“Amazing anniversary getaway-”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 nights in Sedona at this beautiful resort. We upgraded to the creek side room and thought it was well worth it. We had a patio overlooking the creek, trees and of course the red rocks. The Amara was very special. The minute I walked in, I knew we had arrived at a kimpton property. All kimpton hotels smell the same!!! I want my house to smell like that. Also, I like that the decor wasn't over the top southwest theme. The look was still modern but appropriate to the surrounding desert. I was able to enjoy the spa which I recommend highly. I was so relaxed after a couple treatments. The pool was also very nice and cozy. This property is very small and calm. I liked the feel of the lobby and the restaurant. We were also just a couple steep steps from all the shopping and restaurants. My recommendations for dining are Elote for Mexican and The Coffee Pot for breakfast. Both are driving distance from the hotel. We also took a drive to Page Springs Cellars winery. We would also recommend a day trip to sip wine and forget you are in the desert. The Amara was the perfect place to unwind and relax after a long day of shopping and wine tasting! We will definitely go back soon.

Room Tip: Creek side is worth the extra money.
4  Thank Sophie J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been to Sedona many times and this is one of my favorite places to stay. I like the peaceful location by the river, yet close to the heart of town. The views are lovely from the pool and the outdoor patio at the restaurant. The rooms are comfortable and the resort is pet friendly which is a plus for us!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We chose this resort because they have an infinity pool. Our room was lovely with a balcony overlooking the creek. The bathroom was very modern and included a tub with jets, robes, and upscale toiletries. All of the staff at the Amara were very friendly and helpful without being the least bit snooty. While waiting for a valet, another guest was told that the battery was dead on his car. A second valet rushed to help jump start the car while the man was still wondering what he would do! The resort fee covered gratuities, so the valets were very appreciative when we gave them tips. These valets helped to start each day in a cheerful, friendly way. We thoroughly enjoyed out visit, especially the infinity pool which we managed to hit when no one else was there!

Room Tip: We originally asked for a poolside room, but were upgraded (at no extra cost) to creekside. This wa...
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

If you are going to Sedona, the Amara Spa and Resort is a great place to stay. A beautiful view of the red rocks that Sedona is known for, plus Oak Creek is right behind the hotel if you want a relaxing walk (or sit) by the creek. Wine hour every night. While we were there, they had a masseuse from the spa there to give chair massages during wine hour. Out back is the pool and plenty of chairs to enjoy the views. I forgot all about checking my Facebook and other things as I relaxed outside.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have traveled to dozens of countries and hotels, but my stay at Amara was one of the most uncomfortable for me. I was traveling with my girlfriends in our mid-20s and I felt consistantly unwelcomed to the resort. Even dicussions with staff about local area attractions were condescending when we asked about nightlife after 8pm in the area. The rooms were very nice, the grounds were gorgeous, but there was a sense that they did not want to cater to people outside of older couples. Solely based on the service, I will not return. This is almost 10 months later and is a much kinder review than I would have written immediately following the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our trip to the resort was fantastic. As far as facilities, the pool and cabanas were probably the highlight. I've never seen an infinity pool that looked over anything other than a body of water, but the infinity over the red rocks was stunning. The loungers and cabanas are first-come, first-served, which I think is a great philosophy at any resort. Food and drinks are available for service by the pool, and we spent the bulk of our vacation here (much nicer than the pool facilities next door at L'Auberge).

Staff were all friendly, from front desk to valet to spa to engineering. Special mention goes to Max in engineering, who went out of his way to vacuum up some terrifying bugs that made their way inside when we foolishly left the screen open briefly (BEWARE of terrifying insects at the creek). However, I would say the room left a little something to be desired. The layout was a bit awkward in our suite, and I felt some basic housekeeping details and room amenities were lacking. The room was not quite as clean/pristine as I would have liked (e.g., drink rings on the coffee table), and old room service glasses (from the previous guest) were left in the hall outside the room for hours. No in-room coffee maker, old blow dryer, worn bathrobes, etc. -- just a few little things amiss at this price point.

The spa was reasonably priced and the services were great. Love love love the free morning yoga. The food was also very good, with lots of food and beverage options (although the restaurant next door at L'Auberge was OUTSTANDING and worth a visit). Overall a great trip and I will definitely plan to return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolbeths
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I recently were guests at the Amara Spa and Resort. We stayed in July. The resort is situated just off the main road, highway 89A, in uptown Sedona and is close to shopping and restaurants. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby is clean, tidy and modern – as is the restaurant and out-door seating areas. Similarly, our room – facing Oak Creek - was clean, quiet and comfortable.
The pool area, with a salt water pool, is OK but nothing special. There is one hot tub in the pool area.
Complimentary newspapers - US Today, Arizona Republic, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal - are available in the lobby. There is also coffee and tea in the lobby area early in the morning. A complimentary wine is served in the lobby area between 5 and 6 pm.
The room lacked coffee making facilities. There is no complimentary breakfast.
It would be helpful if the management provided a clear list of what the guest obtains with the resort fee. The hotel is far over-priced. For the fee paid (about $310), one would expect at least coffee making facilities, and perhaps a complimentary breakfast. My impression is that one is paying for the 300-thread-count Italian linens, which really do not make you sleep any better. There are many alternatives in Sedona. For example, the Hampton Inn, which is 1.8 miles from central Sedona, is half the price and provides a complimentary breakfast and in room coffee facilities. Before booking at Sedona, I would suggest researching a good travel site to get better value for money.

1  Thank Goatherder925