I just wish it had been longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "patio" guest room 209 which was near the dumpsters; we were already up w...
1  Thank KatrinaOlson

Katrina Olson,
We wish you would have stayed longer as well. Great to hear that it was such a relaxing getaway and that staff made you feel at home. Yoga is a great way to start the day and Kathleen is an incredible instructor. We can’t wait for you to come back and maybe even bring the entire family next time. Untill next time…..

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I came to Sedona to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose Amara as a part of a Kimpton pricing special. Our check-in was a disappointment as we arrived after 4 pm and had to wait over an hour for our room to be ready. Our only other issue was when we tried to call the concierge we rarely had anyone answer. However, for adults, the property was great. The location just behind the old town main street, putting a lot of stores within walking distance. Our room is in the last building close to Oak Creek and faced the pool area--a Courtyard guest room. We enjoyed Hundred Rox and the free wine hour. We found all the staff to be very friendly, great greetings and customer service. Valet service is included with the resort fee and was a nice service to have your car at your call. I am an In-Touch member and would recommend to others as it provides you free internet and a 20% discount at the spa.

Room Tip: I would stay on the second floor and have a room facing the courtyard or Oak Creek.
1  Thank Malinda W

Malinda W,
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with us. I am sorry to hear of the delay getting into your room upon arrival. I know it is frustrating after a long day of travel. The team certainly appreciates the great comments and great to hear you enjoyed the valet service. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I shared 2 nights in this hidden hotel, tucked down the side of a slope, below the main street. This created a very quiet location…no cars or road noise on the property. From our first entrance into the hotel, we were always greeted with pleasant comments at the front door by the valet parkers, and attendants. The physical plan is not large, but modern, clean, functional and pleasant. The view from the centre courtyard, from the patio cafe, to the lounge chairs, from the pool or the hot tub was tranquil, and marvellous at sunset, overlooking the red mountains nearby. The room was not large but a comfortable space, well appointed, clean, and with a great bed. All amenities were available (if any toiletry was forgotten, or any devices required). A small balcony permitted an amazing after-dark view of the huge number of stars visible, being away from the lights of the street above.
Not previously been aware of the Kimpton group of hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the professional and pleasant staff, the perks including a late afternoon free wine tasting, early morning coffee bar, and hotel shuttle for short trips downtown. The concierge and desk staff were all helpful in recommending stores, restaurants, and tours.
While not a 'spa' in the fashion that I would have expected, it was nonetheless very pleasant, comfortable and quiet.

1  Thank World2Enjoy

Greetings World2Enjoy,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I am thrilled to hear that you not only discovered the Amara but Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants as well. I am ecstatic to hear that you took advantage of the perks (complimentary wine hour, forgot we go it, etc.) As I have mentioned many times before, the wine hour is the best part of the day. You have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, exchange stories about your adventures during your day all while relaxing and enjoying a beverage. Its great to hear the kind words about the exceptional team here. They really enjoy what they do and where they do it. I hope that you will continue to seek out Kimpton hotels as your travel and come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We are a family of 4 & took a whirlwind trip of AZ for our Spring Break. My husband & I had high expectations of this resort due to a recommendation of friends. We were disappointed. We didn't get our room until an hour passed check in time. Considering this, we were "upgraded"; I'm still not sure what was upgraded since it was the same as the room I had reserved. It was difficult to find our room because there were many awkward levels & turns to reach it. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

LindaS1971,
Sorry to hear that we did not live up to the expectations, that is disappointing. Getting in your room after check-in is frustrating especially after a long day of traveling. The pool and hot tub are a great place to unwind, relax, and take in the incredible views before enjoying wine hour at 5pm. The views of the creek or red rocks are certainly worth the long walk and the guest services team will take care of carrying the luggage.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The location of the hotel is great for being downtown. They have a van you can take to shuttle around town. Such a beautiful place to be and tranquil. The staff all seemed very nice from my experience. The room we had only had a balcony you could stand on which was a bummer, but I'm not mad about that. I have no real complaints. The mattress was probably one of the best I've ever slept on at a hotel. Like others say it wouldn't really call it a "resort" but that doesn't bother me. I wasn't there long so I can't rate to spa. Overall I would recommend this as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura C

LauraC,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Location, Location, Location. .. Close enough to the uptown shops and restaurants but away from the hustle and bustle with incredible views. The shuttle is great way to get around anywhere within a mile of the property. The beds are incredible and allow for the much needed rest after exploring the beauty of Sedona. We look forward to your next visit.