“What a find!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I could probably give this place 5 stars, but I'm comparing the sushi to the best I've had in the east coast (which may not be fair). That said, let me say that I'm very wary of trying any sushi that hasn't been rated short of "excellent," and this sushi did not disappoint.

Every time I try a new sushi restaurant, I always get the tamago/egg custard. I was once told that in Japan, people often try the tamago to test the quality of the restaurant itself. This has always made sense to me, as the quality of the tamago (which should be home made at a good sushi restaurant) tends to match--in my experience-- the quality of the raw fish. The tamago here was excellent. The only raw fish I got was a spicy tuna hand roll. The fish was very good. What was even more impressive was the seaweed. At a good sushi restaurant, the seaweed should be crisp and not soggy... this was particularly crisp.

So, why 4 stars? I wasn't wholly in love with the atmosphere, which seemed fine for lunch but would not have been particularly warm and inviting for dinner. Also, the sushi was very, very good, and I would trust eating all types of raw fish there... I'm not sure it was outstanding though. It was, overall, a great find--sushi in Sedona and really good at that. If you are in the mood for sushi, you won't be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Hiro's Sushi & Japanese Kitchen

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The fish was really fresh and well cut.Age dofu was cooked perfectly.Atmosphere was friendly and the waite staff could not have been more helpful.After days of eating in franchises on the road this place was really special.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

To begin.... we had a very disturbing "social interaction" issue with what appeared to be the owner? Which got resolved once we walked out of the restaurant, so for SURE we will return as he fixed the issue, and we were satisfied. I truly believe Sedona is SOOOO inundated with "mostly tourists"... that the word service is totally exhausted, and customer is right has long gone flown out the window!

We were totally surprised to find hamachi kama not only on the menu in this very small restaurant, but to have it served absolutely perfectly! So flavorful and moist, I wanted to order a second one! The salad was delicious and the rolls were great. We ordered a special roll.. can't remember the name and can't find it on line right now, think it was called "Ocean?"... which was tasty, but lacking a crunch to stimulate. The spicy tuna was wonderful as was some of the tuna sushi. My husband also loved the miso soup. The service was adequate. We will definitely return!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was surprised that there is only one sushi place in Sedona. As my 6 year old daughter loves sushi, we usually have to have it when we can find it. We got take out so we could sit on our balcony and enjoy the stunning views and also to enjoy a bottle of wine without having to worry about driving. Hiro's fit our plans nicely and their specialty rolls were great. It is difficult to spot from the road as it is kind of hidden, but worth the effort if sushi is on your mind.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We came in for lunch and tried the spicy tuna roll, tuna sashimi, ramen bowl, teriyaki bowl and yakisobi. The sushi was nice but seemed a little on the small side for the price. The others were well prepared, loaded with chicken and very filling and flavorful. The service was good and overall it was an enjoyable lunch.

Been to Hiro's Sushi & Japanese Kitchen? Share your experiences!