“Sedona Rouge, A promise made, but not kept”

Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco
“Sedona Rouge, A promise made, but not kept”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

It was with some reservation that we booked the Sedona Rouge. Trip Advisor was full of hot and cold reviews on user’s experiences. We felt that the pros out weighed the cons and we reserved for a four day stay.

Things started out well. Following our reservation we received an e mail from the concierge offering services and suggesting tours. We were impressed! We e-mailed back with some specific questions and after a week we heard back. Our questions were not fully answered, but we figured we would meet the concierge at check in and sort out the details. The delay in responding to our e-mail, was a concern. The Rouge is rated as a 4 Diamond Resort.

Upon arrival we were greeted by an attractive hotel with an open air court with an impressive fountain. To the left of the entrance is the restaurant and to the right the enclosed lobby, which we later dubbed the employee club house. Check in was uneventful and we secured our keys to our Red Rock view room. As we proceeded to the room we noted the abundance of rusty wrought iron applied to walls and guard rails. Someone apparently thought it would add character to a contemporary building, but the sheer volume of it was very unattractive.

The room was fine. King bed, nice linens, free bottled water, great free wi-fi and a wedge shaped Juliet balcony to stand on to see the red rocks. The furniture in the room was worn from use. The lambs’ wool throw on the foot of the bed had been laundered so often it sort of resembled a crinkled slug crawling on the bed. The sofa at the foot of the bed was in need of a cleaning. The bathroom door had swelled to the point that opening and closing it required a shoulder push. One of the closet doors had lost the spring in its latch, so it never stayed closed. The door theme continued through out the hotel with the door closer mechanism adjusted to the slam mode. The guest room doors are solid and carry a great deal of weight, if you don’t close them carefully they slam, and slam they did, ours and our neighbors.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean. Architecturally it was a bit antiseptic. A beautiful free standing vanity formed from a single piece of rough edged granite was a striking feature of this bathroom. Unfortunately the faucet was so short one could hardly get a glass under it. A single drinking glass graced the vanity top, and two more were in the room. A commercial plate glass beveled mirror hung above the vanity and a very small two lamp sconce hung above. The bathroom was tiled in beige and brown intuitional tile. The large walk in shower featured a wall shower and a rain shower. A shower bench and towel bars would have been nice additions to this bath. Overall the bathroom was a good idea, inexpensively executed. It lacked the design and WOW of a four diamond bath.

Back down to the lobby to meet with the Concierge. Seated at her desk she recalled that she had responded to our e mail. We asked what was going on in Sedona, and she pulled out a local paper, opened it to the calendar for the month, and said read this, it will let you know what’s happening. She was unengaged and disinterested in our experience in Sedona or at the hotel. We found better and more informed information at the Pink Jeep office in Sedona. They cared about us, the hotel concierge did not.

A highlight of service was when we arrived to our room while it was being cleaned. The maintenance man took it upon himself to check the status of the room. He returned and said it would be a few minuets and suggested we go to the bar for a drink, enjoy the pool or join the fire pit lighting each evening on the roof deck. He was delightful, cared and offered options. He was definitely a 4 diamond employee! The sad part was that for our entire stay the fire pit was never lit, despite the fact that it is advertised in the hotel as an event.

The pool is lovely and it has an attendant. We were quite surprised and pleased when after we were settled, he brought us water. This was unexpected and great service. However, when his shift ended, he packed up and left. Pool towels and empty plastic glasses were left, no last check in with guests to see if he could re-fill water or provide a dry towel. It makes me sad that one experience that started so well, ended with disappointment.

Saturday night we planned on dining in the hotel’s restaurant. It had good reviews and we were looking forward to staying in. Upon arrival they had live music. We were in the mood for a peaceful evening. Chatting with the hostess, she told us that dinner is served 7 nights a week. So we went off property and planned to come back the next night, Sunday for dinner.

Sunday evening we dressed and went down for dinner. The restaurant was almost dark. Candles lining the walkway that welcomed guests last night were out, rice paper lanterns that lit the upper dining area were dark, and music from the kitchen seeped into the bar. The dining room was roped off and dark. The mood was that of a diner at 2 AM. The lone bar tender greeted us and offered us the bar menu. We explained the misinformation the hostess had given us on Saturday; he apologized and encouraged us to stay. From the limited bar menu we chose our meal, we noted that the hotel had room service, but none of the room service entrée’s were offered. My partner had a $12 Manhattan, which in a nice restaurant is fine, but in a next to closed diner, it is not a good value. Fine dining prices go hand in had with a four diamond experience. This experience fell quite short.

While we waited for our meal, the worn and soiled appearance of our guest room was carried into the restaurant. It’s time for a good deep clean and painting for this property. Along with our check was a questionnaire, service, value, food etc. We completed this and complimented our waiter and explained our disappointments. We had two nights remaining on our stay. No one from the, 4 Diamond, Sedona Rouge reached out to us as disappointed in house guests.

The architecture of this hotel promotes separation of staff from guests. The lobby is a glassed in isolated room. The desk faces away from the entry so they have no idea of who is coming and going. There is no warm greeting when you arrive, as the staff is in their isolated lobby. That’s why we called it the staff club house. In preparation for our check out, I needed change to tip the housekeepers (the room was clean). I entered the club house and interrupted 3 staff members engaged with a medical update from the concierge (different one from our first visit). I received no acknowledgement from the staff. After standing at the desk, the host looked at me, while keeping track of the conversation I interrupted. I asked for two fives and a ten in change. She proceeded to count out ones, five and a ten, which I returned for my original request. I left the ladies to their chat, again, no acknowledgement. I guess I wasn’t a member of the club.

I am always hopeful that redemption is possible. At check out the hotel continued to maintain its standard of as little service as possible. The host verified charges, secured payment and almost as a second thought asked how our stay was. Our response was “just OK”. She got a befuddled look on her face and asked if we needed directions.

A few days after we got home we received an e mail from the Sedona Rouge with a survey. It was completed with many of the items in this review. A few days later we received a generic reply from the General Manager thanking us for the review, and our comments would be taken to train staff etc. He also requested a trip advisor review.

I apologize for the length of this review. The hotel is fine, for the right price. Lower your expectations and you may have a wonderful time.

7 Thank SanFranciscoBlue
ed_conwayCornvilleAZ, General Manager at Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest,
I appreciate the time and effort you took to critique your experience with us. Very sorry we missed meeting you expectations. Your have some great points. Please call me to discuss. 928 203 4111 if you would like and or you can also email me at
econway@sedonarouge.com to continue this discussion.

I have distributed your comment to my team and will use the to improve.

I am hopeful to have you return again to Sedona and I will try and make your next experience better.

Ed Conway, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I tried this hotel because we got a two night deal through Travel Zoo. Before I book any hotel, I always check the reviews in Trip Advisor first and this place had good reviews so I bought the deal. My husband and I were not disappointed. I thought this place was pretty flawless with the one exception of the internet service which was sporadic. I also wish they allowed two small dogs per room, they only allow one dog per room. If they allowed two, we would brought ours. I did see a couple walking three dogs, but I don't feel comfortable lying to the hotel.

The room was clean and cozy. The coffee and tea assortment was lovely and I also enjoyed the two complimentary bottled waters in our fridge. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on our patio sipping tea in the evening.

Breakfast in the hotel was great. They even had vegetarian dishes!! The tofu scramble was yummy. I found the dinner to be a little more overpriced, but the food was good. The grilled endive salad was delicious!!

The spa was nice and my husband and I enjoyed our hot stone massages. We hung around and enjoyed the steam bath and jacuzzi. The pool and the fitness room was great. Like I said, pretty flawless!

New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We just returned from a visit to Sedona and a stay at the Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa.
We found the hotel property to be clean and attractive. Our room faced the Red Rocks, and the view was spectacular. The hotel staff was warm and welcoming from check in to check out. We had to cut our trip short due to a family emergency and the staff assisted us with airline arrangements, etc. This hotel has the most comfortable bed and the most luxurious towels. Yes, it is off a major street, but it is quiet, and convenient to any where you may choose to go in Sedona. We cannot wait to return to this wonderful hotel!!!!!

Reviewed 22 July 2011

The hotel location is a bit of a trek from the main street stores so we drove. It is a busy area, fortunately our room was was in the center of the hotel so we were not disturbed...there is parking lot construction going on right now. My husband had rave reviews after having a massage at their spa, the room was modern with a gigantic open shower. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely consider going back if we end up back in Sedona in the future.

• Stayed July 2011
Windermere
Reviewed 19 July 2011

As an add-on to our Phoenix MLB All Star week we stayed two nights in Sedona at the Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa. From the reservations process, to registration, to all interactions with staff all was first class treatment and the entire family had a great time. I would highly recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RandOpera
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2011

2 flaws. Was well aware of them before booking. Limited views and limited to places within walking distance. With that being said the location was perfect for us. We were in Sedona to hike, hike, and hike some more. If you are there to shop, then choose a more convenient location. Sedona Rouge was perfect for us. Reds Restaurant located on site was awesome as well. I can not vouch for dinner in the restaurant , but we did use room service once for dinner and the following morning for breakfast and were very satisfied with both. For the week we ate breakfast in the restaurant 3 times, one of which we chose to eat there versus eating at the B&B we stayed at. That speaks volumes. Absolutely delicious, fresh and healthy with great service. The hotel itself provides several areas of outdoor/open air space to relax and the staff was professional and we were greeted with a smile. The room was clean, large, and comfortable. The bathroom shower was divine and the bed was heaven. Do not be afraid of the "boutique hotel" stigma. Sedona Rouge provided us a convenient location with upscale amenities in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. We can't wait to return.

Blackwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Everything about Sedona was great. This hotel is located out of the "downtown" Sedona area which was fine by us. We had easy access to all attractions, lots of choices for food, etc. all along Rt. 86. The hotel is very nice, amenities and spa were great. Housekeeping was a little lax in cleaning bathroom mirrors but otherwise did nice job. Hairdryers were terrible so bring your own if it's important to you. Breakfast, while not included, was best we found in town. Nice bar but never many people hanging out there. Spa services were great but a little overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends