“Basic room, but Great price value for the area!”

Sedona Village Lodge
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Columbus, OH
“Basic room, but Great price value for the area!”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Most other hotels are very expensive in Sedona, but this was very reasonable. The staff was great, the location is convenient, the showers were nice. The only complaint we had were the pillows...so bring your own if you can!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank BleuGreen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Did some research for reasonable hotels in Sedona. I found this place which my family loved. Also, hotel took our two small dogs without the expensive fees.
It's a simple hotel (no frills) but at the time we got a Deluxe Suite for our family of four for about $70. We always appreciate lots of space for our stuff.
Our suite had lots of room, two bed queen room, kitchenette, living room with fireplace, and couch with hide-a-bed. Perfect for young family. No pots/pans, dishes or utensils.
Everything was clean and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Bryant G
East Coast
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I will start this review by giving a little background on myself and my husband - we are late 30's, and early 40's. We have camped (in a tent) our entire lives, so we are used to community bathrooms/outhouses, dirt, insects, etc. ALL of our travelling is done on a budget. We are VERY easy-going. While we can and are tolerant of certain things, lousy customer service is not one of them, and this is exactly what we got from the Sedona Village Lodge. We booked our stay in February for our upcoming vacation in March. I made the reservations over the phone, speaking to a young man. He was polite and professional. I requested the suite, as those rooms have kitchenettes and a fireplace. We would be there for 2 nights. Ten minutes after making the reservation, he called me back explaining that he had not been looking at the calendar when I called, and he could now see that for the second night we would have to move to one of the basic rooms. While this would not be ideal for us, it was also not a problem, so I agreed, and without me even asking he offered to take $5.00 off of that room rate for the inconvenience. Great. I was a little concerned that someone who is in the business of taking reservations was not looking at a calendar when I initially called, but since he caught the mistake early and it appeared to be straightened out, I assumed it was, and put it out of my mind. When we arrived in Sedona at the end of our week long trip, I was met in the office by a young man. Whether this was the same person that took my reservation or not, I am not sure. When I told him I was checking in for our two nights, he appeared extremely uncomfortable, and informed me that we did not have a reservation for the second night. I thought he had misunderstood me, and recalling the screw up with the reservation weeks before, I told him that no, we had a reservation for two nights, but we had to move to a different room for the second night. He proceeded to tell me that no, our reservation for the second night had been cancelled because they had a large group coming in. And I said, but we have a reservation...to which he had no answer for. He did tell me that we didn't even have to stay for that night if we didn't want to. He said there were plenty of other places in town where we could get a room for about $100.00 or so a night. See, the reason we picked this place was because of the decent reviews on Tripadvisor, and for the inexpensive price. Had we wanted to spend $100.00 or so a night on a room, we would have picked one of those hotels to begin with. He really didn't seem to get it. And so what if a big group was coming in. Our reservation was bumped so they could accomdate a big group??? So, we had at that point been in the car for about 8 hours. It was dinner time. We were tired, hungry, had never been to this town before (so didn't know any other hotels/prices/availablity) and were meeting friends for dinner in Sedona in half an hour. I was not happy with this situation. But, given our circumstances I choose to stay the first night. It was KILLING me to give these people my business. The room was o.k. It should be noted that the kitchenette (no stovetop) is really just a sink, small frige and a microwave I think, with quite a few cabinets and drawers. Don't really see the point of it...all the cabinets are empty. Not a single utensil, plate, cup, etc. The bathroom was fairly modern looking compared to the rest of the suite, although the tub didn't drain well, but it was clean. While the place was clean, it felt old to me. Like, I didn't want to sit on the couch, or walk on the rug in my bare feet. Again, we are not travel prudes when it comes to this stuff. But, something about it just felt used, worn, and because of that it felt dirty. The bed was comfortable enough and the sheets and comforter appeared clean, but I didn't want it near my face. There was a chair in the bedroom that appeared grubby to me. I want to repeat...we did not expect a 4-star resort here....just expressing our feelings about the accomodations. While the fireplace was a nice extra, I did not want to lounge around on the couch to enjoy it. People in other reviews have spoken about the views from this place. Our room (I believe #12) was on the 2nd floor - our door opened to an outside covered hallway. We had a view of the rocks from our room. BUT, when you are comparing it to the beauty around you, it is nothing to write home about. And in our opinion, this is NOT the type of place where you would lounge around enjoying a view. There is a big dirt parking lot or something adjacent to the hotel building ( so as you are looking at the rock formation, you are overlooking this parking lot) . Like maybe something was there and it was knocked down? Having that there gave more of a run-down feeling to the hotel. So, after meeting our friends for dinner and returning to the Village of Oak Creek (where the Sedona Village Lodge is actually located), at 10:30 at night, we proceeded to drive around town looking for a clean, affordable place to stay for our second night. At our FOURTH stop we found The Views Inn. The price was right, the lobby was inviting and clean, the guy at the desk was professional and courteous, so we booked the room. (You can read my review regarding this property as well). During checkout the next morning, I was greeted in the office by a cheerful woman (owner??). She asked how my stay was. I was so annoyed at this situation, and once again we were meeting friends for an early morning hike, that I just couldn't get into it with her. So, I grumbled that it was fine, handed over my key and left. Once we returned home, I wrote a detailed letter and sent it to the owner of the hotel. In the letter I said that it would have been nice if maybe the owner had come out to talk with us, instead of letting some kid handle this situation. Maye some SPECIFIC hotel suggestions could have been made. Maybe even the young man could have made some phone calls for me. Or here is a novel idea, maybe they could have even offered to pay the difference between our NEW hotel room, and the price we would have paid at the Sedona Village Lodge. (FYI the difference was $20.00, but it was the POINT of the whole thing). I don't know what I was expecting. I guess I was looking for an apology, or for them to say that an unfortunate mix up had occured. What I got was a sticky note attached to their brochure. The handwritten note basically said that sometimes they have guests that don't want to leave, and they hoped we would stay with them again in the future. Are you kidding me? They didn't even address the problem, let alone apologize for our inconvience. Stay with you again?....I don't think so. And, if you are running your business by taking reservations as opposed to a first come, first served basis, then what is the point? If you have guests that don't want to leave, but SOMEONE ELSE HAS A RESERVATION then that first person has to leave, because the ROOM IS BOOKED FOR THE NIGHT. Don't they get that concept??? I would NEVER recommend this property to anyone - strictly because of the customer service. If you are looking for affordable accomodations, with professional staff and modern ammenities (pool, lobby computers, free continental breakfast, modern clean rooms with frige and microwave) there are other properties in town, and in our opinion, they are the FAR BETTER option - see my review.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank We'reouttahere
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I had planned to reserve a couple of nights in a room here, but when I phoned, they offered a reduced rate on their one-bedroom suites if we stayed three nights. As the Memorial Day weekend was approaching, this seemed a particularly good deal, and we decided to book for five nights.
We quickly realized that for anything more than an overnight stay, suites are infinitely preferable for a couple of reasons. First, they’re located on the upper floor of the two-storey lodge, meaning you can see the red rocks from the exterior corridor/balcony leading to the units, and as each one goes from the front of the building through to the back, you’ll have a partial view of more red rocks from the small bedroom window at the back. The rooms, which are on the ground floor, are separated by a central interior corridor, so they have windows only back or front, but because they’re so low there are no views. Second, the suites are more spacious: a separate king bedroom, a full bathroom, a living room with fireplace (no doubt welcome in the cooler months) and a kitchen area. This had a small fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker and, though we didn’t find it till about the third day, a toaster (it was stored in a cupboard we hadn’t noticed). Crockery and cutlery were not provided, but when I enquired at the office, they kindly lent us a couple of dinner plates, coffee mugs, forks, knives and dish soap.

The room was clean and comfortable, we had lots of hot water, front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and there was no noise from either people or traffic. The lodge is located on the edge of a small mall (Bell Rock Plaza) in the Village of Oak Creek, a few miles outside Sedona proper. The location turned out to be a blessing, as Sedona was pretty congested, a result of road construction combined with heavy holiday weekend traffic.

The lodge has at least two restaurants virtually on its doorstep. We enjoyed Tara Thai Cuisine in the plaza: good food and very reasonable prices. There’s a Chinese restaurant (Red Chopsticks, I think) just a couple of doors away that also looked nice, though we didn’t get a chance to try it. Pago’s, an Italian restaurant a little further down the road that seems to be popular with locals as well as visitors, makes good, no-nonsense pasta and pizza. Close to it is a Weber’s IGA supermarket where you can stock up on breakfast and picnic supplies.

Hiking and biking trails start near the lodge, and there are lots of other trails in the Oak Creek/Sedona area. Enjoyable hikes include the upper level of Bell Rock (a bit difficult to follow the trail as the cairns are sporadic, but we eventually completed the loop); Turkey Creek (careful where you park; we saw people being ticketed for leaving their cars just outside the teeny parking lot); and the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon. The Chamber of Commerce tourist information office in Uptown Sedona is extremely helpful. As well as recommending hikes, they helped us locate really nice public tennis courts.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tripsterchick
Gilbert, AZ
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I like Sedona Village Lodge mainly because I like to visit Sedona as often as I can. Technically located in the Village of Oak Creek, just outside of Sedona, it’s located about ¼ mile from Bell Rock Recreation area. At $49 a night weekdays and $59 weekends, Suites a little more, this is a great value. The first floor has an indoor hallway to the rooms. If you don’t mind the occasional beetle, grasshopper or other little critters that you would see on an outdoor, open hallway anywhere else in Sedona, you’ll love the place. It’s fairly old but I have been there several times and although the building might be old, the beds are fantastic. The AC is great in the summer. The heater? I’ll find out this weekend but I’m sure it’s just as good. If you can afford $120 to $200 a night, only come to Sedona once in a while or don’t like Earth’s little creatures, stay elsewhere. But if you’re ok with a few critters and demand a fantastic night’s rest, this place is fine. Dollar to satisfaction ratio? I give this place five stars!

• Liked — The veiw, the price and I like the Village over staying in Sedona, more to do at night.
  • Disliked — I like everything, I love most things about your place
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Joe4fun64
Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Unfortunately, we had only one night to stay in Sedona, and finances were an issue for us. I booked the Sedona Village Lodge because of its low rates. It was just right. Because we had a senior citizen with us, we were given rooms on the bottom floor. It was quiet. The AC worked well. The room was clean. We felt safe-unlike other places we stayed in on our trip. It certainly met our needs and we were very pleased. Yes, if we ever get back to Sedona, we will stay there. Why pay more for a perfectly satisfactory accommodation?

• Liked — low cost and satisfactory accommodations
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Colbert M
Lompoc, California
Reviewed 31 March 2008

March, 2008. We arrived at the Village Lodge from Sierra Vista,AZ. The Deleux rooms were excellent!! Our guests from Germany loved it as well. The view of Bell Rock and surronding formations was fantastic. We had 4 adults and 2 children in two rooms, with plenty of room to spare. There is a gas operated fireplace that comes on with the flick of a switch. The price at Village Lodge and the surronding Oak Creek area was very reasonable. I would definetly stay here again. P.S: I've stayed in hotels in Europe, Las Vegas (Bellagio, Venitian etc...) this is simply a nice, quiet lodge for those that do not want to pay the "Sedona" hotel prices.

Stayed March 2008