“Wonderful, great rooms, great views... amazing spa!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful, great rooms, great views... amazing spa!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed at Sedona Rouge with my parents for my dad's 70th birthday in the beginning of April. It was not my first time at the Sedona Rouge and I will continue to return to the hotel as often as humanly possible. The staff is warm, welcoming, and wonderful. The rooms are great - not the typical howling coyotes and cheesy southwestern decor found in other hotels - they're modern with wonderful appointments and great bathrooms. They do need power strips on the desks, but that's really my only suggestion. They're pet-friendly, which is awesome. I've seen different rooms, but splurge and go for the spa rooms - my parents were in one and it had a really romantic tub overlooking the famous red rocks of sedona. My room was a pet-friendly room with a sliding door out to a grassy area, which was very convenient. The spa staff is also wonderful, and the spa is HUGE for an intimate hotel of this size... great steam rooms, hydro spas, and the hammam treatment is TO DIE FOR. I did something that was really cool - a "guided visualization" in my room with Iala - it was a great way to end my stay, kept me in a super positive mood for a month or so.... guess it's time to go back! Iala also does a morning yoga thing, but I can never get out of bed in time to do it, it's supposed to be great though.

To end my rambling review (I've been interrupted a few times since starting to write it), Sedona Rouge is awesome. They have everything you need on-site while feeling personal... you don't feel like you're lost in a giant mega-resort, and you never, ever feel like you're just a "tool" for additional revenue like at other places. Do what you want, when you want, and just relax and enjoy yourself.... it's a great place and I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

This hotel has tons of potential but it is the little things that keep it from being truly great when compared to hotels throughout the country. That said it is one of the nicer ones in Sedona.

We stayed for three nights in a premier room with 2 beds. With the addition of the second bed the room is very cramped . It doesn't help that with the addition of the balcony the rooms have strange angles which leaves them with corners that cannot be used. Regarding the TV/fireplace it is directly in line with one bed which means that the the person in the second bed does not have a good view of the TV (Its wall mounted above the fireplace.) As for the waterfall or rainstorm shower head---I would have preferred a deep soaking tub. The space was so big (easily could fit 4-6 adults in there with some personal space for all) that it took a while to warm up with the steam and the water so it was a chilly shower. Plus there was only a partial glass wall which made keeping water in the shower area a bit more difficult . While it was novel (and something I had experienced before) it is certainly not a selling point or something I would want to install in my own home. The linens were very nice quality and the beds/pillows were very comfortable.
As for the views: As we were advised at check in, the construction surrounding the hotel means that very few rooms actually have "views". We looked out on I-89--needless to say the balcony was wasted as I found nothing peaceful about looking at traffic. Please take note of that if views are very important to you.
The spa was nice- but it closes way too early. The last treatment time is 4:15 or 4;45 (depending if 60 or 90)minutes which means that you cannot go to dinner and get your massage right before bed; nor can you take your time to shower/use the private hydro tub or steam room following your treatment because they are closing within minutes of you getting finished.
My biggest complaint was the front desk. As a former guest service representative, the were useless. Not only were they unable to answer the most basic questions that tourists would ask (how to get to certain places etc) whenever I stopped in they were usually horsing around with other staf, not to mention that I saw at least one running around with his nametag on upside down. I also asked them to pass on a message to the concer. (who did not arrive until after 9) to get information and set up a tour--that message never passed on (thankfully I called the tour company myself who told me that they had never been contacted).
One bright spot is reds. The food is very good. They are a great start for breakfast (but a warning its $3 for a cup of coffee). Dinner was also very good....but they work with a limited menu (appetizer type/bar food) on one or two days a week so be forewarned. As for desserts--the creme brule is amazing and made on site. The carmel apple dessert tastes very processed and is probably pre-made. The prime rib, scallops, salads were all wonderful.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank new2vegas
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I stayed here two nights after visiting the Grand Canyon. We got a promotional "Spring Break" rate that we had to book before March and there was no refund. We arrived one hour before check-in time and was allowed to check-in early. The lady at the check-in was very nice. The hotel lobby area is open to the outside with a large water fountain. When we entered our room the room was very warm. It seem only the fan was on and not the airconditioner. At first I didn't see a way to adjust the room temperature. My husband found a remote control with the temperature controls inside the remote. You have to slide it open. After he figured that out we were able to get the room cooler. Our room had a plush king size bed. When I inspected the bed I found the duvet (covers the down comforter) with coffee or blood stains! I called housekeeping for a replacement and a maid quickly brought a new one. I thought hotels change these after each guest visit? Other than that the room was very clean. The balcony is for standing only but it was nice to have a view of the red rocks. The large bathroom only has a shower but it is a huge shower. I had to put down a towel in front of the entrance to the shower to keep the water from flowing out into the rest of the bathroom. My husband loved the rain shower head. The spa shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and soap are excellent. I purchased all of them from the spa before I left the hotel. The bathroom light is on the dim side but there is a makeup mirrow provided. We ate dinner our first evening at Reds (hotel restaurant) . We had an excellent waiter and meal there. It was the best meal we had in Sedona. We wished we had ate at Reds our second night instead of the Barking Frog. We did not hear any noise both nights we slept there. The king side bed was so comofortable that we slept in it as good as our own bed. The first morning we ate breakfast at Reds. The breakfast staff was not very friendly. The guy that seated us and poured our coffee never smiled. He looked like he was still trying to wake up. The waiter wasn't very friendly either. We were the second couple in the restaurant at 8 am. So it was not busy. The oatmeal with fresh fruit was excellent. It had differnt kinds of berries. The coffee was very good. We chose to eat at the Coffee Pot the next day for breakfast. It was very busy and crowded at the Coffee Pot but at least the wait staff was glad to provided service. The hotel is not in the touristy section of Sedona but it's just a short drive to that area. Sedona is not that big of a town. You don't have to drive far to get a good view. Be sure to go to the Airport Road viewpoint in the morning or evening for great views. It's a short drive from the hotel. Overall this was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at the entire week traveling thru Arizona.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Peoria Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed overnight this past Thursday and were treated like royalty by the hotel employees. Analisa greeted us like old friends and we had just been there one time before. This time we had a Spa room and it was great! Views of the Red Rocks from the window by the jacuzzi tub and we had a great rainshower shower also. The amenities in the room were beautifully scented and upon arrival we were given a tasty fruit tray. Our stay could not have been nicer. We ate breakfast in their restaurant RED and the food was not only delicious buy extremely affordable! We sat next to people from Sedona who go there for breakfast with their family and think it is the best breakfast bargain in Sedona. We agree!
Can't wait to return. I highly recommend this hotel, resort and restaurant to everyone thinking about visiting Sedona. I did not get a chance to visit the Spa but have heard it is also the best in all of Sedona. This Resort is a hidden gem.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Surbiton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

Stayed here Jan 15th and 16th 2009. Took a Premier Sedona King room which was very well appointed with a great view. Small problem with loo was quickly sorted out by reception! Didn't have time to use the spa but it looked fab. Ate in the hotels own "Reds" restaurant on night one - not the greatest meal, and the live music was dreadful, but ok. Second night we ate at "Dahl & Diluca" which is just opposite. This was one of the most expensive italian meals we have ever eaten, but my goodness, was it amazing? Quite the best food and service we had on our entire trip and that includes Vegas. Skip Reds and head over here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

I got a great deal for 40% off so of course I enjoyed every second here! We got the Deluxe Red Rock- One King with DELUXE RED ROCK / KING / STEP-OUT BALCONY / RED ROCK VIEW. The place was clean, cozy, and relaxing. I swear one of the most enjoyable things was that they folded the toilet paper and tissues into cute designs. I couldn't stop laughing. We had two little balconies, but if you just pull up a chair and open the patio door and screen, it's like having a big balcony. The bed was more comfortable than a sleep number and we even had a couch. I would definitely come back to this place, but next time we're getting the best room! I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank romantix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

The beginning of our trip was wonderful. Nice room, beautiful property, excellent concierge. When we arrived, our room was not yet ready so we sat by the pool and were served wine poolside while we waited. Fantastic vacation. We loved it until the very end. The only complaints I had during our stay were that the maid service was not great. They left garbage bags on the floor and didn't really clean, just made the bed and switched the towels. The large showers were wonderful, but the shower floor was flush with the bathroom floor and the shower door did not touch the floor so half the bathroom flooded every time we showered. Also, the large balcony of the hotel overlooks a strip mall/supermarket parking lot which is not exactly romantic.

But what ruined everything happened after we checked out. I woke up feeling sick so we rushed to pack and check out. As soon as we boarded the plane home, I realized I had not put on my diamond earrings or necklace after I showered. I left them next to the lamp on the desk at the hotel (such a careless and stupid mistake on my part, I know). We immediately called the hotel as soon as we landed. At first they told us there was nothing they could do since there was no manager there. Finally, the person at the desk said he would send someone up to look in the room since no one else had checked in. I told him exactly where I left them, but they said there was nothing there. They claimed housekeeping and the person who checked were the only people to have been in the room since we left, but housekeeping kept lost and found in a separate safe that the desk did not have access to, and we would have to call back the next day. Regardless, we immediately filed a police report.

The next day they could not find my jewelry. They claimed they checked over the entire room and through the laundry filters, etc. They also apparently questioned the staff to no avail. These earrings are the only expensive piece of jewelry I have ever owned, so needless to say I was extremely upset. I called the hotel again later asking what else was being done, and they told me nothing and that this has only happened once in the past and apparently that couple called back apologizing for accusing staff of stealing after they found their belongings in their luggage. I understand people misplace things, but I also explained to them that I knew I did not misplace my jewelry, I was simply careless and forgot to put it back on. I told them that I never packed my jewelry in my luggage because I wore it at all times day and night, and the only time I took it off was for the 10 minutes I took a shower every morning (I do this everyday, not just on vacation). And every morning I placed it in the exact same spot on the desk while I showered because I was so paranoid. But it didn’t matter what I said, they basically said too bad.

The police officer who took our report also got nowhere with the hotel management. I understand they want to defend their own staff, but from the second we told them, they constantly treated us as if we, the customers, were always wrong. They told us that these types of situations just don’t happen there. Their attitude towards us made the whole situation so much more upsetting. It is my fault for having left my valuables, and I understand that. But I have never stayed at a hotel that did not want to please and help the customer in any way possible. We will never return to the Sedona Rouge.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KonaGirl120
ed_conway, General Manager at Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2009
We received a call at 8PM (guest checked out at 11AM same day) to report a missing necklace. Our front office agent checked our lost& found log book which did not indicate anything was turned in that day. The room was inspected right away by our housekeeping supervisor and on-duty turn down attendant (the room had already been cleaned and was ready for an expected arrival) and nothing was found.

We interviewed the turn down attendant who handled the room the previous evening and she reported noting was noticed and did not see a necklace.

The following morning my Rooms Director and laundry staff checked linens waiting to be processed, drains and lint traps and nothing was found.

The room was checked a second time by my front office manager including all furniture, closet, dresser drawers and nothing was found upon guest's calling in to check status and if item was found.

Guest informed us that she would file a police report the lost necklace. On December 23rd we recieved call from State Farm Insurance agent and call from Sedona PD Officer to verify guest had stayed at hotel. We did not have anyone from the insurance and or police department come to the hotel and investigate.

The hotel has since opening 3 years ago tracked, logged, secured and shipped many items left at the hotel to guests. In many cases return calls from guests have indicted the items had been found in luggage, purses and or vehicle and appreciated our follow up. We have a very good relationship with the Sedona Police Department and would extend all proper courtesies when they are conducting an investigation.

We are open to continuing communications with the guest....my email
econway@sedonarouge.com